• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2017 Lincoln MKZ - Limp Mode - Part 2 - DTCs this time.

Started by 14SHOCAR, September 12, 2017, 07:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

I figure I would start a new topic on this issue as I have way more information. This is a continuation of the MKZ saga with my engine going into LIMP mode. In the first part we had an issue where I was leaving my condo with a cold engine, and the car cutout in an intersection -- almost getting myself rear ended.

Issue 1: 6032 Miles
Dealership Fix: They replaced the battery in the car.
Thread 1: https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7644.0.

Part 2 - 14,685.52 miles
I was leaving this morning (cold start) -- 74 degrees. I made it to one stop sign, no problems. Second stop sign, accelerate and my car slams into a low 3rd or 4th, and starts freaking out on the dash. I'd say my acceleration was slow as I was one block away from another stop sign. I got a message of "hill start assistance not available", the airbag light went on, and the service vehicle light came on. (Window washer fluid was actually low)

I also received "See Manual". I shut off the car, restart the car -- its like nothing happened.

So I took the car to the dealership and they actually could grab two codes today --

Powertrain Control Module (P061C) - Internal Control Module Engine RPM Performance
Antilock braking system - (U0401) - Invalid Data Received From ECP/PCM

They are going to take the car next Thursday to take a look at it. Since the car is driving fine, I'm not to worried. I tried full acceleration, partial acceleration, multiple different things to try to emulate the same issue, nothing.

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

14SHOCAR

P061C -- These look fun....

Possible causes
•Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)
•CKP harness is open or shorted
•CKP circuit poor electrical connection
•Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)
•CMP harness is open or shorted
•CMP circuit poor electrical connection
•Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Not so sure about the U0401
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

glock-coma

I believe your dash said see Manuel.... he's the mechanic at the local Lincoln dealer....
All joking aside it sucks your having issues with such a new vehicle.
Any critters that can sneak up into the engine bay in your area? They can wreak havoc on the electrical system sometimes.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Do you have any devices plugged into the OBD port?  Known to sometimes cause funky things to happen (at least on 2010+ MY SHOs).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

There probably going to say it's a Glitch of some sort. Z   :nonono:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

Quote from: SHOdded on September 12, 2017, 10:09:25 PM
Do you have any devices plugged into the OBD port?  Known to sometimes cause funky things to happen (at least on 2010+ MY SHOs).

The port is empty. And from what I can tell, no critters. I have indoor parking...

Apparently Ford platinum support wants to take a closer look...
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

14SHOCAR

10/3/2017 Update - There is NO UPDATE. > : (

I called the dealership given they've had my vehicle since September 21st. Speaking with the service advisor, he said they were not able to reproduce the issue on the vehicle. They also stated that the vehicle had not DTCs to view. I flipped my lid a bit and said "you've had the car for 13 days. The issue originally happened on the 12th. You got the DTCs, printed them off for me, and sent me away. You could have fixed my vehicle right then and there and done more diagnostics! Not doing anything is not a resolution to this issue. You got the codes. Replace the ECU, PCM, something...."

The dealership is going to have the service manager call me back. To see what they can do with the vehicle.

I'm looking back at the total number of days they've had my vehicle and I'm coming up on 30 soon. In Wisconsin 30 is the magic number for the lemon law, or 4 attempts to fix an issue.

SMH this is such a waste of my time and takes away from the whole experience of this MKZ.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

Ramairetransam

i hope you get the lemon law and can get a 3.0 continental instead.
13 Mks Ecoboost

SHOdded

Never thought to hear such bad things about a Lincoln dealership.  Ford, all the time ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

SHOdded

No, not really.  Lincoln really does generally hold its' customer service to higher standards than Ford.

sholxgt

Wife has worked at both a Ford and Lincoln dealer.  Same family, but two different locations.

Even one bad customer review raises eyebrows at corporate Lincoln.  They truly do care about customers.  Wife was in charge of yelp, facebook, google, etc reviews and they made sure to address every customer.

Ford dealers basically get a free pass until their percentages of customer satisfaction get too low.  Ford corporate still cares, but it's not as tightly monitored.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

14SHOCAR

Quote from: sholxgt on October 04, 2017, 01:58:33 PM
Wife has worked at both a Ford and Lincoln dealer.  Same family, but two different locations.

Even one bad customer review raises eyebrows at corporate Lincoln.  They truly do care about customers.  Wife was in charge of yelp, facebook, google, etc reviews and they made sure to address every customer.

Ford dealers basically get a free pass until their percentages of customer satisfaction get too low.  Ford corporate still cares, but it's not as tightly monitored.

I would love to complain to the Lincoln Concierge service, but on most days I cannot get through to an agent. The call gets routed then dropped before I get to someone.

The other problem is the State Mandated Warranty section (lemon law) of the Lincoln warranty manual has an contact of:

Ford Motor Company
Lincoln Concierge
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121

This to me means that I'll be dealing with the parent company. I may stop at another Lincoln dealer to discuss my issue and see if I can get a district manager contact for my car. The longer this goes on, the more frustrated I get with the dealer + Lincoln.

Sorry for the caps but I want to make my point: THIS ISSUE HAS REALLY GIVEN ME A DISTAIN TOWARDS THE LINCOLN BRAND AND TOOK ALWAY ALL EXCITEMENT FOR THE 2017 MKZ 3.0T.

#SteppingDownFromSoapBox

Update 10/11/2017 - Still NO update.
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)

sholxgt

Really sorry for this trouble you're going through.

If it were me, I would probably just quietly fill out the lemon law paperwork and submit.

You'll either get your car back quickly or it will be gone from your life and you can move on.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded