• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mdesign Snout Warped - Sent it back, Waiting on a response

Started by irondoor19, August 24, 2017, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

Quote from: Blackhawk on September 05, 2017, 11:48:07 AM
Based on your last pic it would seem that engine flex might be what's really putting all the pressure on the snout.

Quote from: irondoor19 on September 05, 2017, 11:35:48 AM
yes:

there is a crack there, @ the hole, But that is not what broke off
the actual round flange, that attaches to the filter is completely gone

We were thinking about that as well,
When we put the Motor In we changed all the Engine Struts as well
the actual Material thickness for the Brace is like an 1/8", the snout,
and transition to round is Quite Thin (in My Opinion)

Here is a pic that shows a sliver of the Material where it cracked
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

irondoor19

Quote from: Blackhawk on September 05, 2017, 11:17:36 AM
Did your original snout have the reinforcing on the tabs that bolt to the car?  I don't see that on mine. 
EDIT nevermind, that's the bottom.

Quote from: irondoor19 on September 05, 2017, 10:55:34 AM
I sent this as a New Email to Mdesign @ 10.50 AM today

Sales and Warranty:

I am also the guy that sent you the warped snout via reg mail, and waiting on your response for that.
Not a big fan of your response about over tightening as the cause of all of our issues, and as your
product is more expensive than all the others, we expect the quality and customer service to be ON POINT

I am the original owner of 2 of your intakes for the SHO,s

We are going to get this Strait from the GETGo. NEW Motor, ATP Turbos and a bunch of other goodies
New motor Completed in June,
AND have only been to one other track and this one, This car is driven to and from the Track only

Went to the Track, Ran One Run.. 12.8, Second Run 13.1,

felt like i ran over something on the track with the Drivers Rear tire
we Think WE know right away we have a Heat Soak Problem, SOO looking for anything wrong:

Found the Snout cracked @ the connection to the flex hose, and the part that was cracked off is gone
AND NO we did not over tighten the clamp, looking at the material thickness (my expert opinion it is too thin)
the Tech that works on my car is a master Mech., (he did the entire motor swap ETC)

I want to get another Snout ASAP, Meaning i will pay for one, i do not want to wait,
for ever going back and forth with you guys, if you want to warranty this thing great,
but i would like a response today...if warranty i will send it back 2 Day Priority today...
if i get a response from you by 2.00 PM Today, if i have to pay that is great too, However
We will be rethinking the validity of this design, and looking at other options. ......

We are awaiting their response....

"Actual thickness of this part just over 1/16"   .070"
here is the original Picture of the Warped Snout Sent to Mdesign
cannot tell if it had the additional support....

ZSHO

FWIW lets give MDesign the benefit of the doubt and lets see if they respond accordingly to any such claims. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

irondoor19

Got a response on the first snout:

Hello James,

Thank you for contacting us.

After inspecting your replacement scoop it seems that the cold air intake system was putting force upon the air inlet scoop which caused it to warp under stress. A replacement inlet air scoop was sent out by USPS Priority Mail with the tracking number: "removed"

Once this replacement air inlet scoop arrives we suggest you recheck your silicone couplers and take up any slack that there may be in order to decrease pressure off the inlet air scoop. The silicone couplers on the carbon fiber charge pipe which contains the air sensor should be inserted all the way onto the carbon fiber charge pipe to the point where the silicone couplers are touching the rubber grommet. This should take up the necessary slack and relieve stress off of the inlet air scoop.

We thank you for your support and patronage.

All the best,

MDesign Performance

"they did not address the second one in any way"

WickedSHO

I am interested in how all this plays out. I am currently running one of their early design CAI.
2014 SHO Ignot Silver. MDesign CF Intake, 3 BAR MAP, 160 T-Stat, LMS 93 OCT V8 tune.

firewater88

Quote from: irondoor19 on September 06, 2017, 10:31:15 AM
Got a response on the first snout:

Hello James,

Thank you for contacting us.

After inspecting your replacement scoop it seems that the cold air intake system was putting force upon the air inlet scoop which caused it to warp under stress. A replacement inlet air scoop was sent out by USPS Priority Mail with the tracking number: "removed"

Once this replacement air inlet scoop arrives we suggest you recheck your silicone couplers and take up any slack that there may be in order to decrease pressure off the inlet air scoop. The silicone couplers on the carbon fiber charge pipe which contains the air sensor should be inserted all the way onto the carbon fiber charge pipe to the point where the silicone couplers are touching the rubber grommet. This should take up the necessary slack and relieve stress off of the inlet air scoop.

We thank you for your support and patronage.

All the best,

MDesign Performance

"they did not address the second one in any way"

At least you got a response...
2011 Flex Titanium EB
Retired- 1992 SHO

irondoor19

Well:

that addresses the first warped one (6 Plus Weeks)

Here is my response to there response:

"Thanks in advance for this, HOW ABOUT the Second Snout....

What do I need to do to get a Second One for my other system

that is detailed in the above email... thanks in advance"

Now will see how long it takes for the second one.....

SHOdded

Give 'em time.  1st one's done, 2nd one should go a bit faster :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2017, 12:23:54 PM
Give 'em time.  1st one's done, 2nd one should go a bit faster :)

I am trying to be a Glass Half Full Guy (in my old age) AND We will See....

irondoor19

OMG.... I got the first New replacement Snout from Mdesign,
Low and behold a redesign: with Rubber and Steel Inserts to Isolate
the thing from the Air Inlet of the CAR... GREAT and welcome update

Thanks Mdesign,

and I hope to get the Second bad one in the near future (like Christmas)  :-[

ZSHO

Thats great to hear there's progress in the works!!! hoping the new revised part is more structurally sound against the heat and elements considering the price tag of a new intake. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jbrown9999

Well, I might go ahead and order mine now.  I've been waiting.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

Macgyver

That thing looks much better. Yet they say its how you install it ?.......

At least they updated a problem part.

ZSHO

FWIW here are the two for comparison.  Z
Pic's(Courtesy)of irondoor19:)
This new Snorkel appears to be seamless!!!!!!!!!. Z  :o

Previous version snout

Updated version snout

irondoor19

UPDATE ON THE SECOND SNOUT W MDESIGN:.... NOT A PEEP SINCE SEPT 6, I sent this today:

OK :

2 weeks have gone by...

So this issue with the second Snout NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

DATE OF MFG: 4/18/15, S/N X 1023H, I want to get another one,

EVEN if I have to pay for it,

I CAN ALSO SEND THE SECOND ONE BACK...

PLEASE RESPOND. I am TRYING to patient......