• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Megan install..

Started by StealBlueSho, August 20, 2017, 08:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Installed yesterday and took a couple trips to Home Depot...

1: Megan has not corrected the end-link hole on the front shocks. It is too small, you will need a good 9/16th drill bit that can eat some metal. We ended up having to get a new one since the one I had was not sharp enough.

2: The bolts supplied with the rear struts to connect it back into the control arm are not the correct thread pattern. Ended up needing a 14mm x 2.0 nylon lock nut, one of each side. I'm sure you could use the ones that come with them, power through the threads, and it would be tight. However, it's not the correct nut.

Air tools are a must! (Or I am just lazy)I did replace the axle nut on the fronts just for peace of mind as they used to say one time use only back in the day. The ones I pulled off did not say that, I'm sure I could have just put some loc-tite on the threads, and been just fine. But I already had the new ones in hand.

To disengage the the control arm from the hub does not require you to compress the springs as the guy on YouTube did. Just use a pry bar to separate it. It does help to have someone to swing the hub out of the way while you are keeping the two pieces separated.

Total install time was about 8hrs, this included two runs to Home Depot, lunch, awhile trying to get the holes drilled out with crap bits, and replacing a wheel bearing.

Overall ride quality is awesome. I have all four corners set to 9 on the dampening settings which seems a good middle ground for going around town. I have not had an alignment yet and I am still tweaking the ride height as I want more rake... right now the rear is about 1/2inch taller than the front measuring from the ground.

And I didn't take measurements pre install so I am shooting in the dark as far as ride height.

Big thanks to BPD for the recommendations.

Big thanks to EPP for some install pointers, fast shipping, and great customer service

Shout out to sbouvia for offering to come out and help!! Sorry we couldn't make it work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Wasted no time gittin' 'er done :).  Good going!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

She is dirty and for sure the springs haven't settled yet... but gives an idea of the stance.. rear camber is off quite a bit... a little rake to her... might lift the rear another 1/4 inch... dunno yet...

I need to understand how I need to adjust to rear spring... right now it's a wag... the strut height in the rear is a no brainer..

ZSHO

IMO it looks good with any Stance,enjoy. Z  :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TokyoRick

Looks awesome

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RFS (Respect Family Speed)

bpd1151

That drop in the @$$ end looks wonderful. Great job on the install.

Many many miles of enjoyable riding with them my friend!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

Looks fantastic, I too prefer a little rake...

How is the ride?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 20, 2017, 11:24:13 AM
Looks fantastic, I too prefer a little rake...

How is the ride?

Is the rake noticeable still? I have been monkeying with it so much I need other eyes to tell me...

Ride is night and day difference! No body roll in the turns, the front doesnt come up much from a dig.. to be fair, I think the stock rear shocks were on their last legs... but man it was worth the money.

When dampening set to 9 it felt like a slightly stiffer typical sports car... at 4 you feel EVERYTHING on the road and is a bit jarring...

I'm happy with it... just need vindication on the rake... lol

StealBlueSho

Before

After:

Driveway does have slope.

boostedflex

Thanks for the info!  Mine hopefully goes in this week to get them installed.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

SHOdded

I think it could use maybe a half inch more in rear to give it a proper rake ..
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TokyoRick

My thoughts exactly Shodded then your golden SteelBlue

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

RFS (Respect Family Speed)

FoMoCoSHO

Looking at the driveway pic I'm thinking a little higher in the rear...

bpd1151

Very slight. Like very. Not sure you'd wanna tuck those rear tires in any further too be honest.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 20, 2017, 01:53:18 PM
Very slight. Like very. Not sure you'd wanna tuck those rear tires in any further too be honest.

I keep extending the shocks but I am not getting more height... not sure what the deal is...