• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Blue smoke after hard acceleration - Will a catch can help?

Started by Gray Brick, December 04, 2017, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

pmezo33

How much oil are you burning between oil changes?  How do the plugs look?  I'd check compression on each cylinder.  If everything is good, might be the turbos.  How many miles you got on her?

ZSHO

X2 on ^^^ ! There is an updated PCV System oil separator as per TSB. Z
How's the oil level? 

13+ TSB can be found below.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.0.html

! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gray Brick

120,000 miles. Oil is in the middle of the hashes on the dipstick.  The CAC has 1/4" of crud. All plugs are very clean and compression is within 10% from cylinder to cylinder.

Runs like a champ.

Does anyone know the part number for the oil separator & PCV?
I would rather just replace it than put the car back to stock and bring it to the dealer.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) Valve. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-08.
2. Inspect for oil in the crankcase vent oil separator through the PCV valve opening. Is there presence of liquid oil, more  than slight vapor?
a. No - this article does not apply refer to WSM, Section 303-00 for Excessive Engine Oil Consumption.
b. Yes - proceed to Step 3.
3. Replace the right hand valve cover, refer to WSM, Section 303-01D.
4. Replace the crankcase vent oil separator, refer to WSM, Section 303-08.
5. Drive the vehicle at normal operating temperature for 20 minutes at constant highway speed to remove oil residue from catalytic converter.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gray Brick

Thank you!!!

I will take the separator off to see if it is gunked up with oil.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

ZSHO

I used a 8mm socket to remove the two bolts followed by a retaining clip in the back of oil Sep!  Z

P-121+

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1300.pdf

Gray Brick

ZSHO,

Was your separator considerably oily?

Does the TSB including valve cover remedy this?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

ZSHO

Quote from: Gray Brick on December 08, 2017, 10:38:02 AM
ZSHO,

Was your separator considerably oily?

Does the TSB including valve cover remedy this?
The rear valve cover and oil Separator plus PCV were replaced under warranty a couple years back as per TSB.
They found evidence of oil inside the crankcase vent oil Separator accompanied by oil around the rear valve cover gasket.
The TSB did address my concerns with the excessive oil smoking coming from the tailpipe.

! No longer available

Gray Brick

This is what my oil separator looks like.
Might be time for the TSB Service.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

derfdog15

Quote from: Gray Brick on December 08, 2017, 01:02:41 PM

That is mighty nasty
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

Quote from: Gray Brick on December 08, 2017, 01:02:41 PM
GB do you have a wider screen shot of the area in question!  Thanks.  Z

ZSHO

Gray Brick

Put on UPR catch can and changed the PCV valve / separator.

No more smoke...

I will be changing my oil this weekend and draining the catch can.

Not sure what the culprit was but the smoke is gone!
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

TimmyATL

GB. Is your concern of blue smoke after WOT still resolved. I have the same problem since I went to straight pipes and after a good pull spraying the Methanol when I come to a stop I have blue smoke. Oil level never drops, spark plugs are clean.  I did the TSB three years ago for the oil separator/PCV valve, and valve cover. I had a couple of JLT catch cans and installed them for now. I just went into parts and ordered a new oil separator/PCV. I think it is the PCV system that is allowing oil into the intake and when you are WOT the methanol is cleaning and washing down the oil that is in the intake. when you come to a stop it is still burning the oil that is still in the system. Just my $.02
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5