• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water pump FAILURE

Started by WaelSHO, November 07, 2017, 06:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaelSHO

Hey guys,

I'm somewhat devastated with what happened, I mean I was driving normally, no WOT no reckless driving, just my everyday driving back from work when I noticed some strange knocking sounds, I thought it would be from the car next to me as it was an old crappy one, but the old crappy car had left and I still hear the sounds. I though maybe something might have come off, licence plate or something!, looked at my SCT device and noticed the Knock Sensor is high, took an exit, did not stop the car yet, it literally switched off.

I tried multiple times to start it with absolutely no luck, when opened the hood, I opened the engine oil cover, to find out that the oil was WHITE !!!!!

I checked the coolant water, it was empty, so I was sure it was the water pump.

NO WARNING, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, NO HIGH TEMP.. NOTHING !!

I really don't know what to do now, how would it be fixed.. what would I need to replace. I honestly started hating the car and I'm devastated.

any advice?

thanks
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune
https://www.instagram.com/evil_sho/

ZSHO

I hope you have warranty ? How many miles?  Best of luck and surely feel for you man .Z
Ford Quick Tips: #1 Engine Oil Cap Puddding.

! No longer available   

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Sorry to see this happen, Wael.  Since the event just occurred, I would say the chances are high that no internal damage (significant) to the engine has occurred.  But it will take a few oil and coolant changes in rapid succession to clear things out.  Would also replace the turbo feed lines, while the timing chain/tensioner/VCT solenoids/water pump are being replaced.  Clean out the intercooler as best you can.

Option is to install a remanufactured/used 2013+ engine, not sure about availability/pricing in the middle east.

! No longer available
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

WaelSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on November 07, 2017, 06:38:15 AM
I hope you have warranty ? How many miles?  Best of luck and surely feel for you .Z

http:://youtu.be/71itwBP7akA

No warranty man.. 135k miles on it.. man it feels bad I've honestly tried to look after the car as much as I could.. but yeah... life gives slaps sometimes.. and so does Ford
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

WaelSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on November 07, 2017, 06:50:06 AM
Sorry to see this happen, Wael.  Since the event just occurred, I would say the chances are high that no internal damage (significant) to the engine has occurred.  But it will take a few oil and coolant changes in rapid succession to clear things out.  Would also replace the turbo feed lines, while the timing chain/tensioner/VCT solenoids/water pump are being replaced.  Clean out the intercooler as best you can.

Option is to install a remanufactured/used 2013+ engine, not sure about availability/pricing in the middle east.

! No longer available

Oh man.. It will cost a lot x(
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

ZSHO

What type of oil?  How many miles on the oil?  Sorry man best of luck.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

WaelSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on November 07, 2017, 07:14:45 AM
What type of oil?  How many miles on the oil?  Sorry man best of luck.  Z

I always use Motorcraft 5W-30 Fully Synthetic, I barely put 2800 Miles on it
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

ClearwaterSHO

Hate to see this happen. =( Also makes me nervous about mine. She's got almost 100k miles on her.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

SHOdded

Was coolant changed?  I think 105K interval for first change as recommended by Ford, succeeding changes every 60k.  I am encouraging people to stick to the old 5/60k right from the start, seeing as how these pumps are timing chain driven.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on November 07, 2017, 08:25:13 AM
Was coolant changed?  I think 105K interval for first change as recommended by Ford, succeeding changes every 60k.  I am encouraging people to stick to the old 5/60k right from the start, seeing as how these pumps are timing chain driven.
Oh so True!!! I would also categorize a Tuned vehicle under "severe duty" maintenance applications . Z

WaelSHO

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 07, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
Hate to see this happen. =( Also makes me nervous about mine. She's got almost 100k miles on her.

I believe replacing it for precautions would be better, its really really really not worth taking a risk..
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

WaelSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on November 07, 2017, 08:25:13 AM

I changed water coolant about 6 months ago, I used water coolant from motorcraft its been fine since, however I think that the water pump failure was due to not replacing it because I never even thought about it, its a consumable part and has time to stop working just as any other consumable part.

well.. the car is still off and I haven't started it since it died by itself, I'm not ready to take any risk.. I will take it to my local mechanic hopefully Saturday and get it fixed.. hopefully it won't need anything else.. its really frustrating
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune

Quinid

Unfortunately with the way Ford designed the ecoboost, the water pump is halfway into the engine. So when they go out, they tend to dump coolant right into the crankcase. I've also read that the ecoboost water pumps are designed to last 150k miles. Unfortunately yours was slightly premature.
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

SHOdded

Quote from: WaelSHO on November 09, 2017, 04:47:35 AM
well.. the car is still off and I haven't started it since it died by itself, I'm not ready to take any risk.. I will take it to my local mechanic hopefully Saturday and get it fixed.. hopefully it won't need anything else.. its really frustrating
doing the right thing not starting it up.  very high possibility minimal damage has occurred.

The water pump is designed this way on the 3.5 based engines (at least gen 1).  The 2.0 engines have an external water pump.

Removal and Installation

Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section
Loosen the 3 coolant pump pulley bolts.
To install, tighten to 20 Nm (177 lb-in).

Rotate the accessory drive belt tensioner and detach the accessory drive belt.
Make sure the accessory drive belt is positioned so coolant can not contaminate the belt.

Remove the 3 bolts and the coolant pump pulley.
To install, do not tighten the bolts at this time.

Remove the 3 bolts, the coolant pump and the O-ring seal.
Discard the O-ring seal.
To install, lubricate the O-ring seal with clean engine coolant.
To install, tighten to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Fill and bleed the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.

WaelSHO

Hey all,

I just want to thank everyone for the time you guys took to help and assist me as well as giving me pro tips on what I should do.

YES the post is super old, I just came back and noticed I never gave a reply nor an update and I kinda felt like a douche, I am so sorry!

well, the car died, after taking it to my mechanic and have given him the parts that I bought they worked on it for around 4 days, after receiving it from them it was super fine, well for about 5 minutes, then the car just lost power, boost was in the negatives.

So I took it back to them and made them re-do everything they did all over again, next time I picked it up I noticed some weird sounds, no surprise it was the from turbo broken, so I took it home and parked it till I got another turbo.

Once I got the new turbo I installed it and the car ran fine till about 15 minutes, the rear turbo broke this time, then after few days the new turbo broke again, and just to dodge any bullets from you all I was never pushing the car at all, RPM never went over 1.5K.

I bought a new set of turbos and installed them, car ran very well till about 45 minutes, I didnt drive it at all after the turbo change because I wanted all the white smoke to clear out from the engine, and when it did, I heard some alarms in the car indicating the the oil pressure was too low, so I replaced the oil pump pressure valve, and car worked for about 30 minutes and when I drove i kind of heard light knocking noises.

At that point I had already paid around 4 thousand dollars and I was having financial limitations due to my wedding being near.

SO I had to sell the car with a very broken heart.... BUT we did take the whole engine apart as the new owner wanted to know exactly what was going on.. so here it goes.

Oil pump wasnt working like it should and it went very weak not lubricating the whole engine correctly, so when we took the engine apart, we found the cams ruined and almost broken as well as the cylinder heads, I was shocked, and had to buy a whole new engine from the scrap yard, and sold it.

Fast forward to 6 months after selling it, the owner decided to list it for sale for 3x the price I sold him the car for, I really wanted to get it back, but I couldnt pay that amount at all.

I'm just stuck with a 2007 4.6L Mustang GT now, I love it, never like I loved the SHO, and soon hopefully I will buy another SHO, maybe mine if I ever find it again :D
*K&N Intake
*Muffler Delete
*170 Thermostat
*Unleashed Tune