• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Where to get walnut shell service

Started by Primalzer, September 11, 2017, 01:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primalzer

So, after throwing a scope down through the TB, there's some significant buildup in the runners and on top of some of the valves. Now I know that some VW and BMW dealers have experience with it, but those don't seem to be the most economical solution, especially considering they don't know our vehicles.

Any suggestions for finding a shop that may do the service, short of calling them up individually?

Bonus points if you are in the Chicagoland area and know of a place.
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

Primalzer

Called A&L in Palatine, which has some very good reviews and is known in the area for being a quality shop. They do have walnut blasting service, but ONLY on BMW's. They only have the port attachment for the BMW's. He has said he's gotten quite a few calls on EcoBoost's lately, and may look into opening up service to the EcoBoost's. I mentioned that Ford has no fix or service for them, and that their only option is replacement of the head.

ZSHO

FWIW would try to locate a BG shop services near you. Z
https://www.bgprod.com/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I am sure bpd has some names in his arsenal :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 11, 2017, 04:14:34 PM

^+1

I'd PM him.  He visits a number of forums and may miss this posting.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Primalzer

Quote from: ZSHO on September 11, 2017, 04:10:58 PM
FWIW would try to locate a BG shop services near you. Z
https://www.bgprod.com/

I'm likely going to bypass the chemical route, as I'm just afraid of the horror stories. I think I could more easily convince Ford ESP if there was a turbo or cat failure with the walnut shell cleaning than I could with the chemical, if they dug into the intake.

Quote from: SHOdded on September 11, 2017, 04:14:34 PM

What's the full username?

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOw-Me State

I researched the walnut shell blasting (for BMWs) and found the attachment I have here.  Seems like something someone mechanically inclined, and with time, could possibly do.  Haven't seen or heard of anyone tackling this with the Ecoboost yet though.

Would be cool to have an adapter made up or maybe these 3D printer wiz guys could make something so that the shooting and vacuuming of the shells would be less messy.

Just curious if others have seen something like this document!
2011 SHO non-PP, Ingot Silver, 2013 fender vents, all stock (for now).
Future: Tune, 3-bar, new plugs.  Catted DP and exhaust someday.

Primalzer

Quote from: SHOw-Me State on September 11, 2017, 06:19:04 PM
I researched the walnut shell blasting (for BMWs) and found the attachment I have here.  Seems like something someone mechanically inclined, and with time, could possibly do.  Haven't seen or heard of anyone tackling this with the Ecoboost yet though.

Would be cool to have an adapter made up or maybe these 3D printer wiz guys could make something so that the shooting and vacuuming of the shells would be less messy.

Just curious if others have seen something like this document!

Basically without the adapter most shops that have the capability, won't do it.

Here's a question for more technical others, does anyone have the exact dimensions of our intake port? Including the radius of the corners. Have a buddy that works in a machine shop and works their 3D printer and said he'd draw something up on Mastercam and try to make something on the 3D printer out of hard plastic.

Macgyver

Install a Meth kit till the build up is gone. LOL

Primalzer

Quote from: Macgyver on September 12, 2017, 01:02:08 AM
Install a Meth kit till the build up is gone. LOL

Yeah, like the chem, I'm preferring to stay away from the route where the deposits are getting loosened, sucked through the cylinders, into the turbos and cats. At 100K miles, the turbos could be on thin ice (I don't really know the service records or life of the car between 0 and 95K miles, but such is the mystery of buying used.)

Hence my search for the "safe(r)" route.