• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Bad rotor(s) giving symptoms of an out of balance wheel(s)?

Started by SilvererSHO, November 30, 2017, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on November 30, 2017, 03:41:40 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on November 30, 2017, 03:07:59 PM
ok wait.  what tires are you using with the PI wheels?

New or used?  If these are used, you may have a belt separation issue.

Brand new tires and these symptoms have been happening pretty much since I installed them.  Not really getting any better or worse over the last 3 weeks or so.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on November 30, 2017, 03:39:37 PM
An out of balance rotor can cause these effects BUT...rotors don't generally get out of balance.  They are usually either right from the beginning or wrong from the beginning.  Warped rotors generally only have an affect when braking.

I know it's cold, but on a dry day, I'd swap wheels/tires and see if the problem goes away.  If too cold, have a tire shop to it.  I think that's your fastest way to rule out one large possibility.

Anything is possible, but I'm doubting this is a rotor issue.

No no no no no....I'm not afraid of a little cold weather or working outside.  It's just too cold to safely drive on them now is all.

sholxgt

Quote from: SilvererSHO on November 30, 2017, 04:16:42 PM
An out of balance rotor can cause these effects BUT...rotors don't generally get out of balance.  They are usually either right from the beginning or wrong from the beginning.  Warped rotors generally only have an affect when braking.

I know it's cold, but on a dry day, I'd swap wheels/tires and see if the problem goes away.  If too cold, have a tire shop to it.  I think that's your fastest way to rule out one large possibility.

No no no no no....I'm not afraid of a little cold weather or working outside.  It's just too cold to safely drive on them now is all.

Maybe I was projecting.  LOL  I'm fickle and not a fan of working in the cold or hot.

I'd swap them and go for a drive.  As long as the roads are dry, you'll be fine.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

Sorry a bit late to the party!  I have read your post a few times and sounds like one of your TIRES are out of whack!!!! (Defective) 
It pretty much sounds like the symptoms of the 2nd reviewer below IMO.  Z
I would try swapping the wheels around as many have kindly suggested to see if the vibration diminishes.

https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?&category=tire&additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=All+Season&fromTireDetail=true&partnum=855TR6AS&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D855TR6AS

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SilvererSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on November 30, 2017, 04:21:15 PM
Quote from: SilvererSHO on November 30, 2017, 04:16:42 PM

Maybe I was projecting.  LOL  I'm fickle and not a fan of working in the cold or hot.

I'd swap them and go for a drive.  As long as the roads are dry, you'll be fine.

QuoteAs long as the roads are dry, you'll be fine.

No, not really.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=273

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/performance-tires-crack-winter-cracking/index.htm

sholxgt

Would there really be a problem running around with performance tires in the cold for a couple of hours?

I've only experienced around zero on performance tires when visiting relatives in Ohio.  No crash happened, but I've not driven at way cold temps.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SilvererSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on November 30, 2017, 04:23:06 PM
Sorry a bit late to the party!  I have your post a few times and sounds like one of your TIRES are out of whack!!!! (Defective) 
It pretty much sounds like the symptoms of the 2nd reviewer below IMO.  Z
I would try swapping the wheels around as many have kindly suggested to see if the vibration diminishes.

https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?&category=tire&additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=All+Season&fromTireDetail=true&partnum=855TR6AS&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D855TR6AS

I'm starting to think so too.  I'll set up an appointment with the shop I bought them from and if they can't find anything I'll swap them front to rear to see if the vibration seems to shift to the rear of the car.  Then I'll at least know It's one of those two tires.  How do you check for ply separation?

Jordan

I completely agree with ZSHO! Check for a warped tire! Don't drive that thing far if that's the case! Bubbled tires, a broken belt or something is wrong with at least one of your tires. They will balance out just fine, but it's like you are driving on an oval instead of a circle causing major vibrations that will only get worse!
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

Dxlnt1

You say you KNOW you have a bad rotor? DEAL WITH THAT! You will have to eventually anyway, may as well eliminate it from the equation.

There is also a consensus that tire/wheels affect ride quality. That's the free option since this only became prevalent after you switched wheels.

You also asked how could brakes when not applied affect wheel rotation. Remember the pads only disengage from the rotor by a few centimeters, not inches. ANY movement off center CAN affect the rotating mass. The question becomes is it enough for you to feel it? I would say ALL of our cars do something that we DONT notice. Good or bad from as simple as turn signal not working to an engine misfire. Doesn't mean its not happening we just haven't noticed it.

If I read correctly, I think you said you are running 18" wheels? I may be wrong that is a NOT a factory size the SHO. Only 19" and/or 20" So best believe a non OEM size be it width OR diameter CAN affect rotational balance. And if tire installer balanced wheel as 18", 19" or 20". Sounds impossible but a simple oversight, MAYBE!

Also, you keep asking the same question. Almost like you are waiting to hear a silver bullet and AHA moment. There MAY not be. Possibilities are numerous. Try the easy and simple first.

Your solution that cost you nothing is to reinstall your summer tires. Then repair rotors/brakes. Oh just because a tire is new doesn't mean it is without defect. A used tire was used and replaced for a reason!
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SilvererSHO

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 01, 2017, 09:39:09 AM
You say you KNOW you have a bad rotor? DEAL WITH THAT! You will have to eventually anyway, may as well eliminate it from the equation.

There is also a consensus that tire/wheels affect ride quality. That's the free option since this only became prevalent after you switched wheels.

You also asked how could brakes when not applied affect wheel rotation. Remember the pads only disengage from the rotor by a few centimeters, not inches. ANY movement off center CAN affect the rotating mass. The question becomes is it enough for you to feel it? I would say ALL of our cars do something that we DONT notice. Good or bad from as simple as turn signal not working to an engine misfire. Doesn't mean its not happening we just haven't noticed it.

If I read correctly, I think you said you are running 18" wheels? I may be wrong that is a NOT a factory size the SHO. Only 19" and/or 20" So best believe a non OEM size be it width OR diameter CAN affect rotational balance. And if tire installer balanced wheel as 18", 19" or 20". Sounds impossible but a simple oversight, MAYBE!

Also, you keep asking the same question. Almost like you are waiting to hear a silver bullet and AHA moment. There MAY not be. Possibilities are numerous. Try the easy and simple first.

Your solution that cost you nothing is to reinstall your summer tires. Then repair rotors/brakes. Oh just because a tire is new doesn't mean it is without defect. A used tire was used and replaced for a reason!

I do have bad rotors just like probably half the people running 10-12 SHO's have bad rotors too.  I'm waiting 'till after Christmas to upgrade to a 13+ brake setup so why would I waste my time or money doing that when the brakes work fine and I have plenty of pad left?  I never had this problem 'till I changed wheels and tires.

Never said anything about "ride quality" and as far as that goes it should be better with the 18" rubber vs. the 20" rubber so I don't understand your point.  It's a vibration issue.

The pads do not disengage the rotors by a "few centimeters" on any car that I am aware of.  Technically they don't disengage hardly at all.

Your fourth paragraph makes no sense.  Are you aware how a tire is balanced?  And did you miss the part where I said they've already been balanced twice?

Yes, I asked if a bad rotor could throw the balance off and you're the only person that claimed it could. Now after reading this post, I have to be honest with you, you give me no reason to believe you at all because you seem to be unaware how brakes work and tires are balanced.

I am NOT installing my summer tires when it's cold out.  Why would I chance wrecking $800 worth of rubber?  Did you read the two links I posted?  And how is this a "solution"?  There's a reason I put all seasons on the car for the winter.

SilvererSHO

Last night I swapped the left front that I think is the culprit with the left rear.  It seems to have shifted to the rear now so I think I at least have the bad tire narrowed down to that one hopefully.  I'll find out what's wrong with it next week when I get it to the shop.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: SilvererSHO on December 01, 2017, 12:05:09 PM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 01, 2017, 09:39:09 AM

I do have bad rotors just like probably half the people running 10-12 SHO's have bad rotors too.  I'm waiting 'till after Christmas to upgrade to a 13+ brake setup so why would I waste my time or money doing that when the brakes work fine and I have plenty of pad left?  I never had this problem 'till I changed wheels and tires.

Never said anything about "ride quality" and as far as that goes it should be better with the 18" rubber vs. the 20" rubber so I don't understand your point.  It's a vibration issue.

The pads do not disengage the rotors by a "few centimeters" on any car that I am aware of.  Technically they don't disengage hardly at all.

Your fourth paragraph makes no sense.  Are you aware how a tire is balanced?  And did you miss the part where I said they've already been balanced twice?

Yes, I asked if a bad rotor could throw the balance off and you're the only person that claimed it could. Now after reading this post, I have to be honest with you, you give me no reason to believe you at all because you seem to be unaware how brakes work and tires are balanced.

I am NOT installing my summer tires when it's cold out.  Why would I chance wrecking $800 worth of rubber?  Did you read the two links I posted?  And how is this a "solution"?  There's a reason I put all seasons on the car for the winter.

First, most people (especially "high performance" cars) don't knowingly drive on bad rotors! If a problem is discovered it is addressed hopefully sooner as opposed to later. You said you knowingly are driving on I believe you said cracked rotors! Very few if any reputable shops will install old rotors with new pads? So if you did that yourself for the sake of time and money for a later upgrade, then deal with the consequences of that decision that MAY surface. And your brakes apparently may not be working fine. Because you feeling vibration!

You never stated unless I missed it and I may have, that you intend to do a brake "UPGRADE" next year! If missed it and I may have, then a blonde moment by me. I APOLOGIZE! So the help that is offered is only as good as the information that is given. With that, I as well as others have suggested put the other tires back on and see. I suggested try them a few miles. Someone else said a few hours. And that within itself should not "destroy" them as you say. If driving on your "GOOD $800" tires for 20 miles or 2 hours destroys them then you have other issues with your car. I as well as others have stated wheels and/or tires as possibilities. Maybe you bought a car you couldn't afford?

The ride quality I was speaking of was the vibration. Vibration in the drive train or wheels affects what? RIDE QUALITY! Otherwise you wouldn't be here asking about a vibration that you "FEEL"! As for tire size, will an 18" ride "better" than 20"? I don't know. But you acknowledge that it will ride different! Which is why I said a non OEM size can affect things.

Personal attack? If YOU understood how a tire is balanced, you would know measurements of rim width and tire diameter are input into the spin balancer! Tire is then spun. I also said it could have been an oversight and MAYBE someone input wrong number. We're human and prone to mistakes.

With this, I will bow out of this discussion. It is becoming personal and if I "REACT" again as I should NOT have this time, it will get worse. So moderators and fellow members, forgive my tone.

But apparently you too (EXPLETIVE) novice to understand how your car works. Are too (EXPLETIVE) stubborn to try what has been suggested (reinstall "GOOD" tires). Too (EXPLETIVE) arrogant to receive input or suggestions from ALL members. SO go drive your (EXPLETIVE) car until the (EXPLETIVE) vibration rattles your (EXPLETIVE) teeth out! And you only have 6 post on this forum?

Now, go watch this (EXPLETIVE) video and (EXPLETIVE) LEARN how brakes work. Simply put, there is a (EXPLETIVE) clamping action and a (EXPLETIVE) releasing action that takes place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmls5foCor0

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

ZSHO

FYI - There will be no swearing of any kind and is solely prohibited and need to respect that and move on.  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Quote from: ZSHO on December 01, 2017, 03:00:14 PM
There will be no swearing of any kind and is solely prohibited and need to respect that and move on.  Z 
X1,000,000!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!