• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SW Down Pipes. My Experience - Did I expect too much?

Started by ClearwaterSHO, November 10, 2017, 11:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClearwaterSHO

Hi, Everyone!

I would like to make a quick posts about my experience with the  Stainless Works DP's. (Cattless)   

I got to my friend's shop, I planned on using his lift, only to find that there was a car that was missing most of its suspension on the lift. Life has kicked me a bit lately, and every time I had the extra $$ to throw at DP's, life would come in and say, "NOT YET!". There was no way I was going to let the lack of lift access stop me from putting in my down pipes. I can tell you all that it isn't that bad of a job, if you have the tools. I started with jacking the car up and making sure it was stable. I then sprayed all the bolts that were to be taken out with PB Blaster. I suggest if you are going to do this yourself and the car has a good number of miles on it, has gone through Northern Winters (read rusty bolts here) that you will want an electric impact gun. I was very careful using the impact, but it made getting some of those rusted bolts off a lot easier. It took me about three hours from start to finish. The SW pipes went right in. I didn't have much issue at all with fitment and they slid right in. I did pre-install the O2's as well (except the top one, that one is easy to do from the top.) The one tool that was an absolute SAVIOR was a Crow's Foot O2 Sensor wrench. It made getting the O2's a breeze.   Over all, I would say it is a 2/5 difficulty rating for a Weekend Warrior.

Now, I have some questions. I read that people put Downpipes on and they decent improvements. Maybe I was expecting too much, or it could be that I haven't had my tune revised yet, but I am not that impressed with the increase of power. I guess the ET's will be the ultimate decider. I'm going to the track probably next Wednesday for some runs and then again on Saturday for Street Heat. Now, I will say the car seems to pull harder on the top end and it definitely has less lag time if you aren't brake boosting. 

My question to those that were running 93 OCT tune and installed DP's, how much did your ET's drop? I've read the estimated HP gains at the wheels in other threads, but those were mostly done with stock tunes. I understand there are other factors at play when it comes to ET's such as DA, Fuel, Tune, etc. I am just curious to other people's results.

Wrapping things up, to anyone that is interested in Downpipes, I say go for it. I can definitely hear my turbo's spool faster! I'm just not sure that they were worth the money at this time. Figured I could feel that 12-18 hp difference, but I can't.  Maybe my butt-dyno isn't sensitive enough, LOL! Also, the CEL from not having catts is annoying. I went with Cattless because there aren't emissions in FL and I wanted the extra power.

Finally, anyone that is installing OBX pipes or any pipes that need the O2 sensor extension, I have an extra for a 10-12 SHO. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Edit: Never mind. I understand now what the pipes do for you. I hadn't run the car in the upper gears much. They really give the car more top end. DEFINITELY worth the $$.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

AJP turbo

I would say another benefit of catless pipes besides the slight performance increase is the decrease in thermal load on the turbos and that should help with longevity when running higher than stock boost levels and lower egt's should be recognized as well
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 10, 2017, 12:28:06 PM
I would say another benefit of catless pipes besides the slight performance increase is the decrease in thermal load on the turbos and that should help with longevity when running higher than stock boost levels and lower egt's should be recognized as well

Is there a way to monitor EGT's on the SHO? I haven't seen it in the logs that I know of.

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

AJP turbo

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 10, 2017, 12:30:07 PM

Is there a way to monitor EGT's on the SHO? I haven't seen it in the logs that I know of.

You would have to look at livelink under DMR items and find exhaust flange temp or cat temp would probably be the best way

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 10, 2017, 12:40:09 PM
Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 10, 2017, 12:30:07 PM

You would have to look at livelink under DMR items and find exhaust flange temp or cat temp would probably be the best way

Thanks AJP! I'll take a look. You sir, are amazing.

sholxgt

I can't speak for catless, but with my catted pipes I did not notice any increase in total power output.  Maybe there was an increase, but it would be pretty minor.  Hypothetically, if it was 7, 8, or 9 whp, I don't think that would be felt in a 4,xxx pound car with 4xx hp.

What I did notice was that it comes into boost sooner.  It seems that I can now power brake it to a lower rpm and still launch in boost.  It also seems to come in sooner with a roll on.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

bpd1151

Can always go 'old school' and pick up your own EGT gauges, plumb in your own sensors.... and WALLAH!

I've found it useful myself. Who needs to search through endless file folders, and PID's, etc.

Although I'm sure that's fun in some ways too.

Cheers to Bradley. Although I miss his poking, prodding, and all around jestering. Don't get soft on us now Brad. LOL.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: bpd1151 on November 10, 2017, 01:01:34 PM

Cheers to Bradley. Although I miss his poking, prodding, and all around jestering. Don't get soft on us now Brad. LOL.

Hhmm perhaps I will summon the smart ass here and there as long as you lobby to allow me back if I get banned lol!...ill admit I miss the good fun before ...I can be a bit too crude and vulger fir this fine forum when I get carried away

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

bpd1151

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 10, 2017, 01:25:35 PM
Quote from: bpd1151 on November 10, 2017, 01:01:34 PM

Hhmm perhaps I will summon the smart ass here and there as long as you lobby to allow me back if I get banned lol!...ill admit I miss the good fun before ...I can be a bit too crude and vulger fir this fine forum when I get carried away
We all have our moments my friend. Myself included.

Let the lobbying commence!

gtmorgan23

Did you wrap your downpipes prior to installing them?
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on November 10, 2017, 02:18:30 PM

Yes, I wrapped them. Should I not have? It said to in the instructions to wrap anything that wouldn't have a 1/2 inch of clearance because it would melt.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

gtmorgan23

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 10, 2017, 02:54:32 PM

Yes, I wrapped them. Should I not have? It said to in the instructions to wrap anything that wouldn't have a 1/2 inch of clearance because it would melt.

I was just curious what wrap you may have used. I plan to wrap mine as much as possible when i do DPs.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on November 13, 2017, 09:46:27 AM
Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 10, 2017, 02:54:32 PM

I was just curious what wrap you may have used. I plan to wrap mine as much as possible when i do DPs.

I don't know what the wrap was. My friend owns a shop that builds race cars and that's where I work on my car. He had some in the shop and did wrapped it before I installed them. Looks like just standard exhaust wrapping material. (don't know what it is called)