• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

VB

Started by geswek, August 07, 2013, 04:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I'm glad you guys have responded to this who have extensive VB experience, it's what I've read up on over the years. I've been using SMF as it's free for over a decade and it's good stuff. Mostly set it and forget it type forum. I'll do my best to keep this one working and spam free. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

breeves002

Looks like someone got Rick Rolled...........  :banging:

I sure haven't noticed any spam. . . . Keep up the good work! :beer:
SHO Lover and Advanced Diagnostics Enthusiast
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - 3.5L N/A Duratec

geswek

LMAO; only you caught it.

I would literally hump Mike's leg (4DR) if he was near for making a home for me to plant my fat rear end.

mjhpadi

Spam free is a blessing!  Bpd and I could tell horror stories of the hours and hours (semed endless) of blocking and deleting spam and spammers!  I became like a job, it was no funny at all.  And if you left the computer for 30 minutes, there were more of them.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Joleat

I couldn't agree more. As a former moderator of a couple different forums, I can tell you that it can become very tiring to spend all of your time on the board in "mod-mode". Moderators shouldn't feel like it's a second job.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

dimspace

Quote from: Timeless on August 08, 2013, 09:10:34 AM
While the current software here is a bit squirrely in how it flows, it is certainly better than VB5 that was on that other forum.

Just wish you could get mouse-over previews on this current software...somewhat annoying as I like to preview posts before clicking on them.

im working on it on my test server, its proving a coding headache. ;)

dimspace

My view on VB. First I should say I have an smf based forum, and have handcoded huge parts of it (which is part of what appeals ) so I do have a natural preference for SMF, but..

VB is heading on a very fast downward spiral. The staff and devs there used to be great, really cared about their product. Sadly over the last 18 months many of the good ones have gone, and what is left is a bunch of devs that dont really care about the product, and are more interested in just selling it to unsuspecting mugs and then offering very little in the way of support.

VB5, despite what was described as "extensive beta testing" (the vast majority of the tester feedback was that it sucked) was released with a huge number of bugs. At least count I beleive 400 such bugs have now been fixed and patched. VB5 is a sloth, its incredibly slow, many of the best features are gone, and its horrendous to work on. Its pretty much killing the company.

Which takes us back to VB4 and VB3. Now VB3 was pretty good, plenty of functionality, VB4 was a huge improvement but both have one massive flaw. Security. In fact VB4 is so flawed from a security point of view that the last time I looked, the latest updated version of VB4 was actually OLDER than the latest updated version of VB3. (how does that work).

About a month ago, the PCGamer forum (running VB4) was hacked. As a result, future publishing who are behind PCGamer magazine, as well as the cyclingnews forums, and many many others shut down ALL of their forums for nearly three weeks while they tried to get to the root of the issues with VB.

SMF isnt without its faults. The development team at time fractures, rebuilds, theres a very long release cycle. 2.1 is only now coming on the horizon (about the time that 3.0 was planned), but the things it does have are security, and a pretty active community fixing holes, creating extensions for it, and if you have decent php knowledge and coding knowledge you can do some really good things with it.

for instance my forum velorooms.com is built on smf and doesnt look very smf like, but if you really want a shock check out idesign360.com which is also built entirely around smf.

dimspace

On the VB devs, basically pretty much all of them left when it was taken over by Internet Brands. The two main devs left to start Xenforo which is actually a pretty decent software (kinda what VB Could have been). The only remaining of the original devs was Freddie Bingham, who was released by VB in June.

Interestingly, VB5 have some resemblances to Xenforo, just implemented really badly.

Now who wants to hear the stories of VB staff spending their days posting positive reviews about VB on review sites :D