• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Newby Questions

Started by PDSHO, November 12, 2017, 08:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDSHO

Hello, I have a 2013 Police Taurus with EB engine 135K mi.
The power seems strong, however sometimes I hear a squeal that sounds like a belt slipping at WOT. Not every time, no CEL.
I also sometimes think I hear air leaking at sporting throttle (not WOT) and hear a little poof of air when I let off the gas. Is that normal wastegate opening?
My only turbo experience is my stock 2007 LBZ Duramax, that seems to just spool up and down in a predictable way.
I have no experience with small twin turbos so go gentle on me!
Greg
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

Jordan

The squeal could be a belt slipping. Might check and see if it has decent tension on it. And when you hear a little poof of air after acceleration that is your wastegate opening. You are on it on that one!
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

PDSHO

I looked from the top and didn't see a belt, it must be accessible from underneath. I will check tomorrow.
Greg

Jordan

I am new to the cars as well so I am not sure where the squeal could be from. Someone should chime in I am assuming and let you know if there is anything to look at specifically.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SHOdded

Could be a belt slipping, but more likely bov/wastegate related.  Reason i say this is that some tunes can make the bov sound like geese honking - no joke.  You can log to see if you are losing boost perchance.  May be a broken seal contributing to the situation.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHO9987

Quote from: PDSHO on November 12, 2017, 08:19:49 PM
Hello, I have a 2013 Police Taurus with EB engine 135K mi.
The power seems strong, however sometimes I hear a squeal that sounds like a belt slipping at WOT. Not every time, no CEL.
I also sometimes think I hear air leaking at sporting throttle (not WOT) and hear a little poof of air when I let off the gas. Is that normal wastegate opening?
My only turbo experience is my stock 2007 LBZ Duramax, that seems to just spool up and down in a predictable way.
I have no experience with small twin turbos so go gentle on me!
Greg

I believe the belt is on the passenger side of the engine.  Maybe you can reach it by removing the passenger wheel and wheel well? Have some extra 1/4" screw tabs handy as it's sometimes hard to get them out without destroying them. It's on the bottom half of the engine so I'm not sure it can be reached from the top. 

The blow off valves normally recirculate air back into the intake track, I'm sure it's the same or similar on the interceptor too.  Even so, you can sometimes still hear them purging that air when you let off the throttle. 

As for the air leak in sporting mode, I'm not sure.   Could be a number of things.  Just double check all the hoses and clamps.  There are several hoses on top of the intake manifold that I think are part of the stock boost controller for these cars, sometimes they can pop off (for some reason ford didn't put clamps on them). 
2013 SHO Non-PP, Catless DPs, Custom 2.5" exhaust, Airraid CAI, Stock Turbo Upgrades, snow - W/M system, custom tune

PDSHO

I should trace all hoses and check for leaks.
One other thing I did was had a BG intake cleaning done at the same time my PTU was serviced.
I need to ride in another car with this drivetrain, and see if what I'm hearing is normal, maybe I'll go test drive one!!
Greg

SHOdded

Let us know what you find out :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Is there any difference with the A/C on ?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Citationdoc

I get this noise when the intercooler starts getting oil in it.  Purge the intercooler (there's a good description how on this forum). While you're at it, clean the MAP sensor and MAF sensor with APPROPRIATE cleaner.  Noise should go away and car will run WAY better
Flying in the air AND on the ground!
2013 SHO Green Gem Metallic
LMS Stage 1, Windstorm CAI, 3 bar MAP, 160 TS