• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mdesign Snout Warped - Sent it back, Waiting on a response

Started by irondoor19, August 24, 2017, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

If anyone comes out of this whole ordeal with an extra snout, be it fully functional or easily repairable, I'd be interested in purchasing it from ya. Hope everyone gets taken care of
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on September 29, 2017, 11:53:10 AM
If anyone comes out of this whole ordeal with an extra snout, be it fully functional or easily repairable, I'd be interested in purchasing it from ya. Hope everyone gets taken care of

Seriously, the snout is like the only thing you'd need in order to easily build your own custom intake.  Other than the snout you could buy everything you need at home depot and Autozone.  If they would sell the snout by itself, I would do that in a heartbeat to try and build something myself.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Blackhawk

Just a quick update, I received a tracking number.  So happy to get this resolved and get it back on the car.

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Agentlongwood on September 29, 2017, 03:19:46 PM

Seriously, the snout is like the only thing you'd need in order to easily build your own custom intake.  Other than the snout you could buy everything you need at home depot and Autozone.  If they would sell the snout by itself, I would do that in a heartbeat to try and build something myself.
exactly. That's what i'm trying to do. Design my own and even improve on the design if possible. Pretty sure Mdesign just fabs these cheapo ebay kits to be bolt on applications anyway. then gives crap customer service when the one custom piece they build sh!ts the bed. LOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3-Filter-Box-Title-Carbon-Fiber-Induction-Ram-Cold-Air-Intake-System-/371977252343?hash=item569b926df7:g:CXgAAOSwXetZOl0Q&vxp=mtr
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

ZSHO

Progress of any kind is always welcomed.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

14SHOCAR

For those of you who ordered your parts on Amazon -- PLEASE provide reviews of the intake system. Amazon reviews are taken seriously, and will save a ton of people a lot of headache. I have an amazon business myself (not related to cars), and I appreciate when people weed out the bad apples. Just some food for thought.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

Macgyver

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on October 03, 2017, 11:17:28 AM
Quote from: Agentlongwood on September 29, 2017, 03:19:46 PM

exactly. That's what i'm trying to do. Design my own and even improve on the design if possible. Pretty sure Mdesign just fabs these cheapo ebay kits to be bolt on applications anyway. then gives crap customer service when the one custom piece they build sh!ts the bed. LOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-3-Filter-Box-Title-Carbon-Fiber-Induction-Ram-Cold-Air-Intake-System-/371977252343?hash=item569b926df7:g:CXgAAOSwXetZOl0Q&vxp=mtr

Well the reviews here in these forums of this $250 intake show it with no power gains per say and some IAT lowering. So this $26 ebay kit could do the same thing. lol

Agentlongwood

Quote from: Macgyver on October 03, 2017, 11:06:56 PM
Well the reviews here in these forums of this $250 intake show it with no power gains per say and some IAT lowering. So this $26 ebay kit could do the same thing. lol

I'd build my own just for the sake of not having to remove it to get to the trans dip stick.  Beyond that, the sound is an added bonus.  If I could build it for cheap and easy, I would in a heart beat.  But $300 for zero added horsepower?  I'm not a mathematician but that sounds like a bad HP per dollar ratio.

irondoor19

Quote from: derfdog15 on September 29, 2017, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: irondoor19 on September 29, 2017, 10:23:42 AM
SO i got the 2ND snout, and low and behold,
NO grommets or Metal inserts like the New First One
NOT A BIG DEAl, will i say something to them.. NO WAY
I will figure it out myself....

Why wouldn't you bust their balls at this point? They had not one, but TWO, failures on vehicles you own, and they replacements differ? Seems like if there was a revision, you got a revised part previously, and they sent you an old stock, non-revised part as the second (which is a garbage thing to do, and likely will fail again). So why not bust their balls now, to get a proper revised part, in hopes of avoiding another failure and the whole ordeal again?
OK:

the situation is as follows:
In both cases (New Snout) was received, the First one had grommets and Metal inserts
The second one (Still new Design had no grommets and no Inserts) I believe Mdesign has
attempted to fix a design Flaw, the grommets and inserts are there to isolate the snout from
being hard fixed to the front of the car. the Material thickness is still a Question Mark less than 1/16"
for the actual overall thickness of the Oval to the square...NOW the bracket thickness has improved
along with the extra bracing of that bracket...ALSo has the actual material Changed (DO NOT KNOW)

To respond to the other comments: there is no hard evidence to prove that
there is no horsepower advantage or lack there of. Also the heat soak experiment
did not include the Mdesign in that test. SO the jury is still out... YES i will be sending MDesign
a Email to voice My Displeasure with the Time and effort it took to get them to respond, and am i looking at building my own transition (fabricator is looking at it now): YES I AM,...

First Pic: Second Snout received W/O Grommets
Second Pic: First Snout received with Grommets
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

J-Will

Quote from: Agentlongwood on October 04, 2017, 12:02:19 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on October 03, 2017, 11:06:56 PM

I'd build my own just for the sake of not having to remove it to get to the trans dip stick.  Beyond that, the sound is an added bonus.  If I could build it for cheap and easy, I would in a heart beat.  But $300 for zero added horsepower?  I'm not a mathematician but that sounds like a bad HP per dollar ratio.
If you're going to do something 'just for' whatever reason, than pulling out math skills to complain about price per performance doesn't make sense.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Agentlongwood

Quote from: J-Will on October 04, 2017, 12:07:48 PM
If you're going to do something 'just for' whatever reason, than pulling out math skills to complain about price per performance doesn't make sense.

Yes, that's the whole joke.  You don't actually need much in the way of "math skills" to know a ratio of zero hp/dollar, is a waste of money lol.  So why pay $300 if we could buy the snout alone and build the rest?  You gain no power either way, so why spend the extra money?  For example, I'd pay 50 bucks for cool sounds and easier trans access. For $300 however, it had better do that PLUS add some tangible performance benefit. Sorry if that was ambiguous in the earlier post.

J-Will

Quote from: Agentlongwood on October 04, 2017, 03:39:01 PM
Quote from: J-Will on October 04, 2017, 12:07:48 PM

Yes, that's the whole joke.  You don't actually need much in the way of "math skills" to know a ratio of zero hp/dollar, is a waste of money lol.  So why pay $300 if we could buy the snout alone and build the rest?  You gain no power either way, so why spend the extra money?  For example, I'd pay 50 bucks for cool sounds and easier trans access. For $300 however, it had better do that PLUS add some tangible performance benefit. Sorry if that was ambiguous in the earlier post.
No, I got it. My point was that you said you would do it 'just for' the sake of not having to remove it to get to the trans dip stick. So what does any other non-dipstick related ratio matter?

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Agentlongwood

Quote from: J-Will on October 04, 2017, 03:41:15 PM
No, I got it. My point was that you said you would do it 'just for' the sake of not having to remove it to get to the trans dip stick. So what does any other non-dipstick related ratio matter?

Gotcha.  It only matters because of price.  At $50 it may be worth it.  At $300 it's way harder to justify doing it "just for" dipstick access. 

Blackhawk

I know the instructions for mine(early 2016) had me transfer the grommets/inserts from my stock intake and I moved them back when I put the stock intake back on.  Maybe the newer version has better ones but it always used some form of grommet and insert, hopefully MDesign can chime in.  My new snout comes tomorrow, I'll see if it has them.

Quote from: irondoor19 on October 04, 2017, 11:43:14 AM
Quote from: derfdog15 on September 29, 2017, 10:28:47 AM
Quote from: irondoor19 on September 29, 2017, 10:23:42 AM
SO i got the 2ND snout, and low and behold,
NO grommets or Metal inserts like the New First One
NOT A BIG DEAl, will i say something to them.. NO WAY
I will figure it out myself....

Why wouldn't you bust their balls at this point? They had not one, but TWO, failures on vehicles you own, and they replacements differ? Seems like if there was a revision, you got a revised part previously, and they sent you an old stock, non-revised part as the second (which is a garbage thing to do, and likely will fail again). So why not bust their balls now, to get a proper revised part, in hopes of avoiding another failure and the whole ordeal again?
OK:

the situation is as follows:
In both cases (New Snout) was received, the First one had grommets and Metal inserts
The second one (Still new Design had no grommets and no Inserts) I believe Mdesign has
attempted to fix a design Flaw, the grommets and inserts are there to isolate the snout from
being hard fixed to the front of the car. the Material thickness is still a Question Mark less than 1/16"
for the actual overall thickness of the Oval to the square...NOW the bracket thickness has improved
along with the extra bracing of that bracket...ALSo has the actual material Changed (DO NOT KNOW)

To respond to the other comments: there is no hard evidence to prove that
there is no horsepower advantage or lack there of. Also the heat soak experiment
did not include the Mdesign in that test. SO the jury is still out... YES i will be sending MDesign
a Email to voice My Displeasure with the Time and effort it took to get them to respond, and am i looking at building my own transition (fabricator is looking at it now): YES I AM,...

First Pic: Second Snout received W/O Grommets
Second Pic: First Snout received with Grommets