• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best oil filter

Started by avidmotion, August 28, 2017, 02:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather

SHOdded

The specs look great on paper, but the fact remains, based on my own testing on the Edge, only the Motorcraft filter has never caused a startup rattle.  There is no doubt the extended life filters have a lot going for them, but I would rather have to change a MC filter twice during an extended OCI than go with another brand even though I very much want to.

Tested:  motorcraft, k&n, mobil1 ep, amsoil.  Have not tested rp yet, on my list.  Also on my list is aFe, since they have a larger capacity version of the filter for my Edge.

Never had a startup rattle till i tried a non-motorcraft filter.  Even the new Purolator Boss may not be immune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Night Hawk

Thats really weird, I had the exact opposite experience. I was using my usual Motorcraft filter and started getting the startup rattle, switched to the mobil-1 never to be heard from again.  The mobil filters are kind of old school with super heavy metal casing, I picked one up for the first time and was like Holy Sh*t!
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather

SHOdded

Yup they got HEFT LOL.  Well if it solves the problem for your SHO, then stick with it!  glock at one time was using Fram Extra Guard (?) and said it worked out.  Don't know if that is still the case.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: SHOdded on August 28, 2017, 05:36:15 PM
The specs look great on paper, but the fact remains, based on my own testing on the Edge, only the Motorcraft filter has never caused a startup rattle.  There is no doubt the extended life filters have a lot going for them, but I would rather have to change a MC filter twice during an extended OCI than go with another brand even though I very much want to.

Tested:  motorcraft, k&n, mobil1 ep, amsoil.  Have not tested rp yet, on my list.  Also on my list is aFe, since they have a larger capacity version of the filter for my Edge.

Never had a startup rattle till i tried a non-motorcraft filter.  Even the new Purolator Boss may not be immune.
I'm going to give the boss a try. Been running the amsoil filters since I bought my sho. Great filtration, but rattles often at a cold startup with 5w30 (with 5w20, cold start rattle is very rare). I like the Pure Boss filters. I Run them on other vehicles. Gonna swap my amsoil filter for 1 this weekend to try. I'm only 2k into the oil change. The rattle was just something I grew to expect.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Primalzer

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2017, 08:02:42 AM
You are talking about the anti drain back valve...many filters have that now.

There are better oils than motorcraft ,better parts, better catch cans, better wheels better stereo and speakers

Whoever makes that filter for ford likely gave the lowest bid...that stock filter is not special...the best attribute of the motorcraft filter is the price ford pays

I've owned a dozen Ford's and used MC filters on all of them, and you are actually the first person I've seen to not recommend the MC filters. They are known to be the best bang for your buck on the market. They are definitely not the best filter you can find, but at it's price point, nothing is going to touch it. Plus being OEM helps if there ever were to be warranty claims.

In my experience, the MC's and Purolator's are also eerily similar, and independent tests have shown they are also very similar (like Purolator manufacturers them...) Plus all anti-drain back valves are not equal. MC uses a quality silicone anti drain back, and I think you'd be hardpressed to find one with equal quality for the price.
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

glock-coma

I'm trying something new next oil change.
Wix XP
p/n 57502XP

good specs and wix is pretty well regarded in general. 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

good luck, hope it is a positive experience!

Purolator Boss PBL22500 for those who want to try it.

mrhighcaliber

Quote from: SHOdded on September 07, 2017, 04:17:00 PM
good luck, hope it is a positive experience!

Purolator Boss PBL22500 for those who want to try it.
Just put 1 on a few days ago. Cold start Rattle still present. But seems shorter? I'm also wondering if the cold rattle could be the hpfp. Experimenting will be fun

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Davidsiebert2

I have had best luck with K&N . Least amount of chatter after long sit times and when watching videos of all filters cut open the k&N had the best quality media/parts was very disappointing to see some of the other filters cut open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

autobahn terror

Quote from: Davidsiebert2 on February 08, 2019, 08:28:50 AM
I have had best luck with K&N . Least amount of chatter after long sit times and when watching videos of all filters cut open the k&N had the best quality media/parts was very disappointing to see some of the other filters cut open.

100% Agree. I wonder it the cheaper oil filters with less filter medium is just letting the oil into the motor fast/easier causing startup rattle to dissipate quicker. What weight oil is everyone using in the winter months... A huge consideration considering some of the cold oil liquidity tests ive seen...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Davidsiebert2

I've always been using 5w30 Mobil 1 .
If I could find amsoil I would use that but not easy to find in my area

802SHO

Quote from: Davidsiebert2 on February 08, 2019, 08:28:50 AM

I'm currently using a K&N filter.  I only put 500 miles on my car or less since switching to it and storing my car.  I have moved my car outside a few times, leaving it overnight in subzero weather and I did notice there was no chatter on start up.  I doubt it is completely eliminated but I was impressed by that.  Of course it is a much more expensive filter but I agree that its ...at this point...worth it.  I'm happy with it.

Previously I usually always go with the motorcraft filter as it seems the best for quiter cold starts(chatter) than WIX and FRAM.  At least in my experience WIX was the worst for chatter. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20