• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 MKT AWD - PTU fluid way nicer than expected!

Started by billy_ocean, September 06, 2017, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy_ocean

Hi y'all, new here, but figured you would get a kick out of my experience today.

I just picked up a MKT EcoBoost with over 100,000 miles last week.  Took it to the local Lincoln dealer today to get all the fluids changed, and based on all the threads here, talked the service advisor into changing the fluid in the PTU.  Of course they don't have a standard code for that, but after talking to his tech, he figured something out.

I asked to see the old fluid, or sludge as I called it, and he obliged.  I'll be darned if the fluid looked brand new!  I could see through it, and it still had a faint pinkness to it.  (I'm kicking myself for not snapping a pic, sorry!)  I give it a small chance the previous owner had it changed, as he got service at local lube shop close to his house.

But no metal, no blackness, it looked fresh!  100,000 miles!  Just wanted to throw it out there as a data point.

SHOdded

Great to hear!  The MKT was driven primarily highway apparently, which is where the PTU can "relax".  Also very likely the fluid was changed, as it at least would have darkened over time if not sludged.  I don't know why there would be a trace of pink other than trans fluid :o in there.

Good on ya to convince the dealership to do the R&R, hope for smooth sailing :thumb:  No seals going, no vents overflowing, nothing!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

billy_ocean

definitely highway miles.  pretty sure it was a company car for an executive.  (it's not the limo version.)

yea, just crazy to me that someone else would go through the trouble of changing it, but definitely possible.  also, maybe it was orange-ish, not pink.  i was just so surprised it wasn't dark!

based on recommendations here, probably still going to change it again in another 30,000 miles.

glock-coma

Welcome to the forum!!
Good idea getting fluids swapped  on a new purchase., you never know how long they've been in there.
Ford 75w140 has a slight yellow tint to it.
Hopefully someone didn't fill it with trans fluid....
Definitely sounds like someone serviced recently.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

sholxgt

Pink?  I suspect they showed you the transmission fluid.  Hope they really changed the PTU fluid.

Seems to vary dealer to dealer.  Dealers that service the police sedans and suv's are used to doing PTU services.  I believe they are recommended service item on police models.  The dealership my wife used to work for services PTU's daily as they have the county contract to service the local PD cars.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2017, 06:17:03 PM
Great to hear!  The MKT was driven primarily highway apparently, which is where the PTU can "relax".

Can you go into a little more detail about this since i've never heard this before?

Quote from: sholxgt on September 07, 2017, 08:04:04 AM
Pink?  I suspect they showed you the transmission fluid.  Hope they really changed the PTU fluid.

I was just about to say that... 

SHOdded

Highway miles are not city miles, a lot of steady cruising, good airflow to the undercarriage to help keep temps down, etc.  So the PTU benefits from that.  In city and rush-hour driving, there is literally nothing to cool the PTU.  That's what I meant.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on September 07, 2017, 04:12:38 PM
Highway miles are not city miles, a lot of steady cruising, good airflow to the undercarriage to help keep temps down, etc.  So the PTU benefits from that.  In city and rush-hour driving, there is literally nothing to cool the PTU.  That's what I meant.

Makes sense