• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Taking it to the dealer to find coolant leak, should I.....

Started by jbrown9999, November 08, 2017, 05:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

Changing my oil this weekend found some coolant on the bottom of the engine (passenger side/the front of engine).  From all the replies I've seen, most likely the water pump.  I'm just under 20K (so sad its just a year old).

Should I go ahead and have them change the trans, ptu and rear diff fluids?  Its my intention to use the "Extreme use" standard which says every 30K miles.  So, I'm early but its going to be there anyway.

Thoughts?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

ZSHO

I highly doubt it's the water pump @ just under 20K! but guess anything is possible!
It's always better early than to late to change/flush your fluids especially the PTU and Trans.
Best of luck and keep us updated. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Wow, that is an EARLY failure if true.  Any timing chain rattle or warning of the sort?  Possible leak from hose to degas bottle?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jbrown9999

No noise that I've noticed.  I really couldn't see anything obvious from the top or bottom.

jbrown9999

Well, my trip got delayed a week, so won't be taking it to the dealer until next week.  Just checked and if there is a coolant leak its sloooooow.

Talked to Service Mgr and asked him his thoughts, he said "Its a new car, if it was mine, I'd bring it in."

I like that honesty.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jbrown9999

So, my SHO is already at 20k miles.  So, when I took it in, I asked them to do the PTU, Trans fluid, Rear Diff and cabin filter.

Prices quoted are:

PTU - $125
Trans - $189.95
Rear Diff - $149.95

How does that compare to what others are getting at the dealer?

ZSHO

How much for the cabin filter install ?  It looks like the Dealer provided the fluids correct ?
They did give you an excellent price on the PTU fluid change but overall a good deal.
The grand total of $465.00 sounds about right IMO.

I'm hoping they found the source of the coolant leak! resolved ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Those prices aren't bad.

If you're adventurous, you could ask to speak with the driveline tech.  If you get to him, you could ask if the dealer allows side projects and let him know what you want done.  Some dealers are OK with it and some techs like side money.

I'm lucky and have that kind of source.  Prices come way down, but nothing is recorded for resale/warranty if you care.

Overall, best to go through the proper channels in most cases.  I just want a particular person working on my car and don't care about documentation.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

jbrown9999

With the basic and extended warranty, I prefer to have the documentation.