• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E85 Blenders please chime in.

Started by Blackhawk, August 14, 2017, 02:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawk

I am getting ready to load my e30 tune and was wondering how you calculate to e30 with fuel still in the tank.  I know it is 93 with 10% E but how do I know how much is left in the tank?  I plan on running it down to 0 miles left but there has to still be a gallon or 2 left in there.   Thanks for  the help in advance.

Macgyver

Your tank size is the known value. You know you are at 93 and have a 19 gallon tank. You want to know how many gallons of E85 to add. Online calculators are your best friend. I think E30 is 5 gallons of E85 for a SHO with a 19 gallon tank.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

But dont you want to shoot for a known octane not just a E30 number?

bpd1151

The other variable to consider, is that the SHO employs saddle type tanks, whereas you/we have two LPFP's and whatever you dump in on the psgr side where the fill nozzle is at, is not necessarily what is getting pumped over onto the driver's side tank, and ultimately up to the engine itself.

Another reason why I am NOT a fan of mixing, etc.

Toss in the variation(s) of phase separation due to storage, etc. & that's just yet another monkey tossed into the equation.

Egads I say!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Plenty of variables for sure, hopefully by filling it up the "humps" will mix enough.

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 14, 2017, 06:08:32 PM
The other variable to consider, is that the SHO employs saddle type tanks, whereas you/we have two LPFP's and whatever you dump in on the psgr side where the fill nozzle is at, is not necessarily what is getting pumped over onto the driver's side tank, and ultimately up to the engine itself.

Another reason why I am NOT a fan of mixing, etc.

Toss in the variation(s) of phase separation due to storage, etc. & that's just yet another monkey tossed into the equation.

Egads I say!

Blackhawk

That is another way of looking at for sure assuming the pumps would cut me off at 19 gallons exactly.  When mixing E85 it seems the percentage of ethanol is what tuners really look at since the stock fuel system can only handle so much.

Quote from: Macgyver on August 14, 2017, 03:50:45 PM
Your tank size is the known value. You know you are at 93 and have a 19 gallon tank. You want to know how many gallons of E85 to add. Online calculators are your best friend. I think E30 is 5 gallons of E85 for a SHO with a 19 gallon tank.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

But dont you want to shoot for a known octane not just a E30 number?

FoMoCoSHO

So a few things...

There is about exactly 2 gallons reserve on my car and at 1 gal you are pushing( Don't ask, I did it for science, lol)

Don't worry about the saddle tanks, on a refueling event LTFT correction stops and the ecm only uses STFT correction for about 7 miles then it locks in the LTFT. Your fuel will be well blended by then. Once you get good at it your LTFT won't have changed after it relocks in. Just don't beat on the car till you see STFT back around one. I always put E in first then top off with 93 just in case some fiat causes my foot to get heavy on the way to Shell.

On the initial tank I'd calculate the entire 19. Now I only calculate what is going in with the 4 segments of the gauge worth 4.25 gallons each. (17 total) This has been a much better system for me and as long as I use my normal brands, trims really don't change. Side note, BP seems to be a bit heavy on the E in my area.

Make sure you use the best top tier you can find as your base fuel

Do you have a blend calculator?

You might also want to look up your seasonal alcohol content based on region at the EPA website.

If you're worried about phase separation (I'm not, I fill up about every 4 days) run a bottle or two of HEET through the system every so often.

Personally I wouldn't get too uptight about your blends. I've tested every possible blend, including straight E85...tuned for it, not tuned for it, basically every inadvisable thing you can think of totaling about 50K between 2 SHO's...Keep in mind, the car will feel at its best when its done right and your stoich is dialed in and your trims are around one.

bpd1151

LOL @ the FIAT causing your foot to get heavy.

Good stuff right there.

AJP turbo

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 14, 2017, 10:52:20 PM
LOL @ the FIAT causing your foot to get heavy.

Good stuff right there.

Fomo hates Dodges err uhm Fiats....LOL I think eventually he will own one since deep down I know he loves him some Dodge

I've never met Fomo but I think this is him in the pic so don't let him fool you on his Fiat love.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

hawkeye93

I use this app on my phone for my E30 mix:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kennethnissel.e85&hl=en

I've also found that I get a very accurate estimate of the amount remaining in my tank from the fuel gauge, calculating from an 18 gallon tank, not 19 gallons.  That is, if my fuel gauge indicates a quarter tank remaining, I enter 4.5 gallons in the app.  And I enter 18 gallons as the tank size in the app.

I also test the ethanol content from my local E85 station using an ethanol tester:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTSIEZQ/

I test about once a month, because the ethanol content varies by season.  I've been using this system for several months, with great success.  I mix with 92 octane from Costco.

2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

Colorado-SHOBro

QuoteI've tested every possible blend, including straight E85...
FoMo. . . Are you pretty settled in on E45 tune in your sig being the happy place for the blends you've tested? At a certain level did you reach a point of diminishing returns on increasing the Ethanol content? Just curious for some feedback since your the pioneer of the E blend testing with Brad.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

f8tlSHO

The initial blend from e10 will be the most inaccurate the car will be as long as you are consistent. I have been running my e30 tune since the middle of winter. Gotta remember the e content changes . I checked it in the winter it was e70, so it will change how much you need to mix. I have not checked it during the summer because my fuel pressure has been fine and the car runs great even though I am prob mixing it higher than e30 at this point. I put 5.25 gallons e85 9.75 gallons of 93 e10 in my car when the light comes on. In my car that's about 3 gallons left in the tank. That way I know I will never mess up my mixture because I can't add enough 93 cause it's full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

Blackhawk

Thanks for the advice all, going to try the full tank method to start based on 19 gallons.  I'll put in 5.07 gallons on E85 and then fill the tank up with 93 E10.  After that I will use the gauge.

Macgyver

All good and such but are we not after the E30 Octane rating per say and not just the E30 rating? I have seen E85 at 100oct and E85 at 105 ?

AJP turbo

Quote from: Macgyver on August 15, 2017, 08:17:10 PM
All good and such but are we not after the E30 Octane rating per say and not just the E30 rating? I have seen E85 at 100oct and E85 at 105 ?

Yes but you need to be careful not to have too much E% because that will tax the fuel system which can potentially bring on more issues so being somewhat precise with your mix and not exceeding a desired E% is important.

I say better to be low on E% and have a tune with too much spark advance and allow the knock sensors to protect you than to have too much E% and low fuel pressure and an environment that invites pre-ignition that the knock sensors may not be able to save you from.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on August 15, 2017, 01:28:39 PM
QuoteI've tested every possible blend, including straight E85...
FoMo. . . Are you pretty settled in on E45 tune in your sig being the happy place for the blends you've tested? At a certain level did you reach a point of diminishing returns on increasing the Ethanol content? Just curious for some feedback since your the pioneer of the E blend testing with Brad.
Love E45...easy to mix and now we have full pressure on the rail...Brad is a tuning wizard!

I think the point of diminishing returns is about E65 but don't get me wrong, E45 has plenty of effective octane.