• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stock Turbo Upgrades

Started by SHO9987, November 10, 2017, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO9987

Hey all,

Ever since I installed the catless DPs I have noticed some white/blue smoke from the exhaust at times (no surprise).  It was never anything very severe, not to mention I expected it with the catless DPs. Usually it was someone in a Focus ST or WRX STI getting a good view of my exhaust after a spirited run that would tell me they noticed a bit of blue smoke coming from the exhaust during the run (I could never actually see it myself). 

Recently the smoke got a little worse so I decided to pull the trigger on the stock turbo upgrades.  Mike was able to get them out to me super quick, had them the following week after I placed the order.

Being pretty busy myself I had a local mechanic do the install for me.  The end cost including the turbos, the extra little pieces like the oil feed gaskets and turbo filters, as well as the install itself equated the cost of just the ATP turbo upgrades by themselves (not even including the core charge).  I am mentioning this as I thought the combined cost of the CHRA sections and install all together was very reasonable.  Especially for the performance I am already noticing from these. 

As for the old turbo sections, they were saturated in oil, I'm sorry I forgot to grab a picture of the old ones when I picked up the car.  Take my word, they were grungy and it was no surprise I was losing about a quart of oil per 5k oil change.  These new turbo sections have fixed the oil smell and smoke coming from the exhaust from what I can tell.

I am currently running a 93oct tune from AJP with the wastegate mod.  Just got some datalogs off to AJP to start dialing in the tune.  Once we get a good baseline tune going I'll plug the methanol system back in.  For now I can definitely say that these turbos want to make boost, and they seem to want to make it at much lower RPM (not surprised with the upgraded wastegate actuators in there as well).

I'll share updates as AJP starts dialing the tune in. 
2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

SHOdded

:popcorn:

Hope these work out for ya, looking forward to updates!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

In for the updates!  Looking forward to seeing what these are capable of.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHO9987

After a couple tune revisions, Brad has the turbos behaving much better.  He had quite a few adjustments to make.  These upgraded turbos move a lot more air so he's had to lower boost and adjust throttle control to keep fuel pressure from dropping. Contributing to that problem also is that they spool up so quick, it seems like they go from 0 - 15psi almost instantaneously at full throttle.  I guess it's not really a problem, I'm happy with how well the turbos are working now.  Brad said we should be good once it's time to start tuning for the meth system. 

2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO9987

Got carried away with driving the car so much that I forgot to give you guys an update.  Had a little problem with my meth pump, got it all sorted out.  Car is running fantastic now.  Brad is recommending a dyno session to see where I'm at for power before we press on with anymore tuning.  For those that are interested, attached is a datalog. 

SHOdded

Awesome (even though you are tardy tsk tsk :P ).  What was the issue with the pump?  Kinked line, seal leak, ...?

StealBlueSho

I am considering picking these up myself... I was waiting on a review before I pulled the trigger, thank you!

SHO9987

Quote from: SHOdded on January 29, 2018, 07:30:48 PM
Awesome (even though you are tardy tsk tsk :P ).  What was the issue with the pump?  Kinked line, seal leak, ...?

It was unfortunately the AEM pump that I had bought less then a couple months ago... it must of had a bad seal or something. It was all rusted out on the inside.  Before the AEM was a snow pump which lasted me through about 4 years and was on two different SHOs.  So I decided to pick up one of the extreme environment snow pumps.  I know people have had issues with snow pumps failing after shot use, but I certainly have not experienced that.

SHO9987

Quote from: stealbluesho on January 29, 2018, 07:53:00 PM
I am considering picking these up myself... I was waiting on a review before I pulled the trigger, thank you!

You certainly won't be upset if you do.  They give a nice turbo spool/wine with medium throttle input.  I enjoy it so much that I actually had some quieter mufflers put on the car so I can listen to the engine and turbos more. 

I'm curious to see what numbers the car is putting down now.  I'll post dyno sheet once I find an all-wheel dyno near me.

griggs95

Thanks for the update, I'm interested in hearing more about this too and the smiles it puts on your face.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

68_GT

after my SHO threw a rod or 2 I got a new long block and these same CHRA's. I have about 6k miles on the new set up. Unleashed has a base tune in mine for now, still pulls strong. Torrie told me the boost is turned down to be sure it's not making too much boost. I need to datalog then refine it all, but I am sorting out oil consumption issues. I believe I just need to perfume the oil consumption TSB with new PCV and valve covers and I'll be good. You might want to check on that issue as well to be sure you're oil consumption woes are really fixed. May have cost me my stock engine IDK.......

Oh one last thing, I haven't and don't plan to bother with meth because I am under the impression with these billet wheels installed I should be able to max out the drivetrain strength on boost alone.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

StealBlueSho

Meth is to help reduce knock and stabilize the fuel pressure... I don't think you max out those new turbos on 93 octane... you will be knock and fuel pressure limited I suspect.. the stockers already max out the fuel system and 93 octane...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

To me, the main advantage of meth is keeping the engine clean, THEN power.  Power can be had with ethanol instead, but it won't keep the intake valves clean.  Need to inject something in the intake for that.

StealBlueSho

Don't forget stabilizing fuel pressure.... that was the main reason I am injecting meth... the rest of it is icing on the cake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk