• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Boost Solenoid, how many?

Started by TopherSho, October 31, 2017, 05:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Brad and I are looking at my logs and he is seeing a large boost spike.  He thinks there is a issue with the boost solenoid(s) but he is unsure if there are one (on top) or two? 

Any ideas much-smarter-than-i-people?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not super certain and in the log I looked at it only shows 1 bank not both. Unless I'm chasing a problem I only look at 1 bank in my standard config. I wouldn't bother with the secondary 02's they just monitor the cats. But honestly for how you run the car and spraying meth and your car is a 2010 I would replace the primary 02's anyway. But in the log there was a spot during WOT where it went flat on stft's and that can be an indicator that the primary 02's are on the way out.

But besides all that, the 02's aren't your problem. And you seemed disappointed that the ECU detected no misfires. It appears to me that's because there were no misfires. In those last 2 logs you are overboosting. And there are a few different ways that the ECU will try to control that. Could be throttle, spark, wastegates. And that's probably the noises you were hearing. If you are certain that the vac lines are ok and the boost solenoid is ok then you could have a sticky wastegate...Your car is a 2010 so there have been thousands of heat cycles.

You will never see boost rising at the top like your's was....Something is not right with the boost control

I'm not sure if there is 1 or 2 boost solenoids
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

AFAIK, there is only one solenoid (BL3Z-9K378-A), and that is located atop the manifold.

(FROM THE FSM PC/ED description)
Turbocharger (TC) Wastegate Regulating Solenoid Valve
The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to indirectly control the turbocharger wastegates. The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve controls the feedback pressure to a pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm in order to control the boost pressure limit. When the compressor outlet pressure is allowed to increase, a pneumatically powered actuator opens each turbocharger wastegate and limits compressor outlet pressure.

The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve supplies pressure to the pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm, which regulates the maximum boost pressure to a constant value. A pressure greater than 35.5 kPa (5psi) on the pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm opens the wastegate. The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve can partially vent (reduce) the control pressure, resulting in increased regulated maximum boost.

A duty cycle of 100% vents feedback pressure to the intake air supply, eliminating any boost limit control by the wastegate. A duty cycle of 0% results in the base boost limit.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on October 31, 2017, 06:05:09 PM
AFAIK, there is only one solenoid (BL3Z-9K378-A), and that is located atop the manifold.

(FROM THE FSM PC/ED description)
Turbocharger (TC) Wastegate Regulating Solenoid Valve
The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to indirectly control the turbocharger wastegates. The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve controls the feedback pressure to a pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm in order to control the boost pressure limit. When the compressor outlet pressure is allowed to increase, a pneumatically powered actuator opens each turbocharger wastegate and limits compressor outlet pressure.

The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve supplies pressure to the pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm, which regulates the maximum boost pressure to a constant value. A pressure greater than 35.5 kPa (5psi) on the pneumatically powered wastegate diaphragm opens the wastegate. The TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve can partially vent (reduce) the control pressure, resulting in increased regulated maximum boost.

A duty cycle of 100% vents feedback pressure to the intake air supply, eliminating any boost limit control by the wastegate. A duty cycle of 0% results in the base boost limit.

Thanks Boss!
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2 ! Only one.  Z
PDF on Pressure and Temperature Sensor Correlation

There are possible causes such a damaged turbocharger boost pressure (TCBP)CHARGE AIR COOLER TEMP (CACT)SENSOR CONTAMINATED OR BLOCKED TCBP/CACT sensor slow responding TCBP/CACT sensor.

Check the intake air system for leaks and restrictions.

The TCBP.CACT sensor is a dual function pressure and temp sensor located on the intake air tube between the charge air cooler(CAC)AND THE THROTTLE BODY.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JUL90DXgdidFg4ZmN6SzF3cVVueGo2TFNSNUtfamJPcllN

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8JUL90DXgdicnIyR3ZSUmtxWXdVbVVfck93NDRsOUtBWUw4

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Thanks for the advise guys,  I have a platinum warranty so i have it back to stock and will have the Ford folks ferret it out later this week or early next week.

it will be all free parts and they can use the diagnostics.