• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E30 study in South Dakota

Started by 92BlackGT, September 29, 2017, 05:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

92BlackGT

This is a pretty interesting read about E30 in non flex fuel vehicles. That dyno graph of the 2011 F-150 ecoboost is crazy since they kept the factory tune.

http://www.sdfu.org/assets/docs/uploads/gle-e30-challenge-white-paper-1-19-17final.pdf
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

They missed one key indicator,  they needed to monitor the Fuel system for brownouts ...
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Blackhawk

This kind of smashes all the people on Facebook that claim their SHO is just as fast on 87 octane.

TopherSho

with gen1 and oem fimrware it would be VERY close to the same speed.  My sho on 92-e10 in oem form was a 14.1 second 1/4 mile car.. i cannot even imagine how awful the spark tables were..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Quote from: TopherSho on September 29, 2017, 11:41:59 AM
with gen1 and oem fimrware it would be VERY close to the same speed.  My sho on 92-e10 in oem form was a 14.1 second 1/4 mile car.. i cannot even imagine how awful the spark tables were..

Good thing the ECU can adjust fast enough.

AJP turbo

Pretty good article..Only thing I disagree with is how they say that fuel economy is not really impacted...Due to physics it simply has to be impacted just a little...And they show graphs where people actually got better MPG's..I'd say that's likely due to poor testing methods.

Stoic value for E10 is about 14.07 so when Lambda is 1.0 like at cruising afr is 14.07
Stoic for E30 is 12.95 so when Lambda is 1.0 afr is 12.95 so you are using 8% more fuel ....ECU's and widebands target lambda not afr and in most of these cars the target lambda doesn't change in the tune, some do though.

So if you get 25 mpg's you should get about 23mpg's from using 8% more fuel

Now you can offset it. With more spark from E30 you can get more part throttle power which would allow you to use less pedal to get up to speed so less pedal would make load less which would use less fuel but I don't think that offsets it enough.

And at WOT you are dumping a ton of fuel when using E30 unless you change the WOT lambda targets which only some cars do.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Brucelinc

AJP, I totally get what you are saying.    I will point out, however, that with your E tune in my Continental, I got mileage as good or better than I did when the car was stock.  I base that on 220 mile round trips to the dragstrip where I run as well as normal street driving.  Granted, at the track, it sucked up fuel big-time but I was amazed to find street driving to be more economical than I expected.  Obviously, the additional spark was helping.

92BlackGT

the Department of Energy (https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_blends.html) funded a project for high octane fuels. They have a link at the bottom of that page to the results of that study.

Study link: https://bioenergykdf.net/hof

"E25 and E40 would achieve volumetric fuel economy parity with today's E10 with a 5 and 10% improvement in vehicle efficiency, respectively (i.e., fuel economy would be the same using HOF as today's vehicle using E10, and so every gallon of ethanol used in HOF would displace a full gallon of gasoline.)"

An ecoboost Fiesta was shown to have a 4.6% efficiency improvement on E15 so the 5% and 10% improvements with E25 and E40 are achievable with turbo charging and direct injection

'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

Macgyver

It must be enough to offset the lower power rating of added corn. This isnt the only forum that is reporting better fuel mileage with E tunes. As long as you dont mash the peddle.