• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

70 psi on cylinder 3

Started by MKTDave, August 15, 2017, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKTDave

New to the forum, need some advice. 2010 MKT,3.5 ecoboost, right at 90k. Missing bad on #3. Took it to dealer, they say leaking into crankcase. Oil standing on top of piston. Told me I need an engine. Quoted me $8700 bucks. Does this sound right? They couldn't tell what broke. The miss started on the way home from vacation on the highway just cruising along about 75 mph. Car has always had Mobil one motor oil.

irondoor19

How far did you drive it after the problem...?
IF NOT TO FAR....We Recommend the following....
Pull Motor, Inspect, Prob Bad Rings... Rebuild turbos, Etc.

8700 bucks for What:...... 3 year 36 month Warranty...?
Motor on a Deal was 5100.00 (1000.00 Core) So not that bad.

We just did this, and it is a Major Pain in the *&^%, other alternative is a
Junk yard Motor (LKQ is my first Recommendation) With a warranty...
Get a Low mileage motor Only.. Where are you located....?
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOdded

Sorry to hear :(  at this time a 2013+ engine is easier and cheaper to secure in the used market.  There are a few differences to note, but easily surmountable.  There is a thread on here that documents  that.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7401.msg116232.html#msg116232
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKTDave

So I live in St.Louis, car started missing right on the Mississippi/Alabama border on a Saturday night. I changed the plugs then limped it home about 400 miles. I know, not the best but we had to get home. Hell where I was in Mississippi they didn't even have a car rental place. Pretty sure the failure happened before the drive home though because the check engine light started flashing and never stopped. So the 8700 quote is a ford rebuilt motor, 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. All fluids and taxes and installation. And changing plugs and swapping around coil packs is about the extent of my experience working on this car. I don't think I could accomplish a swap in the driveway.

pmezo33

With low compression and oil on the cylinders, most likely your piston rings are shot on that cylinder.

For a seven year old car, I'd just pull the best salvage yard engine I could find and install that.  Turbos and all.   You won't be spending near the $9k the dealer wants.

ZSHO

I'm not quite sure how much you have invested in the car but sometimes U can find a descent PI motor in the salvage yard and Best of luck and due setup an Intro at your earliest convenience,thanks. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Blackhawk

Sucks to hear, as other have said go with a salvage motor.  Doesn't really make financial sense at all to put 8700 into a 2010.

MKTDave

First off, thanks to everyone for the input. I'm not sure that putting in a salvage engine is that much of a savings. I don't know what a salvage engine costs, but let's say it's 1500? So I save 2600 bucks or so. I would think the install is gonna cost the same as it is a job that's way out of my league. The worst part is I have only owned the car for about 20 months and still owe over  11k on it. Dealer said they would give me 2k for it. No way can I do that. I just put pads rotors and compliance bushings on it, that was 1200. And everything else on the car is like new. It is in beautiful condition. I kind of feel like I'm stuck having to go with the rebuilt ford motor.. At least it would have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.

pmezo33

A shop should do the install for about $1000. A salvage engine is already built.  It's basically just plug and play.  You should be able to get the whole job done for about $3500 or so.   That's a lot better than $8700. 

Do you really want to be $19,700 upside down on a car that's almost 8 years old with almost 100k miles on it? That's completely insane.

And who charged you $1200 for brakes, rotors, and bushings?  That's also completely insane.

ZSHO

Correct me if i'm wrong but the same Dealer that sold you the car offered you $2,000. Z   :o

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

MKT's are rare and really nice rides!  Hope it works out one way or another.  Sorry for your troubles!
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on August 16, 2017, 12:04:05 AM
Try this link, it searches for 2013 3.5EB engines
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=FC%40BO&userSide=&userDate=2013&userDate2=2013&dbModel=44.13.1.1&userModel=Lincoln%20MKT&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=600000000000000000447884978&userPreference=price&userZip=63101&userLat=38.6312&userLong=-90.1926&userIntSelect=1354071&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

You can set the criteria by going to
http://www.car-part.com

There you go... $1500 for an engine with 56k miles on it and right in your neighborhood.   No turbos on that one, but that same salvage yard has turbos for sale for $200 a pop.  Make them an offer for the package.  I'm sure you can work something out. 

You may even be able to just reuse your turbos.  You're dealing with bad pistons rings, not a metal shaving issue here, so i don't see why it would be a contamination issue.  Am i right here?  Just reuse your own turbos.

And call around to some shops for price quotes for the install.  Don't give this dealer of yours a penny more of your money.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=All+States&userIMS=&userInterchange=%3F%3FD&userSide=&userDate=2010&userDate2=2010&dbModel=44.13.1.1&userModel=Lincoln%20MKT&dbPart=321.1&userPart=Turbocharger%2FSupercharger&sessionID=200000000000000001121121612&userPreference=zip&userZip=63101&userLat=38.6312&userLong=-90.1926&userIntSelect=1354115&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

MKTDave

So I brought the car home last night. The engine on that link that is nearest me is from a 2013 Taurus. I guess that will swap right in? If I could get the labor for 2k and the engine for 1500 I'd be super happy. Just for the record, the dealer where the car was looked at, isn't where I bought it. I talked with the service manager where I bought it yesterday and she wants me to bring it to them. She said they would diagnose it for free and she also said if it needed an engine, it would be less than 8700. So I'm gonna see what they say then I'll move forward the most economical way. Thanks again guys for all the help, this seems like a great community. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well.

irondoor19

AS it went horribly bad (thru no fault of yours)
we All hope that it gets repaired with the least possible cost,
and you get it back on the road again in a timely manner.  ;)
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,