• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2011 F150 EB Turbo surging

Started by Throttlemonkey, November 16, 2017, 10:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throttlemonkey

Just found this site, apologize if I am posting in the wrong section, admin feel free to move it as necessary.

Truck has 155K, only issues so far was a leaky warped exhaust manifold on the PS.  Running 5* 87 perf/tow tune but tuned or stock I have the same issue.

I am hearing a surging 'whoosh whoosh' sound from what seems like the DS turbo with light throttle application and it is more pronounced going up a slight hill or towing. It cycles about 2 times/second.

I have checked all BOV controls for leaks with a vacuum pump, replaced the BOV and wastegate solenoids, checked the wastegate operation from 3-15 psi per the TSB  and checked all hoses/clamps for signs of a pressure leak.

I just set up my X4 tuner for datalogging on my laptop but have no clue what to log, I just did a test run with every variable in the turbo section logged but to be honest i am not sure what I am looking for.

Is the sound a mechanical issue with the Turbo?
Is there a vacuum or pressure leak I missed?
Is there a sensor somewhere giving the PCM bad info?

If anyone can advise on what to log and what to look for i would appreciate it

Thanks

Throttlemonkey

I may have found the issue, hopefully someone can chime in.

I took a pair of pliers and tried moving the actual wastegate arm on both turbos. On the PS I can feel the spring resistance of the actuator plus the movement of the valve itself, when you let go you can hear the wastegate closing inside the turbo.

On the DS all I feel is the spring in the actuator, I don't hear or feel anything moving inside the turbo, when I let go you hear the actuator topping out on the spring but no noise inside the turbo. Plus the position of the arms is substantially different on the two turbos.

It seems like the shaft broke or somehow the wastegate valve disconnected inside.

Has anyone seen this with a failed turbo?

SHOdded

Not sure on the F150s, but on the transverse engines, it is mostly housing seal leaks or oil feed line leaks that kill the turbos.  No issues with the actuators themselves.  But a few issues with the BOVs, IIRC?

Time to check out the F150 TSBs, as 2011 was the first year for the EB there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!