• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best electric cut out exhaust?

Started by Gjkrisa, September 07, 2017, 01:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gjkrisa

Hi so i just had an idea to get two electric exhaust cutouts so i can wire it to sport mode... Is there a Best brand or design or cutout motor to look for?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

NoCallNoSHO

I've heard QTP makes nice ones. I'm interested in doing something with my exhaust (downpipes & cutouts) next summer. I'll probably have a summer and winter setup that I can swap out like my wheels. 
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/
2015 SHO nonPP - LMS v11 91 Octane Tune | Intake | Gapped plugs | Thermostat | De-badged | SE "Taurus" Fender badges | Summer & Winter Wheels | Someday Vlogger "My wife doesn't KNO I drive a SHO"

BoostfoSHO

I just got mine installed today. Picked up an eBay kit remote controlled programmed it to the homelink garage door opener buttons. Crossed over to juarez, MX for cheap installation. Total spent was $200 bucks including installation. I haven't ran any wiring to them yet so I don't know what they sound like yet but it was a cheap route just to try it out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

jbrown9999

That looks pretty damned nice!  What's the ground clearance hit from that install?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

BoostfoSHO

They are on level with the OBX downpipes clearance didn't really reduce any more than what is lost with the downpipes.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...

derfdog15

Looks good, and wiring should be pretty simple. However, watch out for the cutouts starting to leak. The major issue I saw regarding electric cutouts (and manual as well, but less likely due to less usage I assume) is that they tend to start to stay partially open over time. This is an issue with the quality brands as time goes on, so is almost surely going to be an issue with the no-name Ebay ones as well.

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: derfdog15 on December 19, 2017, 02:36:21 PM
Looks good, and wiring should be pretty simple. However, watch out for the cutouts starting to leak. The major issue I saw regarding electric cutouts (and manual as well, but less likely due to less usage I assume) is that they tend to start to stay partially open over time. This is an issue with the quality brands as time goes on, so is almost surely going to be an issue with the no-name Ebay ones as well.
Yea Ive figured it they would start leaking and stuff later on. They were pretty cheap so if I ever get tired of them I can cap it or get some quality one to fit in there.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

kpad09

Also the butterfly valve style is more prone to leaking over time then the guillotine style but quite a bit more money. I plan to do this with my downpipes this summer and spent the extra on the guillotine style, they cost me $600 CAD.
2014 Taurus SHO non PP, 3Bar Map, 6510 NGK's gapped to .30, 170 degree thermo

lamrith

Neat idea with wiring to the sport mode.  But honestly I can tell you there are going to be times you want to run around in sport mode without the extra noise.

Lots of people have programmed them to the Homelink buttons on your visor.  Simple, lot less wiring to mess with and gives you much more flexibility of when to use the cutouts and when not.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

BoostfoSHO

Quote from: lamrith on January 03, 2018, 12:30:42 PM
Neat idea with wiring to the sport mode.  But honestly I can tell you there are going to be times you want to run around in sport mode without the extra noise.

Lots of people have programmed them to the Homelink buttons on your visor.  Simple, lot less wiring to mess with and gives you much more flexibility of when to use the cutouts and when not.
Yea I'd hate to have them in sport mode. I honestly don't use them that much but it's nice to have them a button away. I like my ride quiet but it can be loud if I'm in the mood.

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
For now...

CCXVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR26FMKCxU4

This is mine with the no-name cutouts.  Definitely some leak, but not terrible.

jbrown9999

That's pretty damned sweet.  So, we have emissions but no visual inspection in UT.  Wonder if I could get away with putting this in when i do downpipes.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

65BBODY

How do you wire them to your home link visor button???
Never seen that done before, that's very slick!

How are these holding up since I know this is an older post... ?

I'm ready to buy cut outs for mine like ASAP, just don't know what I should get and where exactly to install them either.

I can't do it myself anyway so I'll likely have a shop do the install but wouldn't mind trying to take care of as much of the wiring as I could on my own ESPECIALLY if I can get schooled on how to write to the visor home link button..  = super cool idea.

Thanks in advance!