• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Meth weird power behavior (renamed from meth failure)

Started by TopherSho, September 16, 2017, 08:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on September 18, 2017, 01:40:55 PM
Snow called me,  either they are super awesome at bs'ing,  or they really do support 100% meth.  I attached the audio recording.

They think the LED is burning out,  and is unrelated.  the LED only has the one element and is not a error light.
The contact very firmly stated 100% meth is fine for the pump
They do recommend replacing the lines at about a year if you run more than 50% meth
They asked to 12v test the pump and report back.

my thoughts::
I wonder ... does meth getting into the boost reference line have bad effects?
Is there is issue with the pressure switch itself?
did having back pressure from no check valve cause the diaphragm to become malformed?

It sounds like there willing to help if i can prove the pump is not working as designed.    i will get 20 feet of line and have the pump push a bunch of water through it,  then let sit overnight and retest.   if that works i will then push 8/9 pounds of pressure BACK UP the output line and retest again. 

Audio file is 3gp as recorded by my app :P  sorry no wave or mp3 option.

You can always load your non-meth tune and datalog it...compare your fuel trims to see if the pump is still working...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

FWIW.....

Last I spoke with Julio, a new pump alone was running like $160, & a rebuilt one was running $80.

My 1st pump lasted about 2.5yrs, and I'm on a rebuild pump now.

The rebuilt one's rock'n on year 3 now, as I type this.

Just extra info.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 18, 2017, 04:05:48 PM

You can always load your non-meth tune and datalog it...compare your fuel trims to see if the pump is still working...

It did pump.. and still does.. sorta.  it seems to lag,  pump then lag again.  makes the car buck bad, after it did that number i turned it off. 

cars in the shop on a unrelated issue so i will have to wait to test it specifically like that,  but i do have a protocol to run.

-----
let car sit overnight. 
drive car with it turned off to greatly over simulate the back pressure thoery..
take nozzle out of the collar.
turn car on accessory.
use a larger eye dropper to trigger the boost reference line (after verifying the boost line itself is fine)
observer and video the spray.
----

but for now all i have is the pump, so i am going to buy some tubing and just jump the pump with the 20 feet of line attached and see if it is struggling all of a sudden.  and maybe try pushing some fluid/air back up the output line and re-test as well.

i may also take 12v to the LED for G&G's

what i also need to do is figure out how to measure the voltage @ the pump to ensure it is getting a full 13 volts.. with the pump in the trunk i may have to set up my phone to video it and attach a voltmeter somehow.   
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

@ TropherSho i'm a bit confused  :-\  !! thought you had your Kit installed by a shop!!!.
FWIW would knock on there Door or try contacting the installers! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on September 18, 2017, 07:54:13 PM
@ TropherSho i'm a bit confused  :-\  !! thought you had your Kit installed by a shop!!!.
FWIW would knock on there Door or try contacting the installers! Z

I am in contact,. But there a hour away.. and I prefer solving my own issues.   

If I come up without an answer I will take it in but it's a last resort since the tests are pretty straightforward.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

polskifacet

Polskimeth still squirtin strong lol
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

TopherSho

Quote from: polskifacet on September 19, 2017, 12:25:14 PM
Polskimeth still squirtin strong lol

EW!  Pols ... not all over my thread man  :fart: !!   /bad Pols! BAD!/

TopherSho

:P  Snow now includes a check valve in their builds... dang it.  Mine did not come with one.

Whats In The Box:
300 PSI UHO (Ultra High Output) Pump
3 Quart Reservoir
All Tubing Necessary for Installation
20' ¼ Inch High Temp Nylon Tubing
18" High Pressure Boost Line
Adjustable Boost Switch (1-15 PSI)
Pig Tail Harness
Level Sensor Upgrade
>>High Flow Check Valve
2 Hyper-Sonic™ Nozzles
Required Hardware Needed For Installation
Snow Performance Running S Decal
Comprehensive Instructions to Install on Any Forced Induction Vehicle
Snow Performance 1-Year Warranty

SHOdded

Probably would fail anyway at the first sign of 100% meth
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Snow says they support 100% meth...

SHOdded

Of course they do.  Good ole Snow.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

The pump ran ok as a bench test.. used the rental to run jumper cables and applied leads to the pump.  So I put it together back in the car and applied a revised tune based on Brad's input that some of the enrichment readings we're not right. 

Did some test driving and felt some more wierdness initially and after VERY hard driving it seems a little better. 

I will try a full data log tommorow.. I still feel this is a hardware issue that clears after running it hard.

TopherSho

Update:

Made s 'short run' with logging this morning after sitting for 8 hours. (attached)

it seems to have ?settled? (knock on wood)

Changes made:
(1) applied new tune
(2) re-fitted all line fittings ..btw i now HATE push fittings. 
(3) took the boost switch and routed the hose over everything instead of under everything,  theory being to keep fluid out the Boost ref-line.
(4) unplugged and re-plugged the boost switch connectors.

car will sit for 5 hours.. then i will try to re-log it.  before it would sputter (not REALLY sputter) and not fully advance with that long of a off time.  if it doesn't have the issue i have a plan.

-replace push connectors with things the screw in (probably go devils own)
-apply super tiny conductive gel to the pressure switch,  then wrap it against moisture
-probably do the same to the relay
-replace the green led .. it has fully burned out now.. and voltage test it.  hmm i wonder if the led is a 5v led on a 12v circuit..

TopherSho

datalog #3. 

in the last 10 minutes of this log i was in manual mode in gear 2, I would let it coast down to idle speed then punch it up to redline.  in the last 5-6 runs in second i caught the car doing its weird power/spark/throttle bit again.   one of the 2nd gear pull was nigh and day,  no power at all then all the power snapped me back into the seat.

skip the 1st 90% of the log and just look at the back end if your following along. 

i do not think this is a pump issue now... but i still am not sure WHAT the issue is yet.

Note .. it 'seems' this only occurs in manual mode