• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best oil filter

Started by avidmotion, August 28, 2017, 02:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidmotion

I am looking for suggestions on a quality oil filter for my car. I am not looking for a war, just some suggestions specifically for a hard run SHO Ecoboost twin turbo tuned vehicle. I have decided on Castrol 5w-30 Magnatec with 5000 mile change interval. My manual highly recommended the MC FL500S, not because of better filtration but because the EcoBoost motor is sensitive to oil filter, non fl500s filters can cause hard or slow cold starts, start up noises and ticks. I believe it has something to do with the "relief valve" and not the filtration. Regardless I want the best this list suggests for my car. Thanks for any help or suggestions
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

Motorcraft is the optimal filter for your Ford vehicle, regardless.  UNLESS you go for extended OCIs and do not change the filter in between.  THEN you need the extended life filters such as from Mobil1, Purolator, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

No worries about a war !! I think you pretty much summed it up above and go with the Motorcraft Fl -500s oil filter. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

You are talking about the anti drain back valve...many filters have that now.

There are better oils than motorcraft ,better parts, better catch cans, better wheels better stereo and speakers

Whoever makes that filter for ford likely gave the lowest bid...that stock filter is not special...the best attribute of the motorcraft filter is the price ford pays
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

bpd1151

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2017, 08:02:42 AM
You are talking about the anti drain back valve...many filters have that now.

There are better oils than motorcraft ,better parts, better catch cans, better wheels better stereo and speakers

Whoever makes that filter for ford likely gave the lowest bid...that stock filter is not special...the best attribute of the motorcraft filter is the price ford pays
Well articulated there Bradley. +1 million

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

I stand by my filter recommendations.  MC is an optimal choice for 5k OCIs.  Even nonFord owners prefer them.

Oils yes you can do better, but the mc oils are not bad ... For 5k normal use.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I wonder if Ford would void your precious warranty!!!
Here's a Pdf for comparison. Z 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiVWhxWWRpN3RDS1U/view?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on August 28, 2017, 08:20:44 AM

That would be highly illegal , dont scare avid lol

Looks like much to do about nothing...something tells me the nitrile seal only gets brittle after extended use that even the mfg of the filters that  that material would say is too long...so for normal use i find it hard to believe the nitrile is not adequate...you mean many of the filter companies got it wrong lol?

And i like how motorcraft says that 50 flutes offer easier removal lol...most of the filters that are 15 flutes ate standard cap sizes so your average set of filter cap wrenches will fit...you are stuck using a strap wrench or filter pliars for motorcraft 

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2017, 08:34:42 AM

Looks like much to do about nothing...something tells me the nitrile seal only gets brittle after extended use that even the mfg of the filters that  that material would say is too long...so for normal use i find it hard to believe the nitrile is not adequate...you mean many of the filter companies got it wrong lol?

And i like how motorcraft says that 50 flutes offer easier removal lol...most of the filters that are 15 flutes ate standard cap sizes so your average set of filter cap wrenches will fit...you are stuck using a strap wrench or filter pliars for motorcraft
I was simply advising precaution against any aftermarket part that's all !!

I wonder what the outcome would be if you had a timing chain rattle in conjunction with a after aftermarket oil filter under warranty!!.
To the OP best of luck.  Z

pmezo33

My MKS has 145k miles on it and my previous MKZ had 185k miles.  Always used motorcraft (filters) and never had a single oil related issue ever with either car.

Motorcraft filters are the way to go for these cars.

AJP turbo

Quote from: ZSHO on August 28, 2017, 11:24:04 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2017, 08:34:42 AM

I was simply advising precaution against any aftermarket part that's all !!

I wonder what the outcome would be if you had a timing chain rattle in conjunction with a after aftermarket oil filter under warranty!!.
To the OP best of luck.  Z

Nothing...most of the time ford just says its normal because tens of thousands of fords do that

It would be like them saying that sunoco gas is not acceptable but exxon is

Motorcraft filters are NOT an essential variabl....but they are acceptable

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

avidmotion

After reading the various forums on oil filter suggestions,  and since I change at 5,000 or before AND am under warranty with a current turbo leak and P0430 SES light that comes back on after 50 miles, I will stay with the manuals suggested MC FL500S,  and be happy. Especially after that wonderful PDf of the MC filter breakdown, why not? (Not really a question that needs to be answered)
Thanks for all the help!
BTW on the SHO forum they mention the anti drain back valve keeps constant pressure or something on the timing chain tensioner for longevity over time. And I don't want to mess with that! Ha ha
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ZSHO

haunter

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2017, 08:02:42 AM

depends, the OEM filter for my minivan is made by WIX, so I usually buy OEM for it.
13 SHO PP - 170 T-Stat, Sp-534's, 3Bar MAF, Unleashed Tune

Night Hawk

Used to use the motor craft filter religiously, then did some research and have used a Mobil-1 ever since.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93