• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Installed EBC pads/rotors and painted calipers

Started by Agentlongwood, December 09, 2017, 07:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

Not gunna lie, I was exhausted by the time I got to painting the calipers... So it may be the shoddiest caliper paint job in history lol.  Used Duplicolor brush on caliper paint.  This was my first time doing brakes on this platform, so I started around 6pm and finished at 11pm.  Having to stop to run and get the stupid tool for pushing in the rear pistons... There is a special place in hell for the man responsible for those twist-in style piston. 

The pads are EBC Red Stuff Ceramic.  I painted the shims red as well.  The rotors are EBC's new "super quiet" USR slotted rotors.  The lighting in the pics is super harsh because it was about 1130 at night and I was holding my phone in one hand, and an LED shop light in the other. 

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

I'm liking the overall EBC Setup! especially the inverted cooling vanes on the rotors! enjoy.
The suspension looks pretty clean IMO and probably due to the warmer southern climate.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Looks really good.
I like the vented hubs around the Knuckle.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

sholxgt

Nice!  Please report back after a few miles.  Especially if you get a chance to do a high speed stop.  If I keep my car long enough, I will change my set up.  Mine feel OK until I try to slow from high speeds a few times in a row.

We had those rotors on another car and they held up really well.  Was running Hawk HPS pads with them.  Both worked well.  Trying to pick that cars next brake pads now.  Doing a mild upsize on it and already have the USR rotors again, but in a larger diameter.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

bpd1151

The aesthetic / visual looks nice.

However, many have reported less than stellar experiences with the Red Stuff pads.

They're not typically recommended for our big heavy pigs either. Not to poo poo on them, but good luck.

I suspect the pads will get replaced sooner than expected/desired.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

avidmotion

I suggest yellowstuff my new favorite pad. I have EBC RK SPORT rotors, no holes or slots. I also have PP, the yellowstuff pads are about 40% stickier with no negatives, work well cold or wet. Love them...
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Macgyver

Nice work on the painting and such. Stands out very well.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: sholxgt on December 09, 2017, 05:52:43 PM
Nice!  Please report back after a few miles.  Especially if you get a chance to do a high speed stop.  If I keep my car long enough, I will change my set up.  Mine feel OK until I try to slow from high speeds a few times in a row.

Will do man.  The instructions that came with them said not to do any severe braking until you put 200 miles of "urban driving" on them.  This is to wear through the layer of brake in material on the pads.  Then do 5 hard brakes from 60mph to 20mph.  After that I'll see how they feel.  As of now, in normal driving they feel the same as stock.  The USR rotors are dead quiet.  I drove around a parking lot and a back road with the windows down.  I couldn't hear a thing. 

I know some folks had less than ideal experiences with Red Stuff.  I wanted to use them since they are (to my knowledge) the only ceramic pad in EBCs line.  Red Stuff used to be a non-ceramic formula, so I don't know if the bad experiences were from the older pads.  Hopefully they last a good while, but if not, I know what I got into and I won't shed a tear, lol. 

That said, when I first pulled out of my driveway I thought I screwed something up MAJORLY.  The brakes groaned so loud, I was certain something was grinding or broken.  Turns out that's just what it sounds like till the black layer wears off the rotors.  A couple laps around my block and it went away.  Phew  :)

avidmotion

My experience with Redstuff is from a Buick Regal GS, loved them, perfect match....G8 GT FBO, heavy car too, redstuff was the best pad ever invented until I got 11,000 out of the front pads, thinking anomaly of some sort, and they were sweet I tried them again. It was summer and I drive like it was stolen. Brakes worked great until they didnt, 9,800 miles front pads ground to metal, parts of the pad burnt and crumbled. Was not at any track with that set of pads. Was suppose to be pretty good with dust but I should of known something amiss when they were the dirtiest pads ever. They work great just keep an eye on them. Never pair EBC redstuff pads with DBA 4000 series rotors or their gold line, incompatiable metal vs pad structure.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: ZSHO on December 09, 2017, 09:52:21 AM
I'm liking the overall EBC Setup! especially the inverted cooling vanes on the rotors!

I think you mean the slots and not the vanes, and funny thing about that... My front rotors were mislabeled.  There is a little green sticker that says L or R on each rotor.  I put the front discs on as labeled, and then noticed the slots on the rears faced the other direction.  I checked it over and over and yeah, the front and rears were labeled in opposite directions.  I went with how the fronts were labeled, and did the rear rotors opposite of how they were labeled so all 4 corners would match. 

After reading your comment about them being inverted I looked it up.  Yup they are on backwards, lol.  But I contacted EBC and verified that the actual cooling vanes for these rotors are non-directional.  So it doesn't make any difference which way they are put on.  Slots can go either way.  Brembo actually does them the way I put these on.  EBC chose to do the other way.  So crisis averted.  It makes no difference at all which way the slots face on these rotors, since the cooling vanes are not directional.  Heart-attack avoided.   

gtmorgan23

can you post a direct link to this setup? like summit, amazon, etc.

curious of the cost comparison to powerstop.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

Agentlongwood

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on December 11, 2017, 12:16:48 PM
can you post a direct link to this setup? like summit, amazon, etc.

curious of the cost comparison to powerstop.

Sure thing.  I went with THmotorsports.  The price was better through them than it was anywhere else I could find.  Autoanything was close but still a bit higher. 

You do have to actually add the items to the cart to see the price.  It annoys me but hey, if the price is right, I'll deal with it.  I think it was $516 total, for pads and rotors for all 4 corners.  They were doing free shipping when I ordered too.

Front:
https://thmotorsports.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s4-redstuff-and-usr-rotors/s4kf1635/i-2264825.aspx

Rear:
https://thmotorsports.com/ebc-brakes/ebc-brake-kit-s4-redstuff-and-usr-rotors/s4kr1384/i-2266320.aspx

FoMoCoSHO

SHOdded

Z had posted links earlier to raceconsultingagency.com before.  They seem to have the lowest shipped price of any vendor around.  Worth a look.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on December 11, 2017, 05:47:44 PM
Z had posted links earlier to raceconsultingagency.com before.  They seem to have the lowest shipped price of any vendor around.  Worth a look.
Hmmm...That site looks very much like the THM site...I'm gonna guess they may be owned by the same company?

And $4.00 more...