• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best way to launch stock xsport

Started by boostedflex, October 02, 2017, 10:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boostedflex

Hey all, traded in my Flex for an Explorer, trying hard not to tune as I really don't want any warranty issues.  Trying to figure the best way to launch it, right now the best launch seems to be in sport mode and sand mode, brake rev to ~1600 rpm, release the brakes and floor it.  Anyone else have other suggestions?
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Rockstar04

What year explorer? I have a 2016 and there is an option in driver assistance (left info screen) to disable traction control without needing to mess with the terrain selector. I normally give 'er 3~5 seconds at around 2000 rpm hard on the brakes, dump the brakes and mash the gas. I haven't taken it to the strip yet to really fine tune that with 60' times.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

boostedflex

Hey Rockstar04 it is a 2017.  I will give the disable via the interface a shot.  For me it seems like power is being cut without the wheels even spinning or chirping for that matter.  It pulls hard for like half a second with a 2k rpm launch, then falls in its face, then recovers like a second or two later, but no spin or slip, so don't think it is the ptu/and safety or traction control kicking in.  If I launch at 1600 or so I don't get that bog.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold

Rockstar04

Quote from: boostedflex on October 03, 2017, 02:08:05 PM
Hey Rockstar04 it is a 2017.  I will give the disable via the interface a shot.  For me it seems like power is being cut without the wheels even spinning or chirping for that matter.  It pulls hard for like half a second with a 2k rpm launch, then falls in its face, then recovers like a second or two later, but no spin or slip, so don't think it is the ptu/and safety or traction control kicking in.  If I launch at 1600 or so I don't get that bog.

I should have mentioned that I'm tuned, so a lot of the factory torque limits are raised/gone for me (could explain the dip you see vs what I experience).  When I'd launch with the datalogger running I couldn't tell any difference between using the terrain selector vs using the driver assists option, plus then you don't need to remember to switch back to normal terrain after the launch. With traction control on there is very aggressive torque limiting that shows up as "Torque Steer" in the torque source.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

boostedflex

Ah yeah that explains a lot I think, although disabling the traction control did seem to help.  I need to play around more, my Flex launched so hard with its tune so I am having a hard time adjusting :)
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold