• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

H&R Springs,Motorcraft,Strut,Shocks Install!!

Started by ZSHO, September 07, 2017, 09:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Awesome, thanks! 

I ordered the 84130's and was twitching that they were incorrect for a while there.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

lamrith

SO quick update so we can keep some of the H&R info in one place.  I have about 500 miles on my H&R's.  Out of the gate it was MUCH harder riding than the PP springs I had in the car (57k miles).  They have softened a bit and I have/had been happy with them. 

Took a trip north to Seattle last weekend. HATED the way the car rode.  As bad as my roads are here, Seattle was a nightmare.  Constantly felt it compressing and bottoming the springs or bump stops.  On I5 heading home the road is cement segments and expansion joints.  At any freeway speeds it was like riding a bucking bronco.  Really broke my heart as I love the way the car looks and it definitely handles better in corners.  I am starting to debate if I want to keep them long term.  I do not mind a firm ride, but the hard bottoming is just very jarring and not enjoyable.  These springs were brand new so I want to give them more time, at least 1k.

Is there maybe a trick or way to shorted the bumptops a hair to increase a bit of the range off motion and maybe ease off some of the hard bottom?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ZSHO

Quote from: lamrith on June 11, 2018, 06:17:58 PM
SO quick update so we can keep some of the H&R info in one place.  I have about 500 miles on my H&R's.  Out of the gate it was MUCH harder riding than the PP springs I had in the car (57k miles).  They have softened a bit and I have/had been happy with them. 

Took a trip north to Seattle last weekend. HATED the way the car rode.  As bad as my roads are here, Seattle was a nightmare.  Constantly felt it compressing and bottoming the springs or bump stops.  On I5 heading home the road is cement segments and expansion joints.  At any freeway speeds it was like riding a bucking bronco.  Really broke my heart as I love the way the car looks and it definitely handles better in corners.  I am starting to debate if I want to keep them long term.  I do not mind a firm ride, but the hard bottoming is just very jarring and not enjoyable.  These springs were brand new so I want to give them more time, at least 1k.

Is there maybe a trick or way to shorted the bumptops a hair to increase a bit of the range off motion and maybe ease off some of the hard bottom?
New Strut mounts installed! Struts-Shocks new! something is a miss!!!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Wider wheels make a difference, maybe?  Doesn't seem to be an issue on bpd's SHO ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

This is classic lowered car ride type of stuff.  I will say the sho on normal roads rides like a dream even lowered, way better than other lowered cars I have been in.  However in some areas (like seattle) the roads are crap and very uneven, 4400#+ vehicle, they just get moving and being lowered I am finding that it is reaching max range of motion.  They do not have potholes, just very uneven pavement.  The car is not pogo'ing like bad struts etc, and they are not leaking or showing any failure signs and were working great before I lowered it.  My simple solution is to not go to Seattle, I am not a fan of the city anyway, rather stay down here in the rural area.

But real world is that I will be going up there sometimes, so going to have to think about what to do.

lamrith

I should clarify, I am not dismissing your helpful comments and tips Z or SHOdded, on the contrary it did make me stop and analyze all the driving and roads I have been on and how the car behaves!  Which is why I do not feel it is a shock/strut issue.

I just know that the section of road that really made for the uncomfortable ride is one that gets ALL cars heaving about.  Every car I have ever driven thru that section of I5 in downtown seattle gets moving up and down.  It is elevated cement freeway with metal expansion joints, and the amount of sag between sections just gets you moving up/down.  For those that boat at all it would be like cruising at max speed on a pretty flat section of water that has low very spread out rollers.  About the time you settle into the bottom you are coming back up and after a few the momentum gets going and yeeeha.  It truly is a crap stretch of road, and the city streets are  cracked, uneven etc as well with all the drainage, and uneven settling of the ground etc.

Thankfully I rarely go up there, maybe once a year.  However this is my DD and I do not want to be thinking in the back of my mind if I can go someplace or if I will have a problem with ground clearance.  I also do haul around hundreds of # of pellets in my trunk a few times a week (today is 320#)  I am going to give it a little bit longer though.  I REALLY wish there was an airbag kit for these cars, lot of $ but it would be the golden ticket.

It helps that I will be getting my mustang back in Dec and have the green light to fully molest it into a sunny day road menace and get my lowered, hotrod fixx.

SHOdded

Didn't think you were being dismissive :)  I think your comments are very much in line with what people should expect from lowered rides.  There is no mod that is purely advantageous, always caveats that need attention paid to.

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on June 12, 2018, 11:37:03 AM
Didn't think you were being dismissive :)  I think your comments are very much in line with what people should expect from lowered rides.  There is no mod that is purely advantageous, always caveats that need attention paid to.
Yes.  I will say that the SHO with H&R rides better than any other lowered car I have been in.  Just might be too much for me still.  I am letting it stay for now though.  Hard to give-up how good it looks right now, makes me smile when I see it!

ZSHO

I think sometimes you need to compromise a bit and in this case the positives outweigh the negatives IMO!  BTW Don't forget its a 4400 pound AWD BEAST !! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Quote from: lamrith on June 12, 2018, 12:52:11 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on June 12, 2018, 11:37:03 AM
Yes.  I will say that the SHO with H&R rides better than any other lowered car I have been in.  Just might be too much for me still.  I am letting it stay for now though.  Hard to give-up how good it looks right now, makes me smile when I see it!
I agree with lamrith 100%.
Looks fantastic but NE Ohio roads are terrible and it's not a pleasant combo.
I'm seriously considering putting the stock springs back on.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Leadfoot

I liked the ride quality and handling of the H&R springs until I changed the shocks and struts to the PP setup. Now the ride is WAY too harsh and rough roads are jarring.
If it's time for new struts and shocks, go with the non PP setup for a much better ride with no loss of handling capability.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

lamrith

Quote from: Leadfoot on June 20, 2018, 10:50:18 AM
I liked the ride quality and handling of the H&R springs until I changed the shocks and struts to the PP setup. Now the ride is WAY too harsh and rough roads are jarring.
If it's time for new struts and shocks, go with the non PP setup for a much better ride with no loss of handling capability.
The new PP setup you installed, does it ride harder all the time every little bump, or just bigger hits?

Did the non PP setup let the car move to point you felt the springs or bumpstops limiting travel?  That is the part of the ride I am having issue with on my install.  The basic rough road surfaces, cracks, and little bumps I do not have any issue with, just the bigger dips and pumps.  dropping off a speed bump for example there is a hard bottom to the suspension travel where you can feel that it just does not have any more range of motion, it is at max travel.

Leadfoot

Quote from: lamrith on June 20, 2018, 01:45:10 PM
Quote from: Leadfoot on June 20, 2018, 10:50:18 AM
The new PP setup you installed, does it ride harder all the time every little bump, or just bigger hits?

Did the non PP setup let the car move to point you felt the springs or bumpstops limiting travel?  That is the part of the ride I am having issue with on my install.  The basic rough road surfaces, cracks, and little bumps I do not have any issue with, just the bigger dips and pumps.  dropping off a speed bump for example there is a hard bottom to the suspension travel where you can feel that it just does not have any more range of motion, it is at max travel.

The PP setup rides harder all the time. The non PP setup was firm but the PP setup is harsh.

The non PP setup never hit the bumpstops, and the PP setup doesn't either but the PP feels like it on big dips like potholes.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

ZSHO

I think the type of tires play a significant role on exactly how the car reacts and feels! 
I have also installed many new suspension components such as Struts-Strut mounts-Shocks -Sway bar end links -Wheel hubs and axle shafts-thrust washers-all @ roughly 64K  Z