• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Taurus - adding 2nd trunk light?

Started by metroplex, November 29, 2017, 04:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Has anyone added a 2nd trunk light to their 2013-up SHO (or maybe 2010-2012 as well)?

On my 14, there's a single trunk light on the driver side. I opened up the passenger side pad/insulation and saw that they had the same indentation/markings to have a 2nd trunk light at the factory... but obviously left it out due to cost cutting. I looked at the wiring harness behind it and didn't see anything that I could splice into. I'm 100% positive the car was designed with a pair of trunk lights in mind.

I was going to posi-tap the existing trunk light and run wiring to a second trunk light installed in the mirrored opposite location. I was wondering if anyone else did this and could share some notes. I already use white LEDs for the trunk light, but it is uneven.

BTW, the 2017 Fusion Sport still uses incandescents for the license plate and trunk light. I'm sure they use incandescent for the interior lights because they are that dingy yellow color but can't be sure as the lenses are frosted. So disappointed!
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

Macgyver

I used this setup on my Nissan Juke. Just solder onto the hard points of the existing light. Run a protected wire to the middle of your underside rear deck. Mount this light. It pivots and has an on off switch. Shouldnt take too long.

dlepak

I use the flexlight from diode dynamics. It plugs into the socket for factory trunk light. I ran the wire behind the headliner and attached it using velcro to the top of the trunk. The 3M tape on the back of the flexlight does not hold very well. It lights up the entire trunk area.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/flexlight-led-strip.html

metroplex

I cut the hole on the opposite side and routed the wiring through the top (the part that is velcroed from the factory). It's much brighter now. I used the same OEM lamp assembly as stock, but used a LED light.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vortech347

I added a full strip of LED along the upper lip.  $10.

Trunk lights up awesome. I'll shoot a picture tomorrow night and post it.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0