• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Vent Filter

Started by SHO9987, November 18, 2017, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyATL

Yea so the PTU vent is now on the maintenance routine. Vent was clogged cut it open and remove the cotton like material that was in side of it. I used a plastic vacuum connector the same inside diameter as the hoses. Installed the new vent tube in the vent tube that is in the car and ran it up higher to be able to monitor it and service it. I like the idea of a breather filter ( which to me is just a small air filter being used in reverse) I might go and look for a smaller filter kinda like the ones they use on gas powered R/C cars.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

SHO9987

Quote from: TimmyATL on January 25, 2018, 12:38:48 PM
Yea so the PTU vent is now on the maintenance routine. Vent was clogged cut it open and remove the cotton like material that was in side of it. I used a plastic vacuum connector the same inside diameter as the hoses. Installed the new vent tube in the vent tube that is in the car and ran it up higher to be able to monitor it and service it. I like the idea of a breather filter ( which to me is just a small air filter being used in reverse) I might go and look for a smaller filter kinda like the ones they use on gas powered R/C cars.

Yeah, so far that mini breather filter I put on has been working great.  With the longer tubing and more frequent changes you shouldn't need to worry about vent/filter maintenance. I no longer get that heaving gear oil smell after hard runs. 
2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

jbrown9999

Quote from: SHO9987 on November 22, 2017, 03:20:39 PM
Quick update:
I went to ford to see how much a new vent/filter would cost (approx 21 bucks).  One of the service guys there told me the sole purpose of the vent is to obviously release the excess heat and gasses that are created in the PTU to prevent it from over heating and over pressurizing and damaging the seals (hence why ford had to previously replace my PTU seals under warranty, unfortunately they didn't replace the clogged vent while they were at it). 

I decided to give a mini breather filter a chance.  Like I said, I had my transmission shop replace the short tubing with longer 5/16" tubing so I could access the vent easier in the engine bay.  From there I trimmed down a universal connector and used a couple of clamps to secure the mini breather filter in place.  I kept it tucked in the back of the engine to protect it from any splashing water, the engine cover protects it nicely. 

I wish I had some hard data to compare before and after temps of the PTU.  But I can say for sure the burning smell is gone now which I think is the biggest indicator.

Search as I might I can't find the part number for that filter.  You said you got a price, what part number did you use?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

Bronco2fan

So this is all very interesting to me and as a new SHO owner, I haven't any idea where this filter is. If it's not to much of a pain can someone snap a pic or tell me where it's located? Thanks in advance.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

jbrown9999

Look higher up in the thread.  There is a picture showing where he has the extended tube coming out.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jbrown9999

Thanks.  Didn't know how to do that.

Bronco2fan

I saw that part. I guess the question should be where does it come from? It's not a stock item? The filter is added to the PTU vent? So it's not something that's normally serviced? I know, lots of questions. But you never know unless you ask lol.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

SHO9987

Quote from: jbrown9999 on February 02, 2018, 11:24:15 AM
Quote from: SHO9987 on November 22, 2017, 03:20:39 PM
Quick update:
I went to ford to see how much a new vent/filter would cost (approx 21 bucks).  One of the service guys there told me the sole purpose of the vent is to obviously release the excess heat and gasses that are created in the PTU to prevent it from over heating and over pressurizing and damaging the seals (hence why ford had to previously replace my PTU seals under warranty, unfortunately they didn't replace the clogged vent while they were at it). 

I decided to give a mini breather filter a chance.  Like I said, I had my transmission shop replace the short tubing with longer 5/16" tubing so I could access the vent easier in the engine bay.  From there I trimmed down a universal connector and used a couple of clamps to secure the mini breather filter in place.  I kept it tucked in the back of the engine to protect it from any splashing water, the engine cover protects it nicely. 

I wish I had some hard data to compare before and after temps of the PTU.  But I can say for sure the burning smell is gone now which I think is the biggest indicator.

Search as I might I can't find the part number for that filter.  You said you got a price, what part number did you use?

Honestly I didn't have a part number, I just popped the whole vent off and took it in to ford.  They priced me for the tubing AND the vent.  Since I already had new and extended tubing on the car, I decided to go try the mini breather filter instead. 
2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

SHO9987

Quote from: Bronco2fan on February 03, 2018, 10:50:52 AM
I saw that part. I guess the question should be where does it come from? It's not a stock item? The filter is added to the PTU vent? So it's not something that's normally serviced? I know, lots of questions. But you never know unless you ask lol.

Here is a picture of the PTU with the tubing and OEM vent coming off of it.  When looking for this on your own car, it is going to be tucked down almost behind the engine.  It's to the left of the battery and underneath all the intake piping.  A strong work light will help you locate it.  I do believe this can be removed from under the car.  I attempted this, but it was too much of a PITA so I took the car to a transmission shop where they put it up on a lift and the task of removing the tubing became much easier. 

Bronco2fan

Quote from: SHO9987 on February 03, 2018, 07:13:42 PM

Here is a picture of the PTU with the tubing and OEM vent coming off of it.  When looking for this on your own car, it is going to be tucked down almost behind the engine.  It's to the left of the battery and underneath all the intake piping.  A strong work light will help you locate it.  I do believe this can be removed from under the car.  I attempted this, but it was too much of a PITA so I took the car to a transmission shop where they put it up on a lift and the task of removing the tubing became much easier.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was needing. Now I have something else to look for and modify lol.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Macgyver

Quote from: SHO9987 on February 03, 2018, 07:13:42 PM

Great Pic and thanks !!!

jbrown9999

Got one sent from Ford.  Now, I'll need to install it when I change my oil next time.  I'll just add it to my "severe maintenance" program.

Bronco2fan

Quote from: jbrown9999 on February 06, 2018, 08:26:09 PM
Got one sent from Ford.  Now, I'll need to install it when I change my oil next time.  I'll just add it to my "severe maintenance" program.
Great. Can you post a pic and part number? Save me from searching endlessly.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

jbrown9999

Part number they sent (remember I haven't installed it yet)

DG1Z-7034-F

It was just over $22 shipped to my house.

I put the bill next to it to show its actual size.  Pretty small.