• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ford Nav system - intermittent accuracy?

Started by metroplex, November 21, 2017, 04:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

My 2014 SHO has the MyFordTouch SYNC2 system, and my Navigation has been acting up a lot recently. It's showing my car is driving as much as 1/4 mile off course. And then on some days, it is spot on. I did swap out my A4 card for an A7 but the A4 card exhibits the same behavior and I've observed perfect accuracy with the A7 card on certain days.

Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

ZSHO

When was the last time you updated the Sync System? Z
What's your Nav application version on screen ?

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

I'm still on v3.8 from Nov 2015. They haven't made v3.10 available on the SYNC website. My Nav card is A7, but the original A4 does the same thing. It's at the point where it shows me driving through buildings, lakes, open fields, aubdivisions, etc. And then on some days, it is spot on.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

ZSHO

T5DG183206FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIMField Service Action Number:12M02 . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

metroplex

Yes that is from 2012. I'm just wondering if there's a known issue or a known solution. I probably won't take it in.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Any change in tires or wheels?  Sometimes a recalibration is needed to bring the navigation back to "good".
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3836.msg78999.html#msg78999
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

C. I recall you having issues with the rear camera! I wonder if that would correlate with the Nav inaccuracy!
Is the the screen distorted or have any lines on it?  Z

metroplex

Yes, I'm running non stock sized tires. I recalibrated the speedometer so it is spot on. How would they recalibrate the GPSM to match the new tires?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

jmr061

The GPSM likely needs its software updated. 
Jason
16 Edge Sport

metroplex

12.4 @ 110.9 mph

SHOdded

Maybe 1/2 hr labor?  From the link I posted

OPERATION    DESCRIPTION    TIME

140037A Reprogram The GPSM Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I would say roughly $30.00 to be a realistic number.  Z

Heelfan1

On mine it was the antenna. If the software doesn't fix it check that next. I took mine in for the same behavior and nothing fixed it and they wanted to replace unit itself. Checked online and found some issues of antenna's going bad and replaced it myself and problem solved.

For those that don't know, these systems work in multiple ways to account for black outs such as inner city or trees that would block your signal. It will use the computer to estimate where you are. That's why mine would sometimes be accurate and then show you off course. Even then it would sometimes fix itself and show you dead on, it was really strange to think it was the antenna doing this but that was what fixed it.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

metroplex

Now that you mention it, the Sirius free trial that is going on now has showed me that the Sirius signal sometimes breaks up and is very sensitive to any type of interference. Sometimes the music cuts out when it is wide open. My antenna cover clicks around like it is very loose.

Do you have details on how to replace the antenna and what parts are needed?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Heelfan1

Quote from: metroplex on November 22, 2017, 03:25:41 PM
Now that you mention it, the Sirius free trial that is going on now has showed me that the Sirius signal sometimes breaks up and is very sensitive to any type of interference. Sometimes the music cuts out when it is wide open. My antenna cover clicks around like it is very loose.

Do you have details on how to replace the antenna and what parts are needed?

Sorry mine was on my truck but the same antenna. The truck was on the front above the windshield and wasn't too bad to replace. Try tasca parts they usually show a diagram of the part and how it connects. Most likely there is a connection close to the rear and wouldn't have to run a cable the entire length of the car. But with my kinda luck you would have to. Even so you will have to most likely take the headliner out or at least loose.

The truck had about a 3 ft pigtail and I could get to the bolts by loosening the headliner enough to get to it and removing the side pillar to connect the cable. Took about 30 mins on the truck.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp