• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E85 Blenders please chime in.

Started by Blackhawk, August 14, 2017, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerricksSho

FoMoCoSHO your on a 45% blend with stock components no aftermarket pump? That is BEAST!!! congrats...
BrewCityBoost tuned,3 Bar, LMS thermostat
CAI M-Design upgraded stock turbo's
LMS down pipes (Catless) 3" Custom exhaust
H&R springs with spacers 275 40/20 4 corners Power Stop drilled and slotted rotters.... MODS must go on!!

Brucelinc

Back to this thread for a second....   Even if the fuel system can handle it, I wonder if too much E85 could hurt performance?  My Continental fuel system can handle all the E85 I can throw at it.   I am the running the 4th revision what Brad is calling an E50 tune.   Our latest revision looked the best on the logs and feels very strong but I was probably only running about 35-40% ethanol when we logged it.  Boost and timing looked good to Brad.

I carefully refueled to get a 50% mix and took it to the track but car was slower than it was with an earlier version when I was running a lesser E mix.    Could too much octane (burning more slowly) hurt performance if timing is maxed out?

Brucelinc

Wow, I thought some of you E gurus would comment on my last post.  I guess I will have to answer my own question at the track.   I will run less E next time.    I have to think the added octane of the 50% mix hurt my performance compared to the 35% mix I ran before.    Brad was fine with my logs at 35% so I am not worried about detonation.

SHOdded

Fomoco has been running E45 so far with good results, maybe E50 is the point of no return?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

That's a good question... I have never heard more octane being an issue than you are tuned for... more just a fail safe.

E85 burns cooler so I would think it would help overall... so not sure why you would run slower? You are having to throw more fuel at the car to achieve the same power but as long as the fuel system is still able to keep AFR then I don't see where the issue would be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

I never blended more than E30 with Brad... but never took it to the track to compare...

Brucelinc

I know Brad is busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger so I haven't heard from him for awhile.   He has always said that my fuel system was not an issue and the pressure held up fine.   I think he added 4 degrees of timing for the "E50" tune.   I wonder if the car might need even more spark to take advantage of a 50% mix.   There is just no other explanation for slower times with 50% Ethanol vs 35% that I ran before except that the additional E just slowed the burn rate too much. 

Note that I an NOT criticizing Brad at all.  This is the first 3.0 Continental than anyone has tuned and it does seem to respond differently to tuning than the 3.5 ecoboost.   

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Brucelinc on September 02, 2017, 10:37:40 AM
I know Brad is busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger so I haven't heard from him for awhile.   He has always said that my fuel system was not an issue and the pressure held up fine.   I think he added 4 degrees of timing for the "E50" tune.   I wonder if the car might need even more spark to take advantage of a 50% mix.   There is just no other explanation for slower times with 50% Ethanol vs 35% that I ran before except that the additional E just slowed the burn rate too much. 

Note that I an NOT criticizing Brad at all.  This is the first 3.0 Continental than anyone has tuned and it does seem to respond differently to tuning than the 3.5 ecoboost.   

How much slower are we talking? Could it be environmental?

Brucelinc

It was only a tenth slower but the DA was 1000 feet more favorable with the 50% mix.  I was running a revised tune that looked better on the logs than before.  The boost and spark were holding up better and Brad liked what he saw.  I was expecting it to be quicker considering the better air and the better log.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Brucelinc on September 02, 2017, 11:02:10 AM
It was only a tenth slower but the DA was 1000 feet more favorable with the 50% mix.  I was running a revised tune that looked better on the logs than before.  The boost and spark were holding up better and Brad liked what he saw.  I was expecting it to be quicker considering the better air and the better log.
How much time on tune?

Where is your spark max set vs mbt?

Got log?