• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MKS Wheel Hop

Started by 396375, November 01, 2017, 10:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got my tune from Livernois.I tried the  Stage 4 Plus for 93 octane.Wow.What a difference.With the stock tune I couldn't even squeak the tires when I loaded up on the converter and let it go. Now I'm getting rubber from a roll in first and a squawk into second.The car is a 2010 Ecoboost MKS AWD with 60,000 miles.Without the tune it leaves clean with no problems.With the tune leaving about 2200 on the brake the car gets some serious wheel hop.Even going into second it makes a thud that doesn't feel right.Except for the tune the car is dead stock.Any ideas?
Thanks

Quinid

That is exactly how my 2010 SHO does it with the Unleased 93 tune. If you load it up at around 1300, it launches much better for me. As for the "thud" Torrie told me it's normal. My car was tuned at 60k miles through 125k.
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

SHOdded

You can always have the shift pressures dropped a bit to take care of the wheel hop etc.  Did you refresh the trans and ptu/rdu fluids before tuning?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

I NEVER experienced wheel hop with my tuned 2010 MKS and most certainly never a thud at the shift point.   I suppose the wheel hop could be due to your tires, tire pressure or the surface that you were launching on.  Otherwise, I wonder about worn suspension components.   

The thud at the shift would concern me.  Shodded makes a good point about fresh fluids.  You might want to have them back off the shift pressure a bit, if fresh fluids do not cure it.

ClearwaterSHO

I had some wheel hop when I first tuned with Torrie. It went away with the Trans flush and PTU/RDU fluid changes. AJP Tuned now and no issues at all. Ran 8.31 last night in 1500 DA. If you haven't changed those fluids, I would do that first and check the tire pressures to make sure they are all good.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

Agentlongwood

I've not had any wheel hop but I had that thud FOR SURE.  It only happened on the shift from first into second gear.  And it seems like it only appened for about a week after loading the tune.  I'm running Amsoil fluid in the trans/PTU/RDU and only have about 66K miles on the car.  Every time I load a tune the first time I do a wide-open-throttle pull from a stop, the shift into second gear feels awful.  After driving for a few days it gets better every time, until it no longer happens at all.  Takes like a week on my car.  Don't know if it's the same issue, but I thought I'd offer up some info.  My car is a 2014 MKS.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

glock-coma

The trans fluid shifts backward durning launch causing some of the hard shifting/wheel hop.
I remember livernois mentioning adding an extra quart of fluid fixes the issue.

Also tires could have something to do with it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Blackhawk

I get wheel hop trying to launch over 2100 RPM with the tune in, might just be too much power for your suspension/tires to handle.  I never cared because I figured even if it wasnt wheel hopping it would probably be spinning which would hurt my times anyways.

Great info guys!I've been drag racing for 50 years and this stuff is all new.Thanks to all.

Quote from: SHOdded on November 02, 2017, 01:06:01 AM
You can always have the shift pressures dropped a bit to take care of the wheel hop etc.  Did you refresh the trans and ptu/rdu fluids before tuning?

The trans was done a year ago by the previous owner.PTU/RDU fluids were not.I will change them all to be sure.

ZSHO

Check your front/rear suspension to make sure your Struts/shocks are not shot which are prone to leaking especially @ 60K! .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Quote from: Brucelinc on November 02, 2017, 09:51:52 AM
I NEVER experienced wheel hop with my tuned 2010 MKS and most certainly never a thud at the shift point.   I suppose the wheel hop could be due to your tires, tire pressure or the surface that you were launching on.  Otherwise, I wonder about worn suspension components.   

The thud at the shift would concern me.  Shodded makes a good point about fresh fluids.  You might want to have them back off the shift pressure a bit, if fresh fluids do not cure it.

The wheel hop was on the street on asphalt.I imagine it will be worse on a well prepped track.I will check for worn bushings/parts when it is on the hoist for fluids.Thanks.

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on November 02, 2017, 09:59:39 AM
I had some wheel hop when I first tuned with Torrie. It went away with the Trans flush and PTU/RDU fluid changes. AJP Tuned now and no issues at all. Ran 8.31 last night in 1500 DA. If you haven't changed those fluids, I would do that first and check the tire pressures to make sure they are all good.

Reassuring.Thanks.

Quote from: Agentlongwood on November 02, 2017, 03:26:57 PM
I've not had any wheel hop but I had that thud FOR SURE.  It only happened on the shift from first into second gear.  And it seems like it only appened for about a week after loading the tune.  I'm running Amsoil fluid in the trans/PTU/RDU and only have about 66K miles on the car.  Every time I load a tune the first time I do a wide-open-throttle pull from a stop, the shift into second gear feels awful.  After driving for a few days it gets better every time, until it no longer happens at all.  Takes like a week on my car.  Don't know if it's the same issue, but I thought I'd offer up some info.  My car is a 2014 MKS.
Sounds about right.I heard somewhere the trans was self learning.Thanks.

Quote from: glock-coma on November 02, 2017, 03:28:44 PM
The trans fluid shifts backward durning launch causing some of the hard shifting/wheel hop.
I remember livernois mentioning adding an extra quart of fluid fixes the issue.

Also tires could have something to do with it.

I have added an extra pint on some of my old cars that left hard.I'll try it and see.Thanks.