• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Gates vs Motorcraft Water Pump

Started by Shadow351, October 11, 2017, 09:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow351

Hello All,
I picked up a 2010 SHO with 180k on it in September and got an Oil pressure warning this week. I put my oil pressure gauge on it and got 16 PSI at Hot idle (no oil pressure warning during the test, so it would seem the pressure was even lower the day before), so I think I need to replace the Oil Pump (unless anyone has any other suggestions of things to check first). It has also had a rattle for a second or so right at startup, so I plan to change the timing chains, tensioners, and guides, and I figure the water pump is on borrowed time, so I plan to change that while I'm in there. So I was going through making a parts list on the Ford Parts site and the water pump, (listed as PW-495 for both the SMPI and Ecoboost 3.5L), is $120 from Ford. I checked Rock Auto, which lists PW-538 for the SMPI 3.5L, but there is no Motorcraft pump listed for the Ecoboost. On the PW-538 info page, it lists PW-495 as an alternate\OEM part number. RA also has a Gates pump for the Ecoboost for $25 (the Gates pump for the SMPI 3.5L is a different part number and is $47).

Is there actually a difference between the water pumps on the SMPI and the Ecoboost? Is the Gates pump for the Ecoboost any good? I've heard good things about gates water pumps, but the $25 price makes me a little leery. Should I just pay the extra $100 for the listed Motorcraft part from Ford? Or will the PW-538 listed for the SMPI 3.5L (priced at $67) work on my SHO?

Thanks
-Brad

SHOdded

Welcome, and congrats, I think LOL.  Yeah the Ford site is confusing.  Did you search by VIN?

https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2010/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/cooling-system-cat/water-pump-scat
No.   Part #   Description   List Price   Price   
1   AA5Z-8501-D   Water Pump Assembly
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO, 2010-12
$121.18   $76.65   
2   7T4Z-8507-B   Water Pump Assembly Gasket
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO, 2010-12, OUTER
$8.33   $5.27   
3   7T4Z-8507-A   Water Pump Assembly Gasket
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO, 2010-12, INNER
$8.16   $5.16   
4   -W503278-S437   Water Pump Assembly Bolt
3.5 LITER W/ TURBO, 2010-12
$1.06   $0.61   

PW538 is the correct pump
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-Water-Pump-Assembly-aa5z8501d-/282451938411
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Tasca has the water pump for your specific model as the AA5Z-8501-D.  For something as difficult as a water pump to do on these cars (great design, ford), that's the only part i'd be putting in my car for this job.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-water-pump-assembly-aa5z8501d/?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPXdhdGVyLXB1bXAmaT1MUDA4MDQ1NSZyPTEmYT1mb3JkJm89dGF1cnVzJnk9MjAxMCZ0PXNobyZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

And Gates usually does make a fine product.  I've got a Gates water pump in my jeep and it's fine, but not something i'd risk for a job this difficult and time consuming.  I'd put the 100% correct part in there and hopefully be done with it.

ZSHO

Welcome aboard Shadow351 and IMHO would stick with the Oem Motorcraft parts specifically Tailored to your vehicle.
I would say sometimes these aftermarket parts are not equivalent or up to Par with OEM Specs.
The Gates water pump seems quite cheap for $25.00 and sometimes you get what you pay for and no dis intended.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Shadow351

I actually stumbled across a Motorcraft PW-495 Amazon for $67, so I ordered that one (the day I posted). Then I received a PW-538 (AA5Z-8501-D), I asked at the dealer and the guy at the parts desk said it is an updated part number, and it seems to have fit properly.

Anyway, new chains, guides (including an updated RH primary chain guide), and tensioners are installed as well as new oil and water pumps. I really hope this solves my oil pressure issue.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Nice score on the pump.
It's pretty ridiculous that a 70$ water pump can take out a $2k +  engine.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Just wondering if/when more oil pump failures will show up.  Noone's really complained about those so far AFAIK, but they are driven by the timing chain, and LME has an upgrade for them, so ...

Shadow351

Well it's back together and I have been driving it since Monday, so far no oil pressure warnings (knock on wood) but I've also switched to 5W-30. I'm still not absolutely sure the oil pump was the cause so we will have to see once the oil gets some miles on it. With it needing the timing chain replaced, and a new oil pump costing only $35 from Ford, I figured I would replace it while I was in there and see. That being said, the startup rattle is gone so no more strange/disturbed looks from bystanders when I start it, which is nice. Now I just have to fix the startup rattle in my 2004 F150.

SHOdded

Job well done :D  May the Force be with you!

Rockstar04

Quote from: Shadow351 on November 15, 2017, 10:11:30 AMNow I just have to fix the startup rattle in my 2004 F150.

After all the work on the EcoBoost, replacing the phasers on a 5.4L 3V should be a walk in the park.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock