• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS 4+X Alky Controller settings

Started by StealBlueSho, October 22, 2017, 12:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

I have been studying the logs and am trying to dial in the Alky PAC specifically for the LMS 4+X tune. My other tuners ramp up the boost fast enough that I don't see these symptoms. In any event..

1: Right now I have the the turn on set to 2.20 volts which equates to 6psi turn on.  I have played with setting this to 8psi and 10 psi respectively but when I have the spray kicking on that late, I tend to get part throttle knock at 7psi - 8psi when I am going up hills at lower rpms (3K or so?). I am seeing around +2 KR to +2.5 KR. Its not every time, but often enough that it concerns me.  When I spray at 6psi I do not have this problem.

2: Turn on it set to 4.2V.. basically the pump it seeing 14V and when monitoring the turn on rheostat it drops to about 9.8 when pushing the test button. This about where Julio recommended setting it.

3: The gain is set to 6.5.

So if you were to look at the controller settings from a clock perspective the turn on it sitting a hair below 10 o'clock and the Initial is set a hair and I meant a hair past 12 o'clock.

This seems to work OK, but I have noticed from my logs that I run REALLY rich off the line. Partially due to the throttle closures which will cause you to run rich when spraying meth. I would like to see my lambda on both banks not drop into the .68 to .69 area.  Thats the only time is really drops that low but that is also when the LMS tune has the throttle kick in the highest. If this is normal, then so be it, I would just preferr to have a cleaner fuel curve off the line as I wonder how much running rich is causing me to bog off the line? Dunno..

The two pressing concerns I have are A: The part throttle knock when not spraying and B: When the pump kicks on at 6psi and I am part throttle the engine will surge as the pump kicks on and off at the PSI bounces around 5.5 - 6.5 when part throttling. Seen specifically when going up hills trying to keep a constant speed.

Anyone with the 2010-2012 SHO's that have the LMS Alky kit experience this? I am guess the surging yet, but the small amount of part throttle KR maybe not noticeable, especially since most LMS tuned guys don't monitor that close since the mycalibrator doesn't offer those features.

TIA!

bpd1151

I can datalog with my touch screen MyCalibrator that LMS sold in rare quantities back in the day. Not sure why they stopped selling them either quite honestly. It's an awesome device, that seemed ahead of its time.

Anyhow,  I never really cared to datalog at that time, and am not even terribly motivated to do so now quite honestly. But It's an available option for those that have the touch screen model.

You can see it listed on the option screen in this little video I made years ago (assuming I attached it properly) to help fellow owner's find their strategy code(s).

As far as the settings on your meth kit, relating to the 'initial', and the 'turn-on', I think every car I'm aware of, has been a little bit different.

Mine started out as depicted in the photo, but I know that both I, and Dan Millen, have adjusted them over time. But if what you are experiencing now, after adjusting, seems to be working for 'ya, why mess with it?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59ecd524b0322/VID_20140108_102017_255_zpsk3rdkrgt.mp4

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 22, 2017, 01:34:30 PM
I can datalog with my touch screen MyCalibrator that LMS sold in rare quantities back in the day. Not sure why they stopped selling them either quite honestly. It's an awesome device, that seemed ahead of its time.

Anyhow,  I never really cared to datalog at that time, and am not even terribly motivated to do so now quite honestly. But It's an available option for those that have the touch screen model.

You can see it listed on the option screen in this little video I made years ago (assuming I attached it properly) to help fellow owner's find their strategy code(s).

As far as the settings on your meth kit, relating to the 'initial', and the 'turn-on', I think every car I'm aware of, has been a little bit different.

Mine started out as depicted in the photo, but I know that both I, and Dan Millen, have adjusted them over time. But if what you are experiencing now, after adjusting, seems to be working for 'ya, why mess with it?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59ecd524b0322/VID_20140108_102017_255_zpsk3rdkrgt.mp4

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

While I do agree with your assessment of "If it's working don't mess with it" which as an IT professional are words I live by, I feel as if there is room for improvement.

Mainly being that the surging annoys me... I live at the base of the blue ridge so it's very hilly where I live.

My initial is a bit higher than yours.. it was originally at your setting, however, it did not provide enough voltage to keep minimum pressure so the green light would cycle. Once I bumped it closer to 12 that issue went away. Much more stable but I suspect I am dumping a bit Meth when it turns on... which when going steady up hill causes me dump too much meth at the lower psi..