• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SHO Gen 4.1 suspension codes

Started by FoMoCoSHO, November 21, 2017, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

So I really like the MKS but am completely underwhelmed by the suspension.

Struts were replaced under warranty and I did the shocks at the same time.

Still rides like a marshmallow and I found out that Lincoln used the base MKS suspension in the Ecoboost as well  >:(

So... I'm looking at options and one is ripping all that crap out and putting in SHO components.

Easy Peasy, right?

Wrong, there are 5 different suspension codes.

If anyone with a 4.1 PP or NONPP knows their suspension code, it would be greatly appreciated. A VIN from anyone who has one would get me the answer as well.

Other options...

Slap SHO or H&R springs on the Current setup..

Coilovers

Am I forgetting anything?

GIGANTORE

I wasnt happy with the H&R springs. I am however SUPER happy with my BC coilovers. If youve got a spare $1000 in your suspension budget, I say go for it.

slurppie

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 21, 2017, 01:50:06 PM
So I really like the MKS but am completely underwhelmed by the suspension.

Struts were replaced under warranty and I did the shocks at the same time.

Still rides like a marshmallow and I found out that Lincoln used the base MKS suspension in the Ecoboost as well  >:(

So... I'm looking at options and one is ripping all that crap out and putting in SHO components.

Easy Peasy, right?

Wrong, there are 5 different suspension codes.

If anyone with a 4.1 PP or NONPP knows their suspension code, it would be greatly appreciated. A VIN from anyone who has one would get me the answer as well.

Other options...

Slap SHO or H&R springs on the Current setup..

Coilovers

Am I forgetting anything?
Just messaged you my VIN

Sent from my Speak N Spell using tin cans and string.

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: GIGANTORE on November 21, 2017, 01:58:06 PM
I wasnt happy with the H&R springs. I am however SUPER happy with my BC coilovers. If youve got a spare $1000 in your suspension budget, I say go for it.
It's a definite possibility but doing coilovers without a proper corner balance bothers me. If I'm gonna spend that kind of cash, I want it done correctly and don't want to leave any performance on the table.

FoMoCoSHO

Does anyone know if springs are interchangeable between 4.1 and 4.2?

Agentlongwood

I don't have codes, but I drive a 2014 MKS and can give some suspension info.  The 2013 MKS has adjustable suspension, but it isn't actually determined by putting the shift lever into D or S.  Those are for throttle response/shifting etc.  You assign suspension settings on the LCD screen to the left of the tach.  It's under "drive mode" settings I think.  There are 3 modes, Comfort - hilariously soft... normal - Medium setting... Sport - Stiff setting.  You have to assign a mode to each of the shifter positions.  I have D set to normal, and S set to Sport.  On long road trips I will change D to Comfort.  When I have the suspension set to Sport it feels too harsh going over speed bumps near me, so I just wanted to double check that you verified that S was set to sport suspension.  It might sound super obvious, but I won't lie, it took me days to figure out.  I tore through the touchscreen menus so many times before finding out that it wasn't in the touchscreen, but the small LCD menu instead.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on November 21, 2017, 02:23:21 PM
I don't have codes, but I drive a 2014 MKS and can give some suspension info.  The 2013 MKS has adjustable suspension, but it isn't actually determined by putting the shift lever into D or S.  Those are for throttle response/shifting etc.  You assign suspension settings on the LCD screen to the left of the tach.  It's under "drive mode" settings I think.  There are 3 modes, Comfort - hilariously soft... normal - Medium setting... Sport - Stiff setting.  You have to assign a mode to each of the shifter positions.  I have D set to normal, and S set to Sport.  On long road trips I will change D to Comfort.  When I have the suspension set to Sport it feels too harsh going over speed bumps near me, so I just wanted to double check that you verified that S was set to sport suspension.  It might sound super obvious, but I won't lie, it took me days to figure out.  I tore through the touchscreen menus so many times before finding out that it wasn't in the touchscreen, but the small LCD menu instead.
All us 4.1 guys get is hilariously soft, no adaptive suspension...

Agentlongwood

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 21, 2017, 02:33:39 PM

You gotta forgive my ignorance on the topic, lol. When you say all the 4.1 guys get the soft suspension, does that mean the MKS you are talking about is a 2010-2012?  And that the MKS before 2013 didn't have adjustable suspension?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on November 21, 2017, 02:58:59 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on November 21, 2017, 02:33:39 PM

You gotta forgive my ignorance on the topic, lol. When you say all the 4.1 guys get the soft suspension, does that mean the MKS you are talking about is a 2010-2012?  And that the MKS before 2013 didn't have adjustable suspension?
Correct

ZSHO

FoMoCo I would get a set of H&R Springs and call it a day.  Z
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4008874/2009-lincoln-mks/

BBOX has Gen 4.1 IIRC .
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2624.msg39178.html#msg39178                             

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on November 21, 2017, 03:03:43 PM
FoMoCo I would get a set of H&R Springs and call it a day.  Z
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4008874/2009-lincoln-mks/

BBOX has Gen 4.1 IIRC .
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,2624.msg39178.html#msg39178                             

I definitely get what you are saying....

If I thought that plus some sticky summers would get me the 60's I'm looking for there wouldn't even be a discussion.

The last track outing proved difficult to launch at that power level. Consider also I was down 6-8 degrees the entire run due to 140+ IAT2's, lol. Better DA, add that spark back, and get a good 60 and she's damn close to 11's on tune only.

arrivalblue

I thought those settings were for how it shifted.... it's for the suspension??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

There is no "4.1" or "4.2".

The proper nomenclature is:

2010-2012 = GEN4
2013-2018 = GEN5

Moving along, FoMoCo if you are still looking for VIN's in order to differentiate between a Non-PP versus a PP equipped SHO, I can PM you mine. LMK.

That said, I would STRONGLY recommend coil overs.

By far a stellar improvement across the board.

bamsho

2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

StealBlueSho

I agree with BPD... even if you don't want to corner balance them, having struts/shocks that matched exactly to the spring set are worth it alone. HRs are fine but I have read under certain conditions the rear end bobbles like an import...

Even if you go with the budget friendly Megan's I would say they are a step up over the HRs... even without corner  balancing...

Another benefit is you can stiffen them up on track days... and make them comfortable for daily driving by softening them up.. that alone is worth it...

I played with the settings at the track... by tightening up the Coilovers I saw a noticeable improvement in my 60ft... then loosened em for the ride home...

My .2...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk