• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Clicking bypass valve

Started by pmezo33, November 18, 2017, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmezo33

At start up, i'm hearing a clicking noise from the bypass valve all of a sudden.  It just randomly clicks like a stuck actuator every 10 seconds or so.  Definitely coming from the bypass valve.  The car drives fine and the clicking eventually goes away after a while.

Pulled out the plug and there was a light coating of oil on the plug.  No external leaks anywhere.  Pulled the valve out of the intake tubing and the part number written on the valve is AA5E-9U465-AC, but I'm not seeing that part anywhere.  I'm sure it's old and outdated.   Diaphragm looks to be in good condition with no tears.

Anyone ever deal with this before?

Edit:  Found the part on tasca that's clicking. 

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-air-duct-valve-aa5z9u465a/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cG93ZXJ0cmFpbi1jb250cm9sJmk9S0QwOTA2MzUmcj0xMiZhPWxpbmNvbG4mbz1ta3MmeT0yMDEwJnQ9ZWNvYm9vc3QmZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw%3D%3D

ZSHO

The front or rear?  It could be a loose pin or corroded harness connector. 
I would visually inpect both front and rear for comparison and clean it with some electronic cleaner .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Quote from: ZSHO on November 18, 2017, 12:21:30 PM
The front or rear?  It could be a loose or corroded harness connector on the pins.
I would visually inpect both front and rear and clean it with some electronic cleaner .Z

Rear.  Maybe i'll try switching the two valves to see if the noise moves to rule out harness issues.  Already cleaned with light coating of MAF cleaner and just kind of letting it air out at the moment.  Didn't have electronic cleaner. 

If the clicking stays with the valve when i move it, I'll probably just replace it.  Seems like the only logical thing to do.

ZSHO

Here's the harness/connector just in case you need it.  Z
$24.79  Motorcraft AU2Z14S411UA

Did you check for any codes ?
         https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,electrical-connector,supercharger+bypass+solenoid+/+valve+connector,15856

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Quote from: ZSHO on November 18, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
Here's the harness/connector if you need it.  Z
$24.79
Did you check for any codes ?
         https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,electrical-connector,supercharger+bypass+solenoid+/+valve+connector,15856

Switched the valve and it's not clicking anymore.  I'll have to wait until it's cold since that's the only time it's doing it for now.  Thanks for that though.  If it's not the valve, i'll most likely replace the connector. 

No codes for now.

AJP turbo

Kind of weird..I want to say programming. I think the CBV's also run some self tests periodically.....I can't remember if you are tuned but did you ask your tuner if anything they did could cause a reaction?

Maybe the component is just failing? Not sure really
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pmezo33

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 18, 2017, 02:46:04 PM
Kind of weird..I want to say programming. I think the CBV's also run some self tests periodically.....I can't remember if you are tuned but did you ask your tuner if anything they did could cause a reaction?

Maybe the component is just failing? Not sure really

Not tuned.  100% stock 2010 mks.  About 155k miles at the moment.

So far it's only when the car is completely cold after sitting overnight.  And it only clicks for about 5 minutes until the car is warm and then no noise.  No codes and no performance issues.