• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Question about Fuel (Winter Gas)

Started by ClearwaterSHO, November 20, 2017, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClearwaterSHO

Hi, All,

I live in FL, and I am not sure if we get winter blended fuels here in Tampa/Clearwater area. Anyone know? If we don't. I am driving up to Memphis, TN this week and I want to run at Memphis International Raceway, because Saturday the DA is going to be crazy negative.

My question. Here I've found that 4.4 Gallons of E85 mixed with 12.2 gallons of VShell 93, puts me at a nice spot for my E30 tune. With winter gas, should I add more E85 or less? Should I just do what I normally do and log? (thinking I'm going to have to log anyways to make sure everything is good to go.) I'm just curious to those that run E30 tunes and have winter gas, how do you compensate for the crappy Winter gas?
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

GIGANTORE

You dont need to change the fuel you run for Florida winters.

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: GIGANTORE on November 20, 2017, 12:51:47 PM

Yea, I'm asking because I am going to TN and I'm pretty sure they get Winter Fuel there. That's why I am curious if I am going to have to add more E85 or less.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

GIGANTORE

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 20, 2017, 02:00:09 PM

Yea, I'm asking because I am going to TN and I'm pretty sure they get Winter Fuel there. That's why I am curious if I am going to have to add more E85 or less.

Sorry. At work trying to multitask. I dont think youll have to worry about it. Your ECU should compensate for the difference in blend.

SHOdded

There will be a bit less e85 needed if winter blend aka e10 is in use.  Plus e85 is not necessarily e85 across the country.  So there is that consideration  also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

derfdog15

The shell 93 you use is an E10 blend already. As long as the 93 you get is also E10 or so (shell 93 is actually higher sometimes) you should be o.k with the same amount of E85 added in to your mix. I ran the same blend year round in Indiana with my E20 tune, 93 E10 from shell + ~3 gallons E85. I didn't change a thing when I drove down to Florida last year and back (at Christmas).

Make sure you can source E85 on your trip, based on your average MPG, as not everywhere has E85. This (https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html) is a helpful site to use.

TLDR: you should be fine with the same ratio, just make sure to map out where you can source E85 on your trip. If worst comes to worst, get yourself a few 5 gallon gas cans (E85 cans) and take some E85 with you just in case.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Brucelinc

I don't know about other areas but here in the Minneapolis area, fuel labeled E85 is around E50 in the winter.  The reason is that in cold temps, even flex fuel capable vehicles start better with a higher concentration of gasoline.  If I wanted to run an E tune in the winter, I would need a much different mixture than in the summer when E85 is much closer to actually being 85% ethanol.

sholxgt

Can probably buy the E85 at the track to eliminate most variables.  Many tracks now have race E85 also.  That mixed with some Shell 93 should do very well.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

I have always added a bottle of Heat(Yellow Bottle)which contains Methanol to combat the winter-blend gasoline.
I found Chevron with Techron or Shell gasoline to be far superior preferably @ a busy High Turnover Station.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 20, 2017, 02:00:09 PM

If you are unsure, don't beat on it after the initial fueling and watch your fuel trims. It takes about 7 miles after a fillup before the ECM locks in LTFT so you will see STFT swing wildly until then. If it starts adding more LTFT then you know it has more corn. Moving backwards would mean there is less corn. Worst case scenario should be about 70%.

Somewhere in the fuels section is an E85 map by region and season.