• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Goodies- Coils and Noisemaker Delete

Started by gtmorgan23, October 04, 2017, 02:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtmorgan23

So I'm looking forward to this weekend because i have some packages waiting to be unboxed and added to my SHO.

I have a set of MSD coils and the ECO power Parts Noisemaker delete pipe.

I know they don't really do much (debatable for the coils) but none the less I'm still excited for some wrench time.

I still also need to swamp my battery out for another one. Mine is on its last leg and getting annoying.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

2013blksho

SHOdded

x2 on the coils, I did not know they make them for the 3.5EB.  Battery, you can opt for the Motorcraft Toughmax 850, or get the Odyssey 1750.  There are other AGM Group 65 variants from Sears, Autozone, etc. with lower ratings if you want to go that route.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

gtmorgan23

I get a military discount at Oreillys so I planned on getting their 65 group AGM. There is a store right down from my house for future warranty needs. 
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/super-start-platinum-5003/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/battery/65plt/4742702/2015/ford/taurus

Here is a writeup and dyno on the MSD coils. Matt Robinson of Gearheads was the one that did the testing. I figured with my larger gap on my plugs it would be a worthwhile upgrade. Chatted with him some on FB about them. Figured why not.
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-msd-performance-coil-packs-for-ford-ecoboost-engines/

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

SHOdded

Battery looks good.  Some good tech info in that article as well :thumb:

Yes, P/Ns for OEM coils are different for 2010-12 vs 2013+ SHOs
2010-12:  AA5Z-12029-A
2013+      BL3Z-12029-C
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

gtmorgan23

I got the MSD coils from CJ pony parts. They are the same PN as the F150 ones and I was able to use a discount code. I got them out the door for right under 230 with no tax and free shipping.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

Macgyver

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 04, 2017, 03:15:05 PM
I get a military discount at Oreillys so I planned on getting their 65 group AGM. There is a store right down from my house for future warranty needs. 
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/super-start-platinum-5003/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery-12836/battery/65plt/4742702/2015/ford/taurus

Here is a writeup and dyno on the MSD coils. Matt Robinson of Gearheads was the one that did the testing. I figured with my larger gap on my plugs it would be a worthwhile upgrade. Chatted with him some on FB about them. Figured why not.
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-msd-performance-coil-packs-for-ford-ecoboost-engines/

Great article. Nice battery. Plus the Coils look great after install If you are leaving the beauty cover off. I will put these on my upgrade list thats for sure. Get them before the tune along with the plugs. I want to get the HR springs first as that really changes the car.

SHOdded

The coils are available in red, black and blue, I believe.  If only they were available in white :D

gtmorgan23

I am def leaving the cover off. It really does seem to trap in alot of heat.

Picking up the Eco Power parts delete pipe today from the UPS store on the way home.

I went with the crinkle black option as its suppose to look the most like stock.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

SHOdded

derfdog15

Seems the coils may not be a real gain from the graphs in that link. On both platforms under 3-4k rpm, the stock system seemed to put out more torque and power, and above that the gain was within 5-10 hp. On top of that, that seems to be within general cycle to cycle variation with a dyno.

Still, they can't hurt. Let us know your reaction but I'm thinking its like a CAI swap, cool factor but HP:$ ratio is a bit lacking.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

You guys are just so practicalminded LOL.

gtmorgan23

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

derfdog15

Quote from: SHOdded on October 05, 2017, 01:20:44 PM
You guys are just so practicalminded LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the guy that spends $100 for 2 HP on a dyno, just to have it, just figured I'd point it out for those that didn't open the link. Every vehicle I have ever called my own has had a CAI, because I like the concept of an aftermarket CAI and the whistle is addicting when you pull air in.

Also, I should note, the dyno performed on these cars  (from what I got from the article) was bonestock with custom tune vs. bonestock (except coils - replaced for MSD part) and custom tune.

This means that in a more modded platform, say upgraded turbos, E85, etc. there may be a better gain, or better reliability. It definitely can't hurt and is probably a very good peace of mind/support mod.

TLDR: Most likely the coils are worth it from a support/reliability perspective (we will have to see how they hold up) and peace of mind (given they do have the reliability expected -MSD is a pretty good company) but maybe not a noticeable power increase with just the coils

Edit: I re-read the article and on the SHO they even state the gains are above 5K. This is definitely not going to be felt on the street in most real world situations, and a minor improvement at the track (since the stock turbos lost a lot of steam at the top end. BUT, this supports my statement of being a good support mod, with a turbo that can keep pushing all the way to redline these may have a better gain.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Well, it is very difficult to extract gains on modern vehicles with ignition or air intake components.  As is obvious from the plethora of Dyno charts, gains tend to be relatively muted and in the upper rpm range.  OEMs have pretty much locked down the low and mid-range.  So what we are left with is bling for everyday, and a bit of an edge when the high revving action happens.

And certainly what I said earlier was to lighten the mood :P