• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wrapping chrome trunk trim/camera housing

Started by GIGANTORE, November 26, 2017, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIGANTORE

In an effort to get rid of all the chrome, I'm plotting the process of wrapping the chrome trim that houses the backup camera and ford logo. The things I'm wondering about are..
- Does the ford logo separate from the chrome trim?
- Are there any known sources for a DIY removal of ford schematic?

Getting the trunk and door trim wrapped is gonna be nice.

Heelfan1

Just had mine done recently. I went with satin black. Did all trim but the company that did it couldn't get the ford emblem on the rear to look right but it's not really noticeable. I was going to plastic dip it but ended up leaving it.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

derfdog15

I do believe the ford emblem can be removed from the trim, BUT it is a pain to do so. The trunk trim in general is pretty annoying to remove for the purpose of wrapping. There are multiple, *fragile* clips, and I believe a few screws. The window trim is also annoying as it is a very thin material and can be easily warped/bent out of proper shape when removing. It isn't too expensive for new from ford, which is good, but it is a lot more than I would want to spend on extra parts for wrapping.

That said, a pro most likely will have experience. I plasti-dipped my SHO and it held up pretty well until the car got totalled.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

donky4444

I had mine wrapped in gloss black and I had them cover the FORD logo and replace it with chrome SHO.  I also had the front emblem done the same way.  The only chrome left on my car now is the SHO I added front and rear and the SHO on the fender badge.  I wrapped the chrome trim on the fender badge.  I also had them wrap the Ford logo on my steering wheel in black with chrome SHO.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

ShoNuff757

Just out of curiosity, what's everyone paying to get the chrome wrapped in black?
2011 SHO non-PP. Tuned by AJP Turbo.

"Remember: No matter where you go...there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

derfdog15

Quote from: ShoNuff757 on May 02, 2018, 03:19:15 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's everyone paying to get the chrome wrapped in black?

The body shop that ended up looking over my SHO when it got totaled out, told me that if I got another and wanted to black it out as I had done with plasti-dip, they could do it with proper automotive paint, or even tuxedo black - paint to match, and would charge 500 for it total. That is a smoking price, and I would expect it to be a bit more for painted, but I would think wrap would come in close to that...
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

donky4444

I paid $330 to have all the chrome wrapped but they did admit they misquoted me and it should have been more like $450-$500.

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

EcoAbe

Quote from: donky4444 on May 02, 2018, 04:23:37 PM

I paid $330 to have all the chrome wrapped but they did admit they misquoted me and it should have been more like $450-$500.

I have been quoted $500 and two days "just to be safe" at three locations to do the trunk strip, the window trim, and the chrome surround on the grill.

Donky, did you have yours wrapped in Kzoo or did you come up to GR to have it done?
2015 Bronze Fire Non PP w/ 401a package

donky4444

Quote from: EcoAbe on May 03, 2018, 11:13:00 AM
Quote from: donky4444 on May 02, 2018, 04:23:37 PM

I have been quoted $500 and two days "just to be safe" at three locations to do the trunk strip, the window trim, and the chrome surround on the grill.

Donky, did you have yours wrapped in Kzoo or did you come up to GR to have it done?

I had it done at Wraps N Signs in Kalamazoo. I was quoted almost $700 by another place in town.

EcoAbe

Quote from: donky4444 on May 04, 2018, 09:10:09 AM
I had it done at Wraps N Signs in Kalamazoo. I was quoted almost $700 by another place in town.

Good lord $$

Do you have an "after" photo with the wrapped trim?

donky4444

EcoAbe

Man that thing rocks... black and grey is so sinister.

Right as I read this post last week, a colleague in his recently wrapped S4 came into work to show me what he had done and recommended a newer shop in town... Quality was incredible and the guy works with one customer at a time so his attention to detail is spot on. I went last Friday and set up an appointment to have him wrap my trim on Wednesday. Stoked to be de-chromed finally.

donky4444

Quote from: EcoAbe on May 07, 2018, 07:34:28 AM
Man that thing rocks... black and grey is so sinister.

Right as I read this post last week, a colleague in his recently wrapped S4 came into work to show me what he had done and recommended a newer shop in town... Quality was incredible and the guy works with one customer at a time so his attention to detail is spot on. I went last Friday and set up an appointment to have him wrap my trim on Wednesday. Stoked to be de-chromed finally.

You'll love it. It really transforms the car.

ShoNuff757

2011 SHO non-PP. Tuned by AJP Turbo.

"Remember: No matter where you go...there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

EcoAbe

Well I was able to get in two days early and you were not lying Donky... complete 180 from bling machine to stealth mode