• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Very Very interesting read concerning Oil and Knock

Started by Macgyver, October 15, 2017, 03:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

I got this web link from an Ecoboost Facebook page. It certainly is a good read.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/oil-composition-direct-injection-low-speed-knock/

It looks it to me that We should stay away from high detergent synthetic oil especially with high Sodium levels.

Dont idle long and then hammer it. Give it a few good revs first. Clear that sludge off.

Here is a quote from with in this Article to start this discussion off.

"What we saw was that with the factory ECU tuning there was definitely a noticeable difference in the knock levels of the engine when running high Sodium and Calcium levels in a mineral based oil as seen in the top graph on the yellow line. The bottom graph shows the same engine calibration, but with a synthetic blend using only Calcium and at moderate levels. We also found ways to mitigate the amount of knock present by modifying the calibration with regards to injection timing and fuel pressure settings. Changing spark advance or retard had little effect at controlling the knock. It is also apparent, at least from the current state of processing the data, that the reactionary phenomenon is aggravated at lower engine temperatures. This is due to the viscosity index of the oil making it thicker and therefore more difficult for the rings to remove all of it from the cylinder wall, so more oil is exposed to the direct impingement of fuel splashing off the top of the piston and contacting the oil directly," says Ben Strader......... so full syn should be good ? vs ford half n half stuff? i personally use mobil 1 as amsoil isn't sold in stores around here (and being 3x as much doesn't help though if it were easier to get i'd probably spring for it)

Gjkrisa

Agreed Mobil 1 is $6 at Walmart for anual 5w-30 ams oil is $12 but ams oil is still tried and true on the forum so I'm sticking with ams oil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

If only it were so easy!  First calcium, then sodium.  I think the main takeaway is to use oils that are formulated to deal with the problem, and not use additives on top.  Disrupting modern oil chemistry is generally not a good idea.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Somewhere around here is a research study I posted about the effect of fuel additives and LSPI...

The bottom line IIRC was gas with noo additives had zero LSPI

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 15, 2017, 05:32:34 PM
Oil additives or fuel additives, FoMoCo?  Trying to find that study.
Fuel...

I bring this up because I believe both may cause LSPI.

Oddly enough, the best knock suppressing combo I just found out recently Is Speedway 93 and Speedway corn mixed at E45.

Everyone know I've been a Shell fanboi but...their AD packs are a bit beefier than other brands and I do think there could be a link.

Even though KR wasn't really an issue before my knock sensor has been unusually quiet, now going days between events.

I think I'm 3 or four tanks deep now, initially it was laziness, having a IDGAF day.

Sparkie has been detuned but I will continue observing the Lincoln.

Awaiting my 93 base tune in case I find myself without corn, but straight to E45 after that.

SHOdded

Pretty soon you will be running straight 30 weight oil, LOL.

FoMoCoSHO

No but I do think the oil issue might be able to be overcome by a fuel with very high octane and excessive cooling...like E45.