• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

First Turbo Car.

Started by 5ohSHO, November 13, 2017, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5ohSHO

Figured I'd post some pics of the car that made me realize how much fun forced induction cars could be, that and you don't see many of them around. My 1984 Regal T-Type WH1 package. The body was in good shape, but the power train had been neglected for a while. I got a good deal on it so I thought "how hard can it be to fix up?". Well lets just say I had a lot to learn and it still never ran right most of the time. Long story short I think the ultimate issue was that the previous owner hooked the vacuum lines to the waste gate actuator backwards so it would never open and get crazy knock at less than half throttle. I fixed that, but the damage had already been done to the head gaskets I think and the motor gave up shortly after that. Either way the car was a ton of fun when it was running good and sparked a lot of story telling from strangers every time I drove it, even though everyone called it a Grand National and one person called it a Monte Carlo haha! FYI, if anyone is looking at buying one to build make sure you get an intercooled car to start with. Way cheaper to make fast and more aftermarket support.

SHOdded

Monte Carlos of that era were/are on my WANT list, LOL.  the Caprice Classic however was the real sleeper.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

5ohSHO

I would absolutely buy another one if the price was right. As long as it was in better mechanical shape to start with and not a hot air car. The Monte Calros are nice as well, but I kinda like having something a little different. The best thing about the G bodies is at most parts are cheap and easy to find, excluding turbo Regal engine parts. I probably should've kept mine and rebuilt it, but then I probably wouldn't have my Taurus so it's whatever I guess.

PDSHO

I remember drag racing against those cars back when they were newer. First time I ever saw a laptop was when a guy was studying his GN performance after a run.
They were in the 12s with not too much work, you are right the 86 and 87s were the fast ones.
Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

5ohSHO

There is/was a Monte for sale around here with the Aero Package. Looks... interesting haha.

FearlessAZ

Looks good, man. I have been looking a lot at those this year. Hoping to find a decent one next year for a good price. I would rather find something I have to work on a bit to keep me busy in my free time. It is just so hard to find one that isn't beat to death or been used with hydraulics.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

CaptainInsane-O

I know I'm late to the party, but gotta give some props to the Buford. Have always loved the WH1 package, sharp looking car for sure.

I've had two '87 Turbo-T's over the years & still miss both of them.  This internets stuff confuses me so I don't have many photos up there in the cloud, but here is one of me abusing the tires on my Limited T...