• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Meth Setup Question.

Started by 5ohSHO, November 13, 2017, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5ohSHO

I recently installed an Alky Control meth kit in my car. On the initial drive to get it dialed in I got it set to turn on at 6 pounds. I noticed that it only seems to actually turn on at this setting when I give it moderate to full throttle. When I'm lightly accelerating, but at or over 6 pounds it doesn't turn on unless I put my foot down a little more. I'm just wondering if this is normal? This is my first experience with meth injection since I never got that far on my T-Type before I sold it. I just want to make sure that I'm not slowly , or quickly, killing my engine with my inexperience on the subject. Thanks.

ZSHO

The presume the gain knob is set to 6 correct ?  Does the led flash from red to green ? It sounds normal IMO.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

5ohSHO

Mine is at 7. The car started to buck/cutout at around 5500 rpm with it at 6.

ZSHO

Quote from: 5ohSHO on November 13, 2017, 09:29:17 AM
I would try contacting Julio over @ www.alkycontrol.com and his customer service and support is by far second to none IMHO to make sure everything is up to Spec!
The system activates @-roughly 8 pounds of boost IIRC which then activates the led light from red to green upon spraying!!
I'm hoping there is no air in the system which will require you to purge the air out of the system.  Z
https://www.alkycontrol.com/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

5ohSHO

The car pulls good at its current setting, but I will definitely talk with him about it to make sure it is g2g. Thanks!

It does turn from red to green. Under a boosted launch it goes from red to green as soon as it hits 6 pounds and pulls hard without issue through every gear until I let off.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on November 13, 2017, 09:35:37 AM
Quote from: 5ohSHO on November 13, 2017, 09:29:17 AM
I would try contacting Julio over @ www.alkycontrol.com and his customer service and support is by far second to none IMHO to make sure everything is up to Spec!
The system activates @-roughly 8 pounds of boost IIRC which then activates the led light from red to green upon spraying!!
I'm hoping there is no air in the system which will require you to purge the air out of the system.  Z
https://www.alkycontrol.com/

There are two rheostats in the PAC. One is initial and one is turn on. The turn on rheostat controls when the pump is turned on based on the boost reference (whether that is the supplied 3Bar map which you connect to a vacuum hose or by directly tying into the 3BAR map on the intake manifold) which can be adjusted to turn on whenever you want.

You can dial this in by using a volt meter..

Typically most 3 bar map sensors will move from 1.6 volts at zero psi to 4.8 volts at 30 psi
That's about .1 volt per psi boost. So 4 psi is 2.0 volts or close enough
The Turnon knob has a solder spot on its 12 o'clock position. Put a D.C. Voltmeter red lead at 12 o'clock and black lead ground, adjust for 2.0 and it's set to 4 psi
Initial and Gain play with each other and have a direct correlation to battery voltage on vehicle. Simply said adjust for no knock activity

This is what I received from Julio which worked well when dialing it in. As far as when the best PSI to set it to really depends on the tune.. I have requested this information from Livernois and their response was every car is different. Test and Tune is pretty much what is needed to find the optimal spot along with good datalogging.

I am curious if perhaps the OP is injecting too much meth when dialed in at 7...

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 5ohSHO on November 13, 2017, 09:15:05 AM
I recently installed an Alky Control meth kit in my car. On the initial drive to get it dialed in I got it set to turn on at 6 pounds. I noticed that it only seems to actually turn on at this setting when I give it moderate to full throttle. When I'm lightly accelerating, but at or over 6 pounds it doesn't turn on unless I put my foot down a little more. I'm just wondering if this is normal? This is my first experience with meth injection since I never got that far on my T-Type before I sold it. I just want to make sure that I'm not slowly , or quickly, killing my engine with my inexperience on the subject. Thanks.

This is normal. When the PAC is setup to turn on at 6psi and you are lightly accelerating and bouncing around that 6psi marker it will go on and off. The entire system is voltage driven since it is a progressive system. So at 6psi your pump has just enough voltage to start building pressure and the more boost your car develops the more voltage the pump gets to send more meth...

5ohSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on November 13, 2017, 03:55:29 PM
Quote from: 5ohSHO on November 13, 2017, 09:15:05 AM

This is normal. When the PAC is setup to turn on at 6psi and you are lightly accelerating and bouncing around that 6psi marker it will go on and off. The entire system is voltage driven since it is a progressive system. So at 6psi your pump has just enough voltage to start building pressure and the more boost your car develops the more voltage the pump gets to send more meth...

Good to know that is normal ops. That's what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. I'll have to mess around with it a little more and check the voltage set point at the rheostat. It might be a bit since the track is closed for the year and I'm not a huge fan of doing that kind of thing on the street, even with the desolate roads around here. Thanks for the help!

5ohSHO

This is a little late, but when loading my non-meth tune a trouble code popped up for one of the O2 sensors with no CEL. Prior to loading the different tune the car actually did start to cut out above 5500 rpm with the gain knob set to 7, just like it did at 6, this had never happened before. Could a bad O2 sensor be the cause of the issue I'm having? The car used to throw a code for the O2 sensors with a CEL after a few passes at the track with the stock down pipes and it would clear on its own after a day. Since going to catless down pipes the car hasn't given me any CEL's or codes with multiple passes at the track. I'm wondering now if I should change the O2 sensors and readjust my meth system settings?

bamsho

Are you able to see your AFRs?  That would tell you if you have a bad O2 real quick.  When I'm at the track, I've had mine all the way at 9, so full spray.  No bucking or anything like that.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

ZSHO

I had both front Primary 02 sensors changed @-50K!
THey weren't responding well while on the Dyno Tune . Z
I would adjust your gain settings IMO after install of new primary 02 sensors.
Here's my very own Build thread below. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7881.45.html

5ohSHO

I'm not able to see AFR's. I'm not sure if these have ever been changed since I'm pretty sure the service life is around 100k and I'm sure the Sheriffs Department wouldn't have changed them before getting rid of it. The car also has a ton of idle hours on it as well. I'll probably change them and readjust my meth settings. Thanks for the input!

AJP turbo

Honestly for a tuned 3.5 I would probably change the primary 02 sensors at 50k. They are a critical sensor for keeping the fuel tuning tip top and precise....Be sure to buy OEM Motorcraft sensors NOT OEM equivalent...
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress