• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any airbox mods worth the effort?

Started by GIGANTORE, October 24, 2017, 09:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GIGANTORE

I live in hot-ass Florida. Where the weather is a turbo killer. I plan to keep the the stock air box. Rather not heat soak a CAI and make its use pointless. But, I do know that sometimes we can make tweaks to a stock design to make it breath better. Are there any tips/tricks to getting the most out of a stock air box?

AJP turbo

I don't think much to gain..There is a snorkel that draws air from outside the engine bay with the stock airbox. So the OEM's now are essentially all using a CAI...If you throw a drop in K and N filter in there you are good.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Stick with the stock. As AJP said, you can do a drop in filter if you want, but even that may not net much if anything. The only reason for a CAI is if you want that CAI whistle, power wise there wont be a noticable difference if any.

I ran the Airaid on my SHO while I had it because i got it in a set of used parts, courtesy of AJP, it looks good in the engine bay, but it didnt make a difference in how the car ran. I ran the same as any other STOCK SHO with the airaid in place and the stock tune. The TUNE is where all the magic happens on these cars, and after that downpipes. My car ran 14-14.2 stock with the airaid, and with the AJP tune, I broke into 12s with no additional parts. Thats a heck of an improvement (car ran to 12.88 with tune, and CAI + 3bar). Later-on I did downpipes, and a T-stat, and the car SHOULD HAVE run low 12s but I broke something boost related, and was in perpetual underboost. The first run that day before anything broke, I launched like a lazy pig, had like a 2.5 60' and still cut a better time than pre-downpipes, but I broke something so I dont know what it truely could run.

That said, the livernoise CAI is a rebranded airaid, dont waste the money unless you want the eye candy. Along with that, colder plugs aren't really going to net anything unless you're running a ton of spark, T-stat wont do much either, and a 3bar is purely so you can better measure the boost spikes, as most tunes wont push past the capabilities of a 2 bar outside of boost spikes.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

GIGANTORE

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on October 24, 2017, 11:05:29 AM
Quote from: GIGANTORE on October 24, 2017, 09:51:46 AM
I live in hot-ass Florida. Where the weather is a turbo killer. I plan to keep the the stock air box. Rather not heat soak a CAI and make its use pointless. But, I do know that sometimes we can make tweaks to a stock design to make it breath better. Are there any tips/tricks to getting the most out of a stock air box?
Hello, may i ask what kind of vehicle you have? We have many specially designed cold air intakes that may suit your needs

I have a 2014 SHO PP. Unless your intake is sealed perfectly, its not for me. And I have no interest in intake noise. This car is supposed to be a sleeper. Im already pushing the noise limits with catless DPs. Im not really interested in spending close to $300 on an intake that will net me minimal gains.

For the sake of argument, what kind of power gains can be seen with your CAI?

bamsho

Cody, I've run both CAI and stock box with my meth tune and V10 91 tune.    I raced 2.5 years with a 2012 and my current 2013.  I tried both intakes on both cars and never saw that much gain. All the mods for the 2012 where put on the 2013, also I'm a Livernois customer.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

bpd1151

.3 improvement? Ha. Gimme some of what you're smoking. Geezuz.

1st post you said no changes between the runs, only the addition of the CAI, but now in your reply to BAM_SHO you include the comment of maybe your exhaust work having a factor in it?

So which one is it? No changes between runs? Or you changed BOTH the CAI & the exhaust for a combined gain of .3?

Not intending to dime you out Cody, and your enthusiasm is to be commended, but many of us, including myself, one of the most staunch supporters of LMS, have been in the SHO game long before you got hired on.

I only suggest that as you continue on, to be upfront and forthcoming, or the community will eat you alive. Embellishing will only tarnish the reputation of your employer.

Just a sound word of advice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GIGANTORE

So, he actually deleted his post? Thats kinda sketchy

TopherSho

Quote from: GIGANTORE on October 24, 2017, 09:51:46 AM

Pull the lower weather stripping off the hood.  Air will push in from the lip a bit more.  but overall it will not have any affect at idle/stoplight/staging lanes.  but it will help push air a bit more at speed.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: GIGANTORE on October 24, 2017, 02:38:36 PM
I just ddint want to continue to argue with anyone, upon looking back at it, it was with the custom exhaust work as well as the cold air, realistic gains are somewhere around 7-15hp with better airflow so i think that in combination with my freeflowing exhaust rprobably is the factor that made such a huge difference, sorry guys, its Tuesday but seems like a Monday in my head my apologies!

SHOdded

Well, we do know that cold air makes a difference.  Bamsho had extended the intake snorkel to the front bumper on his 2012 IIRC, gaining at least a tenth in the process.  Hiwever, it was not a DD mod :(
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

My dealer did this Cold Air Mod to my OEM box. Reinstalled it after they changed my trans fluid.

Talk about shady as efff. They broke it and reinstalled it. Yes you got that right.

bpd1151

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on October 24, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
Quote from: GIGANTORE on October 24, 2017, 02:38:36 PM
I just ddint want to continue to argue with anyone, upon looking back at it, it was with the custom exhaust work as well as the cold air, realistic gains are somewhere around 7-15hp with better airflow so i think that in combination with my freeflowing exhaust rprobably is the factor that made such a huge difference, sorry guys, its Tuesday but seems like a Monday in my head my apologies!
Clarification is good. And very much welcome.

To that end, good job. Appreciated. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Quote from: Macgyver on October 24, 2017, 04:40:48 PM
My dealer did this Cold Air Mod to my OEM box. Reinstalled it after they changed my trans fluid.

Talk about shady as efff. They broke it and reinstalled it. Yes you got that right.
:o :o :o
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

gtmorgan23

Pull the lower weather stripping off the hood.  Air will push in from the lip a bit more.  but overall it will not have any affect at idle/stoplight/staging lanes.  but it will help push air a bit more at speed.

anyone have a pic of this done?
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can