• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

p0316 misfire

Started by FoshoMatt, August 20, 2017, 12:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoshoMatt

Well I have good news this time I guess lol I got the codes to pop up this time and I didn't clear them. I have 8 of them lol. P0306,P0316,P0420,P0430,U0253,UU0131,C1280, I still wonder why I have 02 codes when I have stock downpipes back on.

SHOdded

How long (time/miles) have you had the stockers back on?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoshoMatt

No longer than a few days. I just don't wanna clear the codes cause I finally have the misfire codes for when I bring it in on Tuesday lol

SHOdded

yup gotta have codes for the dealership to work with.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoshoMatt

Some techs at my work said it could be a head gasket maybe or the rings around the piston. But the ford tech didnt put a scope down there. They had there scan tool say it was losing compression. They didnt tell me the cause. But thanks everyone for the help. I take it in the next few days so ill keep y'all updated! Thanks for the help guys!

SHOdded

Hmm, a power balance test maybe?  Looking forward to updates, hoping for the best!

FoshoMatt

UPDATE: Well Good news I would say. Found out cylinder head is going to be replaced. I think he said burned exhaust valve.

SHOdded

First one I've heard that has not had a block replaced for an internal engine issue, IIRC.  Hope they found the right culprit, and as long as Ford is paying :thumb:

FoshoMatt

Yes im just happy ford it paying it lol. But its just weird cause my extended I bought ends in like 4 months. So Im glad this happen'd now. I just curious what caused it to burn out? Could I be running lean? I have LMS tuned and catless downpipes.

SHOdded

Hard to say.  Could be the engine is running lean, could be there is deposit buildup around the valve seats, could be inadequate cooling, ...  Once they actually take a look at the valves, they will know better.  May not be just the one, may be others on their way out as well.  It IS true that a tune runs leaner.  In order to make more power with the same fuel, that's one of the parameters normally adjusted.  But hard to tie it down to that, as there is literally no data/anecdotal evidence on this type of event in (at least) the transverse 3.5EB.

FoshoMatt

Well heres one more update lol. They found the piston cracked. So Im getting a whole new motor. Maybe one of the rockers broke? that what caused the valve to bend and possibly crack the piston? I did ask the service manager if the tune made it do all this and he said no cause ford knew they had problems with this engine?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoshoMatt on September 20, 2017, 06:49:15 PM
Well heres one more update lol. They found the piston cracked. So Im getting a whole new motor. Maybe one of the rockers broke? that what caused the valve to bend and possibly crack the piston? I did ask the service manager if the tune made it do all this and he said no cause ford knew they had problems with this engine?

Replaced under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

ANY tune absolutely can cause a cracked piston or engine failure.

A tune can cause a cracked piston by eliminating failsafes meant for protection. Or by simply increasing torque and horsepower while even retaining factory failsafes.

If i was not prepared to absorb and accept the possibility of catastophic engine failure i would not tune a car, mine included.

Can these 3 bar tunes live a long happy life, sure. Can they cause premature failures or expose a weak component that otherwise would not have failed, absolutely.

There is an assumed level of risk with tuning.

The things that i believe will offer the safest outcome are using a tuner that has a philosophy and approach that you aggree with and discussing goals and having open communication during the process.

Its hard to have your cake and eat it too....you want a low 12 second car and no worries and a factory warrenty and awd and comfort...go spend 80k on an audi or benz...many of us have reached that level of performance and comfort with sho's that cost 15-45k...pretty good in my book

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Rigorous maintenance goes hand in hand with performance mods.  Cannot be emphasized enough.  But yes there are some limitations built into the 3.5 EB.

FoshoMatt

Update: got the car back finally! It runs good and everything but only a few concerns. The start up doesn't sound nearly the same as it did when I had my other motor? Idk if it's because I haven't heard the car in over a month? Or is it maybe cause it's supposed to sound like that. Second is I already smell a burning oil smell?  And idk if it's me but it looks like a newer sho engine to?