• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

This HORRIBLE groaning sound with H&R springs

Started by GIGANTORE, November 04, 2017, 06:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIGANTORE

It has actually gotten worse. Can't wait for my BC coilovers to get here. The sound ruins the quiet ride. In the other thread there didn't seem to be a solution to this. My only suggestion to someone would be to blast the textured coating they come with and use a regular coating. What a pain in the ass.

ZSHO

Since having mine intalled they haven't made a Peep !
Did you install new Strut mounts?   Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Listen to ZSHO, I just put oem struts on the Lincoln and its horrible.

Its all getting torn out and redone with new mounts.

GIGANTORE

Quote from: ZSHO on November 04, 2017, 06:22:00 PM
No I didn't. But I'm not sure how that would make a difference. The sound only happens when turning. What seems to be causing the issue is the rough texture H&R used on these springs.

CroR1

I don't understan what you imply by rough texture. I run them on my car, and no issues. I had a noise which was caused by a bellow/boot cover being to long and rubbing on the strut. Once I greased the strut/boot, no noise at all.

if the strut mounts are wrongly installed, over torqued or under, I can see the noise coming from that area

ZSHO

Quote from: GIGANTORE on November 05, 2017, 10:04:16 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on November 04, 2017, 06:22:00 PM
No I didn't. But I'm not sure how that would make a difference. The sound only happens when turning. What seems to be causing the issue is the rough texture H&R used on these springs.
If the sound is getting worse the weather could be a contributing factor IMO!  Best of luck with the Coil overs. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

GIGANTORE

Quote from: CroR1 on November 05, 2017, 10:11:46 AM
I don't understan what you imply by rough texture. I run them on my car, and no issues. I had a noise which was caused by a bellow/boot cover being to long and rubbing on the strut. Once I greased the strut/boot, no noise at all.

if the strut mounts are wrongly installed, over torqued or under, I can see the noise coming from that area

It's definitely not an issue of improper torque. We tried everything possible. Even with zero torque on the bolts. Gradually adding torque. I had my buddy help me with the install. He's built and installed more springs and suspension set ups than he can probably remember. We really tried everything to get rid of the noise. But haven't replaced the strut mounts. With a relatively low mileage car that shouldn't be needed.

ZSHO

The Strut mounts due play a significant role when turning and could have an impact on the noise your hearing!
It all depends on what type of low mileage your referencing too!!
Climate,road conditions could have an impact on wear and tear and lead to premature failure IMO.......just trying to help ya out that's all!!  Z

GIGANTORE

Quote from: ZSHO on November 05, 2017, 10:58:28 AM
The Strut mounts due play a significant role when turning!!
Climate,road conditions could have an impact on wear and tear and lead to premature failure IMO.......just trying to help ya out that's all!!  Z

Sorry if I came off wrong. I appreciate the advice. We greased up the boot and contact points on the mount as well. Did your H&Rs come with the weird textured coating?

ZSHO

Quote from: GIGANTORE on November 05, 2017, 11:07:29 AM

Sorry if I came off wrong. I appreciate the advice. We greased up the boot and contact points on the mount as well. Did your H&Rs come with the weird textured coating?
No worries Its all good! I purchased mine through www.tirerack.com and don't recall any such odd textured coating.  Z

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Taurus&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=SHO

GIGANTORE

Quote from: ZSHO on November 05, 2017, 11:21:57 AM
Quote from: GIGANTORE on November 05, 2017, 11:07:29 AM

No worries Its all good! I purchased mine through www.tirerack.com and don't recall any such odd textured coating.  Z

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Taurus&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=SHO

I got mine from there too. Maybe the texture is something new. How long ago did you buy yours?

ZSHO

CroR1

The texture should not make noise. When the car turns, the spring is locked on the bottom so to say, and on the top the strut mount turns. Therefore, the whole spring turns with the wheels when you steer. you can have a brand new strut mount, but if the bearing is bad in it, it will make noise. If the strut mount was damaged during install once(over torqued or other way), that's all it takes for it to go bad. I am not saying that you guys made a mistake with install, it just makes no sense that paint, or as you refer to it texture, makes noise when car is turning. The whole spring is turning. Grease the boot from inside, and grease the shocks and entire area under boot. also, make sure that boot is not too long and that is not catching on the spring when turning. I would cut the boot 2 inches, as that's how much the car is lowered. When my boot rubbed, the noise sounded like metal clicking-yes.

GIGANTORE

Quote from: CroR1 on November 05, 2017, 02:14:25 PM
The texture should not make noise. When the car turns, the spring is locked on the bottom so to say, and on the top the strut mount turns. Therefore, the whole spring turns with the wheels when you steer. you can have a brand new strut mount, but if the bearing is bad in it, it will make noise. If the strut mount was damaged during install once(over torqued or other way), that's all it takes for it to go bad. I am not saying that you guys made a mistake with install, it just makes no sense that paint, or as you refer to it texture, makes noise when car is turning. The whole spring is turning. Grease the boot from inside, and grease the shocks and entire area under boot. also, make sure that boot is not too long and that is not catching on the spring when turning. I would cut the boot 2 inches, as that's how much the car is lowered. When my boot rubbed, the noise sounded like metal clicking-yes.

We applied grease to more than one area. I'm not going to go too far into trouble shooting at this point since the coilovers are on their way. It's just annoying. And I haven't seen anyone that's reported this issue, solve it.

ZSHO

I'm hoping you have some better luck with the new coil-overs and looking forward to your initial results posted on your link below. Z
    https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5839.msg128552/topicseen.html#new