• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Trans TEMP

Started by DerricksSho, October 03, 2017, 11:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on October 07, 2017, 06:34:11 AM
Quote from: jbrown9999 on October 06, 2017, 08:29:01 PM
Sorry for the noob question but I didn't see anything mentioned for mileage when to actually change trans fluid.  I've seen 20k-50k for PTU but don't recall seeing suggestions for Trans fluid.
Ford states lifetime or 150K whichever comes first.  LOL.  I would go by old timey standards of every 5 years or 60K miles.  More frequent the harder you drive it.  So Normal conditions - 5/60.  Special Operating Conditions - 3/36.
That's a great recommendation on Manu's part.

I personally perform a double fluid drain/refill once a year, regardless of mileage.

At around $8 p/qt at the dealer, and picking up 6qts. at each swap, I can spare the hundo for solid piece of mind.

Call me crazy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Exactly.  Cray-Cray, LOL!  Seriously tho.  I don't know about you folks, but I like to keep parts working properly as long as possible.  There is definitely fun in rebuilding, upgrading, etc. but original parts have their own charm :) 

In any case, a drain/fill of trans fluid with every oil change (Mike?) is a GREAT idea.  Constantly pumping new blood into the system, taking gunk out.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on October 07, 2017, 03:05:36 AM
Quote from: polskifacet on October 05, 2017, 11:27:23 PM
yall welcome for that bypass valve trick :p. mine are around 190s when i beat on it. have bypass valve and aux cooler.
polski- are you running the aux cooler with the 2 T fittings or just straight back to the trans from the aux cooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have T fittings with the AUX cooler on the branch.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on October 07, 2017, 11:37:27 PM
yall welcome for that bypass valve trick :p. mine are around 190s when i beat on it. have bypass valve and aux cooler.
polski- are you running the aux cooler with the 2 T fittings or just straight back to the trans from the aux cooler?

IIRC you tested it both ways correct? did it stay cooler with one way or another?

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on October 07, 2017, 11:39:17 PM

IIRC you tested it both ways correct? did it stay cooler with one way or another?

I didn't test it the other way but can confirm that the aux cooler was 180 and i could hold the pipe that goes through the radiator. I followed the stock design.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on October 07, 2017, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on October 07, 2017, 11:39:17 PM

I didn't test it the other way but can confirm that the aux cooler was 180 and i could hold the pipe that goes through the radiator. I followed the stock design.
Sorry i'm seeking a little bit of clarity here. trans temps were 180 without the T's? Is there a reason you decided to decided to add the T's? Did you determine one way ran cooler than the other? or just wanted to keep it in stock configuration.
Trying to determine if it would be worth it for me to tear off the bumper and add the T's to my system since the aux cooler had no additional effect as its rigged up now.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Weird it really shouldn't be that much different either way. The stock cooler is part of the ac condenser coil. I don't think you will see cooler temps per se they will just be much more consistent. The thermostat won't allow temp to go under thermostat set point.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on October 08, 2017, 11:35:18 AM
Weird it really shouldn't be that much different either way. The stock cooler is part of the ac condenser coil. I don't think you will see cooler temps per se they will just be much more consistent. The thermostat won't allow temp to go under thermostat set point.
I thought the same so i plumbed the aux cooler in the simplest way possible. Starting to wonder if it does a damn thing at all or if it's the by-pass Tstat that's doing all the work. Although that's highly unlikely or FMC wouldn't have bothered with the additional cooler. The trans temps do seem more regulated and consistent but peak temps have not dropped at all post aux cooler install.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on October 08, 2017, 12:56:07 PM
Quote from: polskifacet on October 08, 2017, 11:35:18 AM
I thought the same so i plumbed the aux cooler in the simplest way possible. Starting to wonder if it does a damn thing at all or if it's the by-pass Tstat that's doing all the work. Although that's highly unlikely or FMC wouldn't have bothered with the additional cooler. The trans temps do seem more regulated and consistent but peak temps have not dropped at all post aux cooler install.
You would have to bypass the thermostat but then in the winter it would never warm up which is also bad.