• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New wheels ordered - 22x9 and 22x10 custom from L&B Forged

Started by Lanson, August 04, 2013, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Hi folks,

I got to talking with this custom shop from, believe it or not, a Craigslist ad.  The place is called L&B Forged.  I've been in discussion with them and I've placed an order for these:

Exact specs will be (so far)

22x9 front, ~37mm offset (may change), 22x10 rear ~37mm offset (may change)
3 piece (may be 2, depends on offsets and fitment testing in the end)
Forged wheel center and barrel
Center is ball-milled, brushed and powdercoated clear
Lip is polished reverse lip

Build time should be 10 days to fab and paint, so I should see them in a couple weeks.

I'll withhold pricing, but they are more affordable than most 3 piece forged wheels and should be a great value.  I'll also withhold any further review of them until I get them in my hands, and then mounted.

I'll be using 265/35-22 all around, which works well in a 9" as well as a 10".  No stagger issues here!
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Bigfoot

2011 SHO
2013 5.0

SoCalSHO

Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

DJE624

Very cool.  Can't wait to see the "installed" shots!

CooperS7777

2014 Sport
2010 Evo GSR
2006 TBSS "The Van" - Blown 416 LS3
A slew of other boring toys

Lanson

Yesterday the rear set of 22x10 came in!

Here's some pretty pics:

Very good details, IMO.  Brushed finish means the machine marks are not covered up.  All is coated with a pretty good powdercoat clear finish.  Not perfect, but very good. 

Test fit went well, it is a tight fit but looks like no modification will be necessary. 

Hopefully the fronts will get here today, along with the center caps.  From there, I'll get the TPMS figured out, and get tires on these babies.

Oh, they aren't light at all, BTW.  Being a custom made piece, there was no way to tell how heavy they would be until done.  37.5 lbs by my rough measurement.  I measured them by weighing myself, then weighing myself holding one, then subtracting myself.  The front should weigh less thankfully, but don't purchase this style for its weight benefits!  LOL.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Thanks guys, hope it all goes well getting them installed and all that.  I've heard 3 piece wheels can be a slight pain to keep up with.  I did find a shop willing to install tires on these, not many shops wanted the job since one slip with the tire spoon and they owe me big time.

Should be just a couple days before I can get these ready to romp, and I'll post more when that happens.

Lanson

Hello again, fronts came in and I can produce some pics here for you.

The fronts were on my porch when I came in this afternoon, and I tested them out just like I did the rear.  This time, I lifted the car by the frame, then used another jack to lift the suspension control arm and test range of movement.  I'll try to detail what I saw in the pics.  Front wheel is 22x9 and that is mostly due to a smaller lip.  Center caps came in but I'm not happy with their fit, so I'm going to work on that before I show you how they look.

This is how much clearance I have to the strut, looks to be 15-16mm

Compressed the control arm a bit for a drop

This is maximum compression that I could get out of my jack without stressing the arm, looks to be about ride height with lowering

Fits very well, I'd say if I were playing "hellaflush" games, I would have about 5mm before being perfectly flush, but I think with 265 tires this will be a really good fitment

Tomorrow and Friday are my days in mind to get the TPMS squared away, and some tires installed.  Here's hoping it all works out.

DJE624

Can't wait to see the job done.  It looks like you have a good fit. 

SHOdded

A game of inches mm's at this point.  Nailbiting suspense!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jomc111

Rims look nice cant wait to see it with tires mounted
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

Lanson

Finally got them installed!

TPMS will have to wait, the expensive adapters I bought turned out to not be compatible with our type of stem.  They work with stem type but not Ford style apparently.  I will likely just have the shop drill a hole in the rear barrel, and mount them there.  They would need the wheels for 24 hours while all the sealant dried up before mounting a tire, so I figured I'd do that on the first "rotation", which will involve the tire coming off the rim and swapping from the 10" rear to the 9" front.  I'll probably do that every 5 to 8k, and it will run me about $60. 

Center caps are still being dealt with, as I don't like the current ones that came with the wheels.  L&B should be sending me new ones that meet my spec better.

They are "flush" in the front and the rear, pretty much.  Hard to photograph this but the lip on both front and rear is right on point for a flush fit.  If I were going for "hella flush, I would need a massive drop and probably a 1/2" more lip on all sides around.  This isn't really my style but I can see the appeal for maybe a big car show or something.  As it stands, this is "functional flush" while still actually sitting a little tall for my tastes. 

Until I can lower it on coilovers or something, this is my ride height and I'm OK with it.  Staggered 1" in the rear with 265/35-22 all around was a good choice, and the Toyo Extensa HP are really good looking IMO.  The tire has a good wheel guard all around and flushes with the rear wheels while actually making a protective ring around the more narrow fronts.  Very happy about that.  They ride better than the stock Goodyears, so far.  Yep, the 18" Goodyears ride worse than the 22" Toyos, I said it.

If you can handle the slight annoyance and expense of staggering (mainly when it comes to rotation is where the cost comes in), I highly recommend it.  We were deeply concerned about the rear brake hose mount hitting a tire or wheel but everything turned out A-OK. 

I'm happy!

DJE624

Looks really good Lanson!  Hope they get your caps straightened out and to you soon.  The tires look great and with the coil overs you'll really be stylin'!