• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Blown Engine

Started by MattC, October 26, 2017, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

Hello everyone, I wish my first post was a good one but as the title says, I lost my engine the other day. Seems the water pump/timing chain is a common part to fail in high mileage bulls.

My question today is will a 2013+ engine with transmission and turbos fit in my 2010? I read that the cam sensors, crank sensor, crank sensor tone wheel, and coolant inlet tube would need to be swapped over from my 2010 engine but that's all the help I've found and that didn't cover anything that would possibly need to be swapped out on the transmission.

I've been following everyone in here with their mods so I'm chomping at the bit to get up and running! I'd love to upgrade the turbos but this kind of stomped that budget. So I'm thinking a compressor wheel and wastegate upgrade while the engine is out, along with the supporting mods needed to get the most out of them.

Thanks in advance!
2015 Explorer Sport: ported intake, tuned, 100% meth, downpipes

SHOdded

Sorry to hear!  How many miles on your SHO?

Yeah, so far only engine replacements have been documented.  No idea if there are any crucial issues with the transmission, but since the 2010-12 trans bolts right onto the 2013+ engine, I assume not.  Good time to change out the TSS/OSS sensors if the mileage is high enough, and examine/clean the valve body/solenoid body assembly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Ok : DIFFERENT SUBJECT AND JUST THINKING "Is it Possible",
I am thinking a total Subframe Swap (Meaning Engine & Trans)
2011 SHO to the 2013 PI..... What do you Guys think...?
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

MattC

My car had 160k on it so I'd like to replace everything with a lower mileage unit. I had been having slipping, clunking, shuddering, you name it in the trans for a long time which was probably just the sensors you listed going bad.

I have been quoted $1800 for engine, trans, and turbos to my door from a '13 PI with 84k miles. Still higher mileage but I thought it was a great starting price point. Hopefully, it fits because my truck's gas mileage hurts my soul!

irondoor19

Quote from: MattC on October 26, 2017, 12:07:18 PM
My car had 160k on it so I'd like to replace everything with a lower mileage unit. I had been having slipping, clunking, shuddering, you name it in the trans for a long time which was probably just the sensors you listed going bad.

I have been quoted $1800 for engine, trans, and turbos to my door from a '13 PI with 84k miles. Still higher mileage but I thought it was a great starting price point. Hopefully, it fits because my truck's gas mileage hurts my soul!
"Price is More than Right" would be great if you can get it on the Subframe....!
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

DerricksSho

Quote from: MattC on October 26, 2017, 12:07:18 PM

1800 for motor and trany thatsa really good deal I paid 2400 for a low mile 2013 motor when mine went. Sorry to here good luck with the rebuild.
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

MattC

"Price is More than Right" would be great if you can get it on the Subframe....!
[/quote]

Do you think this is a plug and play deal or would you recommend looking into swapping the ECU?

And what's everyone's opinion on mileage? I'm a little hesitant on 84k but I'm not hesitant about the price haha keeping in mind I'd like to mod the bull once it's back up and running.

Macgyver

Timing chain and such I would look at.

Trans and your PTU is another issue.

Plenty of people out there on 150+

MattC

After talking around more, I think I'll be biting the bullet on an engine, trans, turbos from a 2016 Police Explorer with 39k miles for $2,500. I can't imagine finding a better price and will report back to everyone as to how well/if it goes haha wish me luck and if at any point someone runs across something that I need to know, let me know! This should start to get off the ground in the next 2 weeks.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MattC

Thank you SHOdded, I see that you're in Beltsville, I'm 97 miles North on 95 from you. Any place you recommend working on the Taurus that might have a little more insight on using different parts rather than OEM as a Ford Tech is used to? My two friends are Ford Tech's and darn good ones but they haven't instilled me with any faith when using different year parts.

SHOdded

I do not, sadly.  BUT I would start with a known good Ford dealership/service dept.  There was one in NoVA recommended a while back, might be in our Recommended listing.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7039.msg107916.html#msg107916

"go by Koons Ford in Sterling and ask to see Allen in service. He used to have a SHO, then a Explorer Sport."

Ted Britt Ford may be hit/miss.