• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

catch can for 2017 3.5 EB

Started by jjc155, October 14, 2017, 08:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjc155

hey guys I search through the forum and couldn't find this info.

Are you guys running or feel it necessary to run a catch can setup on the 2017 3.5EB with the DI and Port injection set ups?

I know it definitely a "won't hurt" kind of thing. Other forums I have seen it be a some what hotly contested issue.

Still trying to figure out if its a must mod for me.

Thanks
J-
2017 F150 XLT Sport SCREW 4x4, Stock 3.5EB.

Tazman906

Same here would like to know if Catch can is necessary and if so what type works the best and easiest install the UPR or JLT?

bpd1151

All the results I've seen thus far, from over the years by those who have run them, are that they are inconsistent at best.

I don't run one mine, and have never seen the need to. I've chosen to invest my mod money elsewhere.

ZSHO

I'm not quite certain if bpd1151 SHO is an earlier Build job 1 but wish they never eliminated the Heated version PCV system which IMO was more effective against excessive oil blow by and the elements!

I found using a quality True Full Synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Redline to help alleviate these conditions followed by reducing the amount of excessive idling which should immensely help out in the long run IMO!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

A catchcan in a dual injection setup may not be as critical, assuming they have not introduced new issues with the new setup.  F150s have tended to need the catchcan more than their transverse siblings.  But YMMV.  I would track the performance of your specific vehicle, see if there is crud accumulating anywhere then make a call on the need for the catchcan.  The backs of the intake valves may now be shiny, but the intercooler and piping may still be taking a beating.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

This is true. The F150's have shown that catch cans are beneficial.

But in the 3.5 Transverse power plants, not so much.

mjhpadi

When I questioned Ford engineers during a session a few years ago at Carlisle, they all echoed that a catch can doesn't hurt but none of them felt it was necessary and thought in general they were a fairly ho-hum idea.  Much in the way that any of the available off-the-shelf CAI systems really don't add any performance and that other than a custom setup like BPD's they actually reduce actual track performance from the stock air box. 
Until Ford recommends the catch can, not a mod I am plan on adding. 
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

mjhpadi

Quote from: ZSHO on February 17, 2018, 12:51:29 PM
I'm not quite certain if bpd1151 SHO is an earlier Build job 1 but wish they never eliminated the Heated version PCV system which IMO was more effective against excessive oil blow by and the elements!

BPD car was built on 10 December 2009 and is a Job 1 car.  My car is also a Job 1 with a build date of 30 Nov. 2009.  Mike Valentine's car was also built on 30 Nov. 2009 and we believe that our cars were on the line together...another worthless fact but we think having 3 cars with these close build dates is pretty cool.  Although I am not quite sure the BPD's car will ever complete it's build......
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

FoMoCoSHO

Transverse 2011 3.5 valves 105k unknown maintenance history.

Currently running full E85 and Amsoil signature 0-30

AJP turbo

It' looks a little crusty but not abnormal to me....What is that shiny part on the top pic?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on February 18, 2018, 02:38:09 PM
It' looks a little crusty but not abnormal to me....What is that shiny part on the top pic?
PCV opening...thought it a little odd it is clean and shiny

One question...on the bottom pic (1/7), is that the shape of the valve or is a piece broken off?

SHOdded

BTW, have you seen the latest PDS for Amsoil Sig series?  The 0 oils have at least 2 percentage points more Noack.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

@ - FoMoCo Rear valve cover new ? maybe,perhaps ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on February 18, 2018, 05:23:17 PM
@ - FoMoCo Rear valve cover new ? maybe,perhaps ?  Z
Dunno but I will check. Need to practice maneuvering with the camera.