• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PPE vs LMS vs SW catless DPs

Started by Agentlongwood, November 06, 2017, 02:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I'm heavily leaning toward catless downpipes, since I live in Florida and there is no emissions testing.  I'm going to leave the rest of the exhaust stock.  So between PPE, Livernoise, and Stainless works are there any that are noticeably better or worse in terms of fitment/quality/sound?  I imagine there would be no real difference in performance. 

From pictures on the vendors site, the PPE set looks fantastic.  The Stainless Works look good too, just slightly more "bendy".   Does that make either of them fit easier or have any clearance issue?  Any difference in how long they might last?  I can't tell for sure but from the pics it looks like the flexible section might be longer on the SW pipes.

The LMS ones are the cheapest, but it looks like the front pipe is 2 sections that fit together... not sure if I want to deal with another potential source of exhaust leak.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

PPE:  http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestore.com/Ford-Taurus-SHO-FLEX-Ecoboost-V6-25-testpipes-130002.htm

SW:  http://stainlessworks.net/2010-ford-taurus-sho-downpipe

LMS:  https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP101114
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

The only issue you might have is the Stainless works DP due to the improper location of the 02 sensor bung which can be remedied by purchasing an 02 extender.
Sometimes in rare ocassions you might need to double gasket due to fitment issues in order to prevent any leaks.
Side note- spray the bolts with a can of PB blaster liberally the night before prior to removing the bolts.
I would also put a tab of Rtv sealant for good measures.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

ZSHO

Quote from: Agentlongwood on November 06, 2017, 03:20:45 PM
Which one is the Stage 3 downpipe?
Stainless works/Stage 3 Motorsports.  Z
http://stainlessworks.net/2010-ford-taurus-sho-downpipe

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

Gotcha, thanks I appreciate it.  I'm leaning towards the PPE set.  They look damn good, and I've heard great things about the catted version.  I imagine the fitment/quality would be the same for the catless ones. 

Now my only 2 real worries are if it impacts the sound of the factory exhaust in a bad way, and if I can reasonably do this in my driveway. 

ZSHO

It can be done in your Driveway but from my own personal experience would highly recommend using a lift which would make it that much easier without having to break your back and then some. 
The front bolts that connect to your turbos can sometimes be a pita to remove along with the 02 sensors while taking extra necessary precautions removing the 02 sensors while avoiding any pinched,twisted wires from forming. Z

EcoPowerParts

You can get cheaper catless pipes than PPE, if you want their quality go catted. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Agentlongwood

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on November 06, 2017, 11:38:48 PM
You can get cheaper catless pipes than PPE, if you want their quality go catted. :)

Just because I don't want catalytic converters doesn't mean I want to settle for crappy hardware.  Yeah I could get OBX downpipes for dirt cheap, but I'm specifically looking for ones with quality fitment and reliability.  It's my daily driver so, I don't want them to rub, or the flex section to wear out, or have sensor bungs in the wrong place, or leak, or have crappy welds. There is more to quality hardware than just having cats or not... Or are you saying that PPE's builds catless pipes at a lower quality standard than they build their catted ones?

EcoPowerParts

PPE makes amazing pipes at amazing quality and they charge for it, the welds are a thing of beauty and if you're willing to pay for that (most aren't) then please utilize them, realize that there's an 8 week delay with them currently.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

10bird

Quote from: ZSHO on November 06, 2017, 03:03:48 PM
The only issue you might have is the Stainless works DP due to the improper location of the 02 sensor bung which can be remedied by purchasing an 02 extender.
Sometimes in rare ocassions you might need to double gasket due to fitment issues in order to prevent any leaks.
Side note- spray the bolts with a can of PB blaster liberally the night before prior to removing the bolts.

I thought this O2 sensor issue was corrected after the first batch.  Mine had no such issue.

ZSHO

Quote from: 10bird on November 07, 2017, 11:51:39 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on November 06, 2017, 03:03:48 PM

I thought this O2 sensor issue was corrected after the first batch.  Mine had no such issue.
I Cant see your signature!  Catted or non catted DP?
I had the same issue from almost four years ago!
Here is a most recent member that still has the same issue with the 02 sensor bung!! Dunno. Z
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6503.15.html

ZSHO

I can attest that Paul from PPE craftsmanship is by far second to none IMO.
I think BiGMaC was the first to have them on his SHO!.  Z

ClearwaterSHO

My SW Catt-less DP's will be here today. I will let you know my experience.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: ZSHO on November 07, 2017, 12:17:09 PM
I can attest that Paul from PPE craftsmanship is by far second to none IMO.
I think BiGMaC was the first to have them on his SHO!.  Z
I was the first :D
www.ecopowerparts.com -

sholxgt

I have the PPE catted and the quality is very good.

Installed them with the car on jack stands.  It can be done, just take your time and be patient.  Beer helps.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106