• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Mdesign Snout Warped - Sent it back, Waiting on a response

Started by irondoor19, August 24, 2017, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Thank you for openly responding in this forum, I hope this will continue and that notifications from our forum will no longer land in the MDesign spam folder :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

By the way the second snout
Failed at the track after the first run, so
2 snouts, 2 failures, and we now know that the
The suction of the air filter caused this snout
To collapse ... So I will be sending it back the correct
Way... We have looked in detail, and will be
Detailing the failure... And the clamp was not  over tightened
I will also report back to the forum....
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

Night Hawk

In contact with them today, look forward to bolting up a replacement.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

irondoor19

Out of nearly a thousand and counting systems the failure on the air inlet scoop for the 3.5L EcoBoost accounts to less than 1% of systems. The failure on all of these inlet air scoops are due to over-torqueing of the stainless steel clamps. Stainless steel is of course stronger than ABS therefore when over-torquing the clamps the plastic piece will buckle and/or crack, which is the reason for the failed inlet air scoops. This has nothing to do with the design or style of the system as this issue is an isolated issue. These clamp do not need to be torqued more than hand-tight or sightly snug, and when this is not followed as instructed in the installation instruction and by the warning label on the actual packaging of the stainless steel claps, the issue reported occurs.

The FIRST Snout I sent back WAS NOT Cracked, It was warped due to Excessive Heat (and Maybe the
wrong Material being used)

The delay in your warranty processing of your air inlet scoop is due to the fact that your package could not be delivered as sent out. We had to go to our local post office as of recently to inquire and found the issue was due to the fact the package was incorrectly shipped with postage stamps rather than a proper label and locating the package was difficult as it had no tracking number associated with the package. After locating the package there was a balance on the package due to the incorrectly usage of stamps as postage rather than a proper label. You should be receiving an email shortly regarding the replacement of your inlet air scoop.

"I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE MAILING ISSUE"
however you guys are quite slow to respond,
as i can pull the Email String and count the many Emails,
and repeat emails that leave me feeling like "a red Headed Stepchild"

I will also send my concerns as to my & my Master Tech's veiwpoint to Mdesign as Well

SHOdded

Lets hope with our collective brainstorming we can figure out the root cause of the smoted snouts.  Material or maybe just plain thickness of the material.  The design seems to work great.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Blackhawk

ZSHO

I hope Chris and the whole customer service department at MDesign Performance stay on Top of the emails and address any such concerns promptly. Z

For any future questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at: sales@mdesignperformance.com

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FearlessAZ

I really don't believe the warping was due to improper tightening of the bolts. If you saw pictures of how mine looked, I couldn't even begin to come up with an excuse to show that tightening caused that...And I am a grade A bullshitter.

However, I could come up with 10 different reasons of how that looks to be a heat problem.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

Blackhawk

Yeah, I know I snugged mine until the pipe was no longer able to move around and no more.  Had turbo cars for years and know well enough not to over tighten clamps.

irondoor19

I sent this as a New Email to Mdesign @ 10.50 AM today

Sales and Warranty:

I am also the guy that sent you the warped snout via reg mail, and waiting on your response for that.
Not a big fan of your response about over tightening as the cause of all of our issues, and as your
product is more expensive than all the others, we expect the quality and customer service to be ON POINT

I am the original owner of 2 of your intakes for the SHO,s

We are going to get this Strait from the GETGo. NEW Motor, ATP Turbos and a bunch of other goodies
New motor Completed in June,
AND have only been to one other track and this one, This car is driven to and from the Track only

Went to the Track, Ran One Run.. 12.8, Second Run 13.1,

felt like i ran over something on the track with the Drivers Rear tire
we Think WE know right away we have a Heat Soak Problem, SOO looking for anything wrong:

Found the Snout cracked @ the connection to the flex hose, and the part that was cracked off is gone
AND NO we did not over tighten the clamp, looking at the material thickness (my expert opinion it is too thin)
the Tech that works on my car is a master Mech., (he did the entire motor swap ETC)

I want to get another Snout ASAP, Meaning i will pay for one, i do not want to wait,
for ever going back and forth with you guys, if you want to warranty this thing great,
but i would like a response today...if warranty i will send it back 2 Day Priority today...
if i get a response from you by 2.00 PM Today, if i have to pay that is great too, However
We will be rethinking the validity of this design, and looking at other options. ......

We are awaiting their response....

"Actual thickness of this part just over 1/16"   .070"

Blackhawk

Did your original snout have the reinforcing on the tabs that bolt to the car?  I don't see that on mine. 
EDIT nevermind, that's the bottom.

Quote from: irondoor19 on September 05, 2017, 10:55:34 AM
I sent this as a New Email to Mdesign @ 10.50 AM today

Sales and Warranty:

I am also the guy that sent you the warped snout via reg mail, and waiting on your response for that.
Not a big fan of your response about over tightening as the cause of all of our issues, and as your
product is more expensive than all the others, we expect the quality and customer service to be ON POINT

I am the original owner of 2 of your intakes for the SHO,s

We are going to get this Strait from the GETGo. NEW Motor, ATP Turbos and a bunch of other goodies
New motor Completed in June,
AND have only been to one other track and this one, This car is driven to and from the Track only

Went to the Track, Ran One Run.. 12.8, Second Run 13.1,

felt like i ran over something on the track with the Drivers Rear tire
we Think WE know right away we have a Heat Soak Problem, SOO looking for anything wrong:

Found the Snout cracked @ the connection to the flex hose, and the part that was cracked off is gone
AND NO we did not over tighten the clamp, looking at the material thickness (my expert opinion it is too thin)
the Tech that works on my car is a master Mech., (he did the entire motor swap ETC)

I want to get another Snout ASAP, Meaning i will pay for one, i do not want to wait,
for ever going back and forth with you guys, if you want to warranty this thing great,
but i would like a response today...if warranty i will send it back 2 Day Priority today...
if i get a response from you by 2.00 PM Today, if i have to pay that is great too, However
We will be rethinking the validity of this design, and looking at other options. ......

We are awaiting their response....

"Actual thickness of this part just over 1/16"   .070"

ZSHO

I like to be fair but based on the Pics above there seems to be a ridge,seam on the left side of the snorkel in Red correct? Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

bpd1151

And the endless saga drags on.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

irondoor19

yes:

there is a crack there, @ the hole, But that is not what broke off
the actual round flange, that attaches to the filter is completely gone

Blackhawk

Based on your last pic it would seem that engine flex might be what's really putting all the pressure on the snout.

Quote from: irondoor19 on September 05, 2017, 11:35:48 AM
yes:

there is a crack there, @ the hole, But that is not what broke off
the actual round flange, that attaches to the filter is completely gone